PDA

View Full Version : AB 55 Film developer

Robert Bowring
6-Nov-2010, 15:39
I have been using Cachet AB 55 divided film developer for years. I used to buy it from Freestyle but they no longer carry it. Does anyone know if it is still available and if it is where I can buy some? I have also just obtained a Kearsarge 301 electronic timer from a relative for free. I use an Omega D2 enlarger with an Aristo VCL 4500 variable contrast cold light head. I know that some electronic timers are not compatible with cold light heads. Does anyone know if I can use this timer with my enlarger without damaging the cold light head?

frotog
7-Nov-2010, 06:24
Ab 55 was discontinued over a year ago. Unfortunate since it produced much nicer tones than diafine.

Robert Bowring
7-Nov-2010, 07:49
Thanks for the reply. Too bad because I really liked AB 55. Gave great and easy to print negatives. I have never tried Diafine but I guess I will now.

Robert Perrin
7-Nov-2010, 17:47
If it is of interest, Photographer's Formulary carries a divided D76.

Robert Bowring
9-Nov-2010, 14:58
Thanks. I will give it a try too.

Mark Sampson
9-Nov-2010, 15:05
It would be a good thing for the community if the former manufacturer would publish the formula. That way the faithful could continue to use it, and the knowledge wouldn't be lost.

Robert Bowring
10-Nov-2010, 06:31
It would be nice to know the formula so we can mix it up ourselves. I will try the Al Belson route and see if I can find something. Thanks.

Robert Bowring
12-Nov-2010, 08:38
Have not been able to find Al Belson's formula. Have found out some information on divided developers. It seems that AB 55 is a variation of divided D76.

Jim Noel
12-Nov-2010, 08:53
When Al Belson first came out with is AB55 I had a discussion with him and used it for a time. My understanding led me to believe it was closer to a derivation of D-23 than D-76. I played around with a few derivations of divided D-23 and came up with some reasonable alternatives. I have long since stopped using them and now use mostly pyrocatechol or pyrocatechin developers according to the needs of the image.

frotog
12-Nov-2010, 12:15
What Jim says makes sense as I've done direct comparisons with AB55, divided d-76 and diafine. The latter two looked considerable different from AB55 which gave more pleasing grain structure, better shadow detail and tonal separation similar to that of d23. Do you still have this formula?