PDA

View Full Version : ERKO 9x12

k.hendrik
6-Nov-2010, 07:09
Hello,
this is my first posting here: bought myself an Erko 9x12cm camera from 1928 !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5123593548/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5123741657/
I've got three glass negative holders but no filminserts. I'm trying to get film in this size and thinking about a way to get the film in the glass holders :confused:
The camera itself is almost flawless, no light leaking(I hope) the tube looks like new. The second-hand shop had her in the window: closed ! the guy didn't know how to open the front:D I did.
Thanks for any advice.

Bill_1856
6-Nov-2010, 07:19
Good luck.
I started 60 years ago with a "liberated" 9x12, and it's been downhill ever since.

IanG
6-Nov-2010, 07:24
Didn't I tell you where to get film on APUG about a week ago :D

Some people stick film to an old glass plate or a piece of card with a light dab of honey.

If you search Ebay.de you may find some film inserts, they are more common in Germany than anywhere else. It's a common Database so log in details, watched items etc are the same regardless of Language/Country.

A German speaker here may be able to tell you what they are called in German :)

Ian

k.hendrik
6-Nov-2010, 08:59
Didn't I tell you where to get film on APUG about a week ago :D
A German speaker here may be able to tell you what they are called in German :)
Ian

Don't you push me around :p

"Planfilm Kassetten" & found 1: don't know if the outside messures are ok waiting for an answer. Ordered 9x12 sheets from "Fotoimpex" in Berlin.
thanks

IanG
11-Nov-2010, 05:14
Isn't a "Planfilm Kassetten" a complete film holder (DDS) and usually the modern post WWII International type where 9x12cm shares the same outside dimension as 5x4 inch.

I'm the one you need to give a push :D, I'm still looking for a metal worker who cam fabricate some inserts for me. While the Kodak (Nagel) and Zeiss plate to film converters are pressed most where just a simple thin sheet of metal with 3 edges turned over. I need more to make my 5 9x12 cameras more usable and they are quite hard to find.

So far all the companies I've asked don't work with metal thin enough, but there will be a little workshop out there :D

Ian

Ole Tjugen
11-Nov-2010, 10:15
"Planfilmeinlagen" is what you want. Or "Plattenkassetten mit Einlagen für Planfilme". :)

Sevo
11-Nov-2010, 10:57
"Planfilmeinlagen" is what you want. Or "Plattenkassetten mit Einlagen für Planfilme". :)

Inserts ("Einlagen") fortunately are generic (with very few exceptions) and will fit any 9x12 stamped sheet metal glass plate holder, so you can ignore the different "Falz" standards of the holders as long as you are only shopping for inserts.

k.hendrik
11-Nov-2010, 12:00
Dimensions of my 3 'metal glass plate holder' ERKO 9x12.
length 139.9 width 100.4 & 4.4 mm thick. lip is 4 mm. No further info on the holders.
pics are following.
k.hendrik

Sevo
11-Nov-2010, 12:02
A uniform 4mm lip would make it "Millionfalz".

Ole Tjugen
11-Nov-2010, 15:13
Inserts ("Einlagen") fortunately are generic (with very few exceptions) and will fit any 9x12 stamped sheet metal glass plate holder, so you can ignore the different "Falz" standards of the holders as long as you are only shopping for inserts.

Sometimes a stack of holders with inserts can be found cheaper than the inserts alone. At least they are cheaper at the moment - but then you might start looking for a camera that can use THOSE holders. And then you will need more inserts again...

Cor
12-Nov-2010, 03:50
..and failing to find inserts you can always give wet plate collodion a try..;-)..

Best,

Cor

winterclock
12-Nov-2010, 04:26
Freestyle carries 9x12 Efke B&W, I got more film holders for my Recomar on fleabay. I think I just did a search for 9x12 filmholder. You will find a lot of them out of eastern Europe, watch the shipping costs that's where the hit is. Now I just need to take a picture nice enough to post!

k.hendrik
28-Dec-2010, 02:28
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5229115181/

my first :)

myoptic
10-Jan-2011, 20:26

I just learnt the hard way that there are as you say, 'some exceptions' as I just bought 5 inserts from a guy in Austria, that are just a tiny bit too big for my Voigtlander 9x12 holders. I'll have to find some other ones I guess.

Sevo
11-Jan-2011, 01:41
I just learnt the hard way that there are as you say, 'some exceptions' as I just bought 5 inserts from a guy in Austria, that are just a tiny bit too big for my Voigtlander 9x12 holders. I'll have to find some other ones I guess.

First make sure that there is no plate lock or the like on the holder that has to be pushed aside - some of the more fancy holders had locks, precision guides or ejection tabs that need some extra manipulation while loading.

Inserts adapt between sheet film and plate dimensions, and both are externally defined standards, so that genuine inserts have no opportunity to be different - by their very definition film of the right size must fit them, and they must fit into every holder that can take the corresponding plates.

But there are a couple of other things about that look like inserts without being quite the same, like Grafmatic septums, or the insert-like part of dedicated film holder.