PDA

View Full Version : Alfred T Palmer

karlmartini
13-Nov-2010, 15:37
I discovered the work of Alfred T Palmer while in first year of my photography degree last year. I should stress the word 'I' as his work was certainly not brought to my attention by any lecturer. While he had a large body of work it is his work in 4x5 colour transparencies for the US Office or War Information (OWA) during WWII that should be worthy of a great deal more merit that it currently enjoys. It simply baffles me why his work is ignored. He doesn't even have a wikipedia page. I know unemployed plumbers who have their own wikipedia entry. I'm not a feminist but if I were I would be championing his work showing women working in aircraft plants building bombers and supporting the war on the home front. If you were to google 'Rosie the riveter' you would soon see his images. I suspect he is not given credit by critics because this project was part of a propaganda effort. Was Alexander Rodchenko's work not propaganda?

I would urge everyone to have a look at his work and marvel at it's technical perfection and the wonder of seeing the what is now a bygone era brought back in perfectly sharp colour as if it were captured yesterday.

I'm having issues posting a link so just google 'Alfred T Palmer' on an image search if you feel inclined.