PDA

View Full Version : 600 mm lense for 8 X 10

David R Munson
20-May-2002, 07:35
A few months ago I picked up a 24" Artar off of eBay and have been very pleased with it. It's nice and sharp and is easy to focus, despite being f/11 max aperture (not as dim as I had expected, I guess). Even with the Packard shutter I put on it, it only set me back about $300.00, and the glass is in mint condition. I've never used any other lenses in this focal length, but I don't see why you wouldn't be very pleased with an Artar. If you don't have lots of bellows to work with, you might want to look at a telephoto design if you can find one appropriate to 8x10. With a 24" lens on my Deardorff I can only focus as close as about eight feet at max extension (31"), but I haven't felt limited by this yet.

Walter Glover
20-May-2002, 08:37
Luc,

Speak to Robert White in Poole, England about the Fuji 600mm 'C' lens. A friend has one and it's an absolute cracker. (C'est Aussie pour magnifique!)

Walter Glover

Kent Phelan
20-May-2002, 09:26
I second the opinion on the Fuji 600mm-C. I have used one for approximately 7-8 years on my 8x10 Deardorff. Outstanding lens. The only alternative, IMO, is the 24 inch Artar. The Fuji offers modern conveniences like a Copal shutter (no. 3), and standardized filter size (67mm). Here in the states they are available from Badger Graphics. In Eurpope, I would call Robert White.

This assumes you are looking for a lens for larger than 4x5 use. If it for 4x5 or smaller, there are the telephoto designs from Fuji and Nikon.

Sal Santamaura
20-May-2002, 10:32
Yet another happy Fuji 600mm C owner.

Paul Schilliger
20-May-2002, 11:41
I too find the Fujinon C outstanding. I have used a Fujinon T 600 before and I s hould say that there is nothing to compare, the T is soft and has a fair amount of chromatic aberration. Then, when you close it further than f22, it gets really too soft. You see occasionally a shutterless Apo-Ronar 600 or better: a N ikkor Apo 610 on Ebay, if you are on a tight budget and don't mind big lenses. But they are really big.

Ed Balko
20-May-2002, 14:40
I'm using a 600mm APO-Ronar as a long lens on a 4x5 Speed Graphic. The lens certainly is sharp and the price on these can be quite attractive.

The lens, like all Ronars I'm learning, is quite heavy, weighing more than the camera and extension tube on which its mounted. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again though.

Dick Roadnight
20-May-2002, 19:28
I have a "little" Rodenstock Apo Ronar f9: total weight with manfrotto tripod and Hasselblad 555ELD = 48lb.

I have (comming to me) Aero Ectar 600mm f6.? and Wray 36" (= 900+mm) lenses, these are big, and the rear element of the 900 only just fits in the sinar lensboard.

If you can get to the UK midlands drop in and try them.

Arne Croell
21-May-2002, 06:52
Actually, the Apo-Ronar 600mm is sometimes available (used) in a shutter (Mine came in a Compound no.5). But its huge and heavy.

Natha Congdon
21-May-2002, 20:36
Fuji 600 C f11.5! A very light lens for this focal length, with incredible image circle (600 mm). It is my primary lens for 12X20, as well as a nice 8X10 lens.

Nathan