PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Negatives

Bob Kerner
13-Nov-2010, 15:54
How do you label your negatives so you can identify them in the future? Do you write on the edges with a ultra-fine marker, label the negative sleeve or something else?

I'm just getting into this and realize I don't have an efficient and effective system once my negatives return from the lab. My master plan is to develop, scan for review (contact sheets) and archiving and then file the keepers in an archival sleeve. I want to tag the scans and the negatives with an ID so I can find them if I ever want a wet print.

I read somewhere about using a fine tipped marker to label the edges of the film. I'm fine with that but want to have other input before I implement a system.

Thank you.

rfesk
13-Nov-2010, 16:57
For really archival marking use an archival marker.

I suggest you use a pigmented ink. I understand that india ink is pigmented. It should last as long as the negative

I mark my negatives on the edges by date. Sometimes add some notes as to place or event.

Mark Woods
13-Nov-2010, 20:13
I make a note on the neg with a red fine Rapidograph. The date and an A,B,C indicator is noted. The neg goes into a file folder with the exposure information and whatever print information exists. It's filed under the title or the content -- depending on what is more "memorable" (i.e., what I can remember).

Hope this helps.

Bob Kerner
13-Nov-2010, 20:36
I make a note on the neg with a red fine Rapidograph. The date and an A,B,C indicator is noted. The neg goes into a file folder with the exposure information and whatever print information exists. It's filed under the title or the content -- depending on what is more "memorable" (i.e., what I can remember).

Hope this helps.

What size pen? I ask because at +$20 for a single pen at my local art shop, I want to buy the right one!

Any reason for red versus black? I read somewhere that black will print as white on a contact sheet.

Oren Grad
13-Nov-2010, 20:58
I label the sleeve. Why deface the negative?

Eric Woodbury
13-Nov-2010, 21:24
You should write in a style that looks like Virginia Adams' writing. That way when your negs show up at a garage sale, somebody will get rich.

jim kitchen
13-Nov-2010, 21:32
Dear Bob,

I label the negative sleeve and not the negative. The negative sleeve is labeled year, month, day, and negative number... :)

Such as this old school format: 10 11 13 10 ...

jim k

Preston
13-Nov-2010, 22:26
I attach a small, handwritten Avery label to each sleeve. The label has my file number, a short descriptive title, and the date.

I would be very hesitant to write anything on the film, since I would be very afraid of causing damage that would ruin it.

--P

Louie Powell
14-Nov-2010, 05:35
I make contact prints that I file in a binder with a data sheet that includes both exposure information and printing records.

I may make notations on the end of the 4x5 negative - most often the date, but if the negative was processed at something other than normal, I may also note N-1, N+1 etc. For these, I use a Rapidograph (size 0) with India ink. Alternatively, I could use a Sharpie, but the Sharpie lines aren't dense enough to be legible on the contact print, while India link leaves bright white lines.

ki6mf
14-Nov-2010, 06:23
I have seen some photographers cut very fine slits into the bottom of film holder where the dark slide fits into the bottom(opposite where you pull it all the way out) part of the holder. They group hash marks in groups of five for larger numbers. This puts series of lines on the border of your film and would not cause issues with the negative. You would keep notes in the field on film holder number exposure time etc and always be able to match the individual negative to the exposure notes.

jnantz
14-Nov-2010, 07:00
unbuffered thumb tabbed envelopes
are inexpensive and readily available
through gaylord brothers.
i write notes on the outside of the envelope
sometimes print times, sometimes series info.

Steve Goldstein
14-Nov-2010, 07:03
I use a 000 (sometimes written as 3X0) rapidograph pen with India ink and mark the edge of the base side, or for 120 in-between frames on the base side.

Size 000 is 0.25mm, I believe the next-smaller 0000 is 0.18mm, and as I recall they're available down to 6X0. I use this pen for other hobbies unrelated to photography, and have found that 000 doesn't clog as readily as 0000. If you go this route, make sure you get some cleaner and clean the pen from time to time. The manufacturer recommends cleaning at every fill, I find about every third fill is fine if I'm using the pen regularly. If it sits for too long (a few months) it will eventually dry out and require cleaning.

James_Spain
14-Nov-2010, 15:18
Does people here use Graf Copywriter to print details on sheet film?

I saw it many years ago in Germany. The negative side is printed with name details very neatly.

I don't know if they are still available.

bobwysiwyg
14-Nov-2010, 15:22
It appears it is still available, kind of pricey though.

http://kohscamera.com/Graf.htm

Bob Kerner
14-Nov-2010, 18:59
Thanks everyone. I picked up a Rapidograph this afternoon.