PDA

View Full Version : Speed graphic miniature and 120 film

acanalda
12-Nov-2010, 09:09
HI.

I'm new in the forum and also new in LF. Not in MF as I've been taking photos with my rollei since 1980. I have found a very nice Miniature Speed Graphic 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 serial nr 343546.

My cuestión is:

Can I use 120 film in this camera with an adapter? I have read in the forum that is possible with other graflex models but I'm not sure with this Model

if it is possible, wich adapter I need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Arturo

IanG
12-Nov-2010, 09:22
Depends on the type of back, if it's a Graflok then it's easy a Graflex RH10 fits, it's similar to an RB67 back.

If it's a spring back then it's difficult,

Ian

al olson
12-Nov-2010, 10:07
Hi Arturo,

I also have one of the little blighters, serial number 2593xx. The Ektar lens serial number is pre-CAMEROSITY so, as you may guess, it is without a Graflok back.

To date I have only used double-sided film holders. B&W sheet films are available from from time to time from at least two manufacturers, check the Freestyle web site. Used holders are available.

I also have a Graflex 23 roll film holder, but I have never used it. It has never been mounted on the camera and it does not fit on my baby Super Technika either.

You can remove the back panel by unscrewing the screws that hold down the springs.
I understand that some photographers have mounted the Graflex 23 permanently to the camera back. Makes sense if you are only going to use roll film.

It may well be that once the back is replaced by the roll film holder, they use the same springs to hold it in place. If not, it should not be difficult to fabricate a bracket to fasten it on.

Of course you would not have to make these modifications if your camera has a Graflok back.

Cheers,

acanalda
12-Nov-2010, 10:16
Al, Ian, thanks for your help. I'm not sure about the back. Following I enclose a couple of photos.

http://pictures.todocoleccion.net/tc/2010/07/10/20373849_5142344.jpg
http://pictures.todocoleccion.net/tc/2010/07/10/20373849_5142341.jpg

Thanks again

Arturo

Dan Fromm
12-Nov-2010, 11:02
Spring back.

Three ways to use roll film with it.

Replace the spring back with a Graflok back. Easy, but 2x3 Graflok backs are scarce and often cost more than a complete camera.

Give up on using the ground glass and use Graflex' own spring kit to attach a roll holder. There have been many discussions about home-made versions of Graflex' spring kit on www.graflex.org . Go there, read the FAQs, use the search function, look at recent posts, ask. The weak

Or, get a 2x3 Adapt-A-Roll 620. This is a roll holder rather like the Cambo/Calumet C-2 that slips in like a sheet film holder. Read about them on (where else?) www.graflex.org

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

al olson
12-Nov-2010, 14:25
Out of curiosity I tried slipping my Grafmatic film holder under the spring back. It doesn't fit. The C2 for my 4x5 is thicker than the Grafmatic. For this reason, I don't believe that a roll film holder similar to the Calumet C2 will fit under your spring back without some modification.

Dan Fromm
12-Nov-2010, 15:06
Al, the OP asked about a Miniature Speed Graphic. The 2x3 AAR 620 was made to fit, among others, that very camera.

Its good that you can generalize from what you have in hand, but in this case first-hand knowledge is more useful than a well-informed guess. The AAR 620 is similar, not identical, to the C-2. It came first and was offered to fit more sizes of camera (2x3, 3x4, 4x5).

As Packard ads used to say, "Ask the man who owns one."

al olson
13-Nov-2010, 10:08
Dan,

I had no idea there was something like that available to fit my baby Speed. It must be very thin (not much thicker than a double-sided holder) to fit within the gape of baby Speed back. (The 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Grafmatics fit into my baby Super Technika which has a wider opening, but not the Speed.)

If it were possible to find one for sale, does that 620 have meaning with regard to film size? If it means 620 film, the limited availability might mean re-spooling 120 film on 620 spools.

Dan Fromm
13-Nov-2010, 12:26
Al, AAR 620s were made to take 620 film. They will feed from a 120 spool, must take up on a 620 spool. So one needs at least one 620 spool to use an AAR 620.

I have four, use 'em on my 2x3 Graphics, all of which have Grafloks. AAR 620s have perhaps two advantages over Graflex' own roll holders. If loaded carefully, an AAR will give 9 shots on a roll. And, maybe, just maybe, AAR 620s hold film a little flatter than Graflex' own roll holders. I haven't tested this last well, could be mistaken about it.

I respool exposed film from the 620 takeup spool to the 120 spool it came from. This because I send film out for processing and can't count on the lab returning the spool.

Most AAR 620s take the film up emulsion side out. Some have been modified to take it up emulsion side in -- this is the normal way -- and I have one. I have the impression that with it the film doesn't lie perfectly flat at the takeup end of the gate. Again, haven't tested well, just don't use that holder.

You are right about one possible drawback. If the spring back's springs are weak, an AAR can make 'em sag a little.

Re purchase, watch for 'em on eBay. They're not that rare. Just make sure that you get one to fit a 2x3 camera.

Busch made a very similar roll holder for the 2x3 Pressman. Took 120 spools, very very rare.

Cheers,

Dan

Michael Cienfuegos
14-Nov-2010, 23:06
I have a pre-Anniversary Speed, 4x5. I could not put a Grafmatic holder in the spring back, but someone from graflex.org suggested putting a flat washer under the spring where it screws onto the back. It worked, I am able to use the Grafmatic holder with no problems. It may work with your 2x3 Speed. For my 2x3 Speed I was able to find a Graflok back and it fits fine and works well. I have a 6x9 23 Graphic holder on that camera.

al olson
15-Nov-2010, 11:54
Thanks for the tip, Michael. A washer might do the trick. The opening was pretty close to the Grafmatic thickness.