PDA

View Full Version : 65mm stories

ignatiusjk
14-Nov-2010, 15:58
Have any of you used a 65mm lens on a 4x5,if so how did it work?

Gary Beasley
14-Nov-2010, 16:05
Worked great on my Anba Ikeda, a bit harder to set up on my Ebony. The ground glass is pretty hard to get a good view of all the image because of the corners darkening. Not from lack of coverage but from a mismatch in the FL of the fresnel and the 65mm.

jnantz
14-Nov-2010, 22:13
i use one all the time on a toyo view camera and a speed graphic.
it took me a long time to find one, for the right price, but it was worth
the long wait ...

IanG
15-Nov-2010, 03:27
I use an older 65mm f8 Super Angulon on my Wista, it's a bit fiddly as the Compur 00 shutters aren't the easiest, no preview lever, and I have to use rear tilt to drop the front of the camera out of the frame and corresponding front tilt (backwards) to compensate.

Sounds harder than it is in reality and I've made some excellent images with it, you'd need a centre filter for colour work but with B&W I don't find it a problem it just covers 5x4 nicely..

Ian

Eugene van der Merwe
15-Nov-2010, 05:56
Schneider 65mm SA F8 worked great on a flat board on a technika color, till I dropped it in the ocean, continued to work well after being fixed until it got stolen... The lens is lovely and compact, the Compur 00 is a little fiddly like mentioned above, mostly because it's so tiny. It seemed sharp enough compared to newer lenses i have now, but coverage is very marginal for 4 x 5, tiny movements are all you'd get. I've tried a newer MC f5.6 version, much the same except slightly brighter and with a nicer shutter. Unless you really need the extra width a 75 (Super angulon/sw/grandagon etc.) may be more versatile because of the larger IC

ic-racer
15-Nov-2010, 14:36
I was using a 65mm on a Horseman 4x5 FA, but with the bed dropped, the front standard only barely holds on to the rails. It works fine but it is little delicate.

I switched over to using a 125mm on 8x10. Its a more robust setup for me.

Maris Rusis
15-Nov-2010, 15:29
I use a 65mm Nikkor-SW on a Tachihara GF45 camera. The non-interchangeable bellows are completely compressed and no shift or rise/fall movements are possible. But there is a hack.

The Tachihara 4x5 is designed for a Technika lens board but a custom made flat square board of the right thickness will still work. The next step involves cutting the lens mounting hole as far off centre as possible. Now the lens can be put on the camera in four ways: rise, fall, left shift. right shift. The 4x5 negative is generous and allows a bit of cropping to get the framing right.

The only thing this set-up doesn't deliver is a straight-on centred lens. And nobody uses that anyway. Right?

jb7
15-Nov-2010, 16:04
I use a straight on centered lens-
the 65mm f/8 SA doesn't have any room for movements, save for a little rear tilt or swing, so I built a dedicated camera for it.

It seemed a shame not to be using this lens, after I got a 72mm, so this has breathed some new life into it-

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2660/3813939499_39a21a1d79.jpg

Some more pictures, of it and from it, here-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joseph-jb7/sets/72157624806731242/