PDA

View Full Version : Compound Shutter guts

Ramiro Elena
6-Nov-2010, 02:04
This is a long shot question but maybe...

I opened up a Compound shutter that came with a Bausch & Lomb Zeiss Tessar 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. Neither M or T settings worked so I wanted to see how it looked in the inside and how this shutter operates.

1- I know you can't cock the shutter when in B or T.
2- Yes, this is a repair that will be carried away by an expert.
3- I am just trying to understand its very basic mechanical operation.

I wonder if anyone here has this same model or knows of a diagram with which I can compare mine to.
Those at SK Grimes site are different than this one. This looks more primitive, it's from 1903.

Here's the gentleman in question:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rEh9o3_jsbA/TNUYltRTANI/AAAAAAAABUc/l8dEnpFsA3I/s640/DSC_6289.JPG

Here's the same guy naked:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_rEh9o3_jsbA/TNUYlJmngZI/AAAAAAAABUU/Gx922vBdTjw/compound-inside-detail.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rEh9o3_jsbA/TNUYlTJVTBI/AAAAAAAABUY/getSzppwS1I/compound-inside.jpg

Thanks!

Math
6-Nov-2010, 02:55
I recently got a lens in a large compound as well, and also T and B do not work (Not cocking the shutter obviously), however, at instant every speed is exactly the same (Fast), is this the same with you as well, and do both have the same origin as a problem?

Philippe Grunchec
6-Nov-2010, 03:30
I think you should get in touch with Maël Bilquey (http://www.photo-technique.com/) who fixed/cleaned my Compounds!
BTW, Limoges is not too far from Barcelona... just in case!

Steven Tribe
6-Nov-2010, 03:43
If it was me - I would move the bottom selector to all 3 positions and see if one of the mechanisms which should be activated/deactivated isn't working properly. There seem to be a lot of surface/surface sliding pieces which would be sensitive to grime/stale lubricant build-up. But don't do anything else as these compounds are gems!

Ramiro Elena
6-Nov-2010, 04:21
Math, nine doesn't even stay cocked. I need to help it do all of its movements with my finger. Just by pressing lightly on the firing lever, it stays cocked and then, I can fire it. The speed is a fast one. I haven't even bothered with that yet (nor I think I will ever.)

Thanks Philippe! You just saved me trying to find the post with the European repair shops. I will write to him this weekend.

Steven, I tried that and at least M and T seem to work with a little help. The M lever (bottom right) doesn't want to do its thing by itself. That's why I am thinking:

a) There's a piece (screw, wire...) missing.
b) Some, if not all, of the parts need to be tightened or adjusted.

I should make a video as it is a very simple matter but hard to explain with words.

erie patsellis
6-Nov-2010, 07:41
Mike Butkus has a manual titled " Illustrated guide and descriptions of Photographic Inter-Lens Shutter..." that has a good illustration of the parts and pieces. (good enough for me to overhaul the Compound that came with my 210 Angulon "as-is" and it works like a champ now)

Paul Fitzgerald
7-Nov-2010, 08:45
"Those at SK Grimes site are different than this one. This looks more primitive, it's from 1903"

B&L was licensed to build Compound shutters in the US BUT they are very different from German Compound shutters, the parts do not interchange. The basic concepts are the same so your tech should not have too much bother with a CLA.

Good luck with it.

domaz
8-Nov-2010, 11:17
It looks pretty grimy. It probably wouldn't hurt (and might actually help) to soak a Q-Tip in lighter fluid (zippo type) and clean off some of that grim from the parts.

Ramiro Elena
8-Nov-2010, 11:23
It looks pretty grimy. It probably wouldn't hurt (and might actually help) to soak a Q-Tip in lighter fluid (zippo type) and clean off some of that grim from the parts.

The photo is from "after" the q-tip + lighter fluid actually :S
There are too many things going wrong with this fellow at this point so I'll save it for future repair.
The "Illustrated guide and descriptions of Photographic Inter-Lens Shutter..." came in handy as I was able to spot a missing (broken) tension wire and a couple more things.

Thanks for all the comments.

erie patsellis
9-Nov-2010, 08:13
I wouldn't rule out Carol @ Flutot's, as she may be able to get it working just fine.

Marc B.
14-Nov-2010, 18:20
Carol's website still states they are not taking any new work at this time.
Email her to see if you can get your lens on the waiting list.

Ramiro Elena
15-Nov-2010, 02:04
Carol was my first thought but I'd rather send it off somewhere closer if possible... and she seems to be pretty busy anyway.