PDA

View Full Version : Need 8x10 Ground Glass - Feedback request

Jim Cole
13-Nov-2010, 05:16
Has anyone bought an 8x10 ground glass from a seller on eBay named PhotoFixation? He grinds his own.

I need a replacement for my V8 and wanted some feedback on this guy's work before I ordered. My normal Deardorff supplier Attrevida who has the Deardorff Store, doesn't have any listed.

Any other sources folks would recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

IanG
13-Nov-2010, 05:22
That's Steve Hopf's ebay store, he's also know as Brilliant Glass, so you can buy with confidence, his screens are excellent.

I've bought a screen from him he's great to deal with & fast.

Ian

Jim Cole
13-Nov-2010, 05:34
Thanks for the quick response Ian. I was hoping for a good report.

Jim

IanG
13-Nov-2010, 06:09
Jim, Steve Hopf is the only option for custom glass screens now that Geert (GVB) in Belgium and Dave Parker (Satin Snow) have both stopped producing them.

It's very easy to make your own, as it happens I have two spare Agfa Ansco 10x8 screens sat by the table here, but I don't want to sell them. I guess I've made over 25 probably more like 30 screens now since March/April for a variety of formats, quarter plate, 9x12, 5x4, half plate, whole plate & 10x8, total cost under £25 ($40 approx)

I started because I needed too many new screens for various restoration projects, as well a replacements for older dim & gloomy pre WWII screens.

If your prepared to take the time & put in a little effort, it's the other option and quality can easily be comparable.

Ian

Jim Cole
13-Nov-2010, 06:20
Ian,

I have heard that making one is fairly simple and have seen some threads here on how to do it. Perhaps in the future, I'll give it a shot. Right now though, I'll let Mr. Hopf do the work.

Thanks again,
Jim

climbabout
13-Nov-2010, 06:43
Another option is KB Canham in Mesa Arizona - a quick google search will produce his contact info. I have bought screens for my V8 from him in the past and he is also excellent to deal with. I am currently using one of his gridded screens.
Tim

Bob Salomon
13-Nov-2010, 06:46
We have 810 Linhof and 810 Wista gg and fresnel screens in stock that can be ordered from your camera store.

Walter Calahan
13-Nov-2010, 06:48
Steve Hopf makes fabulous GG. I own several. Very quick turn around.

Yesterday was his birthday, so wish him good cheer.

bsimison
13-Nov-2010, 07:58
Surplus Shed also has a stock of 8x10 Kodak ground glass for very little money. I don't know about the quality, though I would love to hear feedback from someone who owns one.

Richard Wasserman
13-Nov-2010, 08:14
Another recommendation for Steve Hopf. I have a couple of his ground glass and they are very nice. He delivers very quickly and is friendly–what more can you ask for?

Frank Bunnik
13-Nov-2010, 08:31
I received a 4x5 screen this week from Steve for my Cambo Wide. Excellent quality and very fast shipping/delivery. The screen was very well packed for the shipment.

Jim Cole
13-Nov-2010, 08:36
Thank everyone for the additional suggestions. I just ordered a GG from Steve.

Jim

peter ramm
13-Nov-2010, 08:37
Just purchased from Steve Hopf a gridded 8 x 10 gg for a Kodak 2D. Prompt, well packed and good product.

sultanofcognac
15-Nov-2010, 08:19
I also recommend Steve Hopf - I've ordered a multitude of glass for my cameras and only he gets my repeat business.

Steve Hamley
15-Nov-2010, 08:35
You might want to order two - shipping is a significant fraction of the cost of shipping glass, and it never hurts to have a spare.

Cheers, Steve

Ari
15-Nov-2010, 08:37
Another bump for Steve Hopf, he's always a pleasure to deal with, and offers very speedy delivery. Send him your specs, and you'll have a new GG in less than a week.

Jim Cole
15-Nov-2010, 09:07
Thanks again for all the responses. I still have the original glass intact in case I break the new one, so ordering two was not necessary. That was a good suggestion, though.

Jim Cole
19-Nov-2010, 05:19
Got the new GG from Steve yesterday. It's very well done and makes the old Deardorff look like new again. Very quick service and I had him clip the corners and add the grid.
Excellent and fast service! I highly recommend Mr. Hopf.

Jerry Bodine
19-Nov-2010, 11:57
Thanks guys for making me think about how to deal with a broken GG situation. I've just finished removing the GG from each of my three view cameras to record all critical dimensions with a micrometer and make a pdf scan of each one, showing the grid markings and clipped corners. Mr. Hopf will get the order if/when I break another one (was never sure how that happened - a crack across the middle without shattering).