PDA

View Full Version : Removing Cambo Wide crash bars

Frank Bunnik
7-Nov-2010, 12:44
Hi, I have a Cambo Wide 650 with the 5.6 65mm super angulon lens. I want to use this with a filter system like that made by Lee. Does anyone know how to remove the crash bars between which the lens is fitted?

Thanks for your help, Frank

612tom
8-Nov-2010, 20:02
Hi, I have a Cambo Wide 650 with the 5.6 65mm super angulon lens. I want to use this with a filter system like that made by Lee. Does anyone know how to remove the crash bars between which the lens is fitted?

I used to have one of these, I remember one of the crash bars coming loose one day. I don't think they are screwed or glued in place - they are simply wedged in. If you remove shifting lens panel from the camera and start to move the bars gently they will eventually wiggle free from the lens panel. The 2 red circles show where they would slide out.

Hope that helps

Frank Bunnik
8-Nov-2010, 22:07
Thanks, the pictures shows the camera I have. I thought the might be screwed in so I thought of turning the lenspanel all the way up but I can't find a way to turn it high enough. There is a stop. Anyway, I will try to wiggle them loose. Or I could use a saw...

John Schneider
8-Nov-2010, 22:27
No No NO! :eek: Do NOT use a saw or wiggle it or take a hammer etc. :eek: This is a fine precision instrument, and should be treated as such (as you should know, being Dutch :) ).

If you begin to think about how it must have been assembled, and then work backwards, you will notice the stops on the shift. To remove the stops you must remove the shift knob. There is a tiny metric setscrew holding it in place. Loosen the setscrew and the knob will drop out. Now you can slide the lens panel completely out. Now you'll see two screws that hold each bar in place. Remove the screws, remove the bars, put a dab of black caulk in each screw hole, or cover them on the backside with black tape. Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly.

See also http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=63856&highlight=cambo+wide

And if you don't need the bars, I know someone who could put them to good use. ;)

Frank Bunnik
9-Nov-2010, 14:52
Thanks John, the remark about the saw was not meant serious. I tried to find how the lensplate stops but I could not find it. I removed the clips on the inside but that did not worked so I reinstalled them. I will try your advice later this week. Thanks again,

Frank

GPS
9-Nov-2010, 15:27

Couldn't you just shorten the bars so that they would allow the installation of the filter? They have their good reason to be there and even shorter ones would still be protective.

John Schneider
10-Nov-2010, 10:50
Frank, there aren't separate physical stops per se. Rather, the gear rack cut into the edge of the lens panel stops a certain distance either side of the center of the panel (and panels designed for different lens focal lengths will have differing lengths of the rack). This is good, as you don't have to worry about any alignment when you reassemble the panel, you just drop the knob into place. The clips you removed are for holding a gel and have nothing to do with the crash bars.

Re: GPS's suggestion, you could cut off the ends of the bars, file them flat, and drill and tap them for the attach screws (M5 as I recall). But you'd have to accurately drill the holes in the center of the bars, otherwise the screws won't fit.

Frank Bunnik
11-Nov-2010, 09:41
Well, I just removed the bars just as John adviced how to do it. A simple 5 minute job. The bars are not hollow so indeed, when you shorten them you have to drill and tap a hole. I put some tape over the holes in the plate to cover them and to make sure no light leaks through, though looking from the back the holes never appear but better safe then sorry and it looks better with the holes covered.

Focussing seems easier without the bars anyway.

Thanks again, Frank

tasso.papandreou
12-Mar-2022, 09:47
No No NO! :eek: Do NOT use a saw or wiggle it or take a hammer etc. :eek: This is a fine precision instrument, and should be treated as such (as you should know, being Dutch :) ).

If you begin to think about how it must have been assembled, and then work backwards, you will notice the stops on the shift. To remove the stops you must remove the shift knob. There is a tiny metric setscrew holding it in place. Loosen the setscrew and the knob will drop out. Now you can slide the lens panel completely out. Now you'll see two screws that hold each bar in place. Remove the screws, remove the bars, put a dab of black caulk in each screw hole, or cover them on the backside with black tape. Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly.

See also http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=63856&highlight=cambo+wide

And if you don't need the bars, I know someone who could put them to good use. ;)

NoNoNo Do not do this either unless you focus the lens to near spot first!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otherwise, you WILL scratch the rear element, especially if we are talking about the 470. A friend had this awful experience.
You will also have to find a way to plug the wholes where the crash rails were sitting on to avoid light leaking through. you can try patty if it's a temp solution.