PDA

View Full Version : Test Major Silver Chloride Papers

Pawlowski6132
5-Nov-2010, 21:34
So, tonight I printed on:

Fomalux 111 G3
Lodima G3
AZO G2

I contact printed an 8x10 negative: Kodak Plus-X developed in PMK Pyro. Paper was developed in Amidol and toned in Kodak Rapid Selenium toner.

Anywho, I don't have a scanner so, can't show you the results. I think that would be a waste of time anywho due to the Analog to Digital conversion.

But, if anyone is interested, I'm willing to ship all three prints along with the negative with more detail information.

Is anyone interested?

Richard K.
5-Nov-2010, 21:55
Sure, I'd like to see them...what do we do?

Pawlowski6132
5-Nov-2010, 22:01
Gimme your address. I'll send 'em on my dime. You just have to promise to send 'em back when your done. Or, if someone also wants them while you have them. Please forward the prints to them.

Also, I won't tell you which is which until you've looked at them.

Richard K.
5-Nov-2010, 22:06
Deal. I'm PMing you my address...

BOB MURPHY
6-Nov-2010, 00:15
Put me on that list.

Forrest Atkins
6-Nov-2010, 08:00
Very interested...pm sent

Bruce Barlow
6-Nov-2010, 08:39
Yeah, but what did YOU think? And why?

Pawlowski6132
6-Nov-2010, 08:57
Ok, here's the list in order of those who will be receiving the box:

1. Richard K
2. Bob Murphy
3. Forrest Atkins.

Please plan to keep the box for no longer than two weeks. Also, please post your impressions back here. Richard K. Please contact Bob for his address when you're ready.

Jay DeFehr
6-Nov-2010, 09:02
I've tested 2 of 3 (no Lodima). I'm not sure I could add anything to the common knowledge about these two papers. My interest was in how my amidol print developer behaved with them.

Jay DeFehr
6-Nov-2010, 09:07
BTW, I think it will be easy to pick out the AZO!:D

Pawlowski6132
6-Nov-2010, 09:21
Yeah, but what did YOU think? And why?

Let me preface what you're about to read by saying that the information presented here is for enteratainment purposes only. I am not a professional and have limited experience in this area. Relative to all the other artists here. With that said...

I would rank the papers in order of preference as follows:

1. Fomalux 111 G2
2. Lodima G3
3. AZO G2

I originally stated that the Fomalux was G3 but, I was mistaken. They don't even make a G3. Anywho...

All prints were just straight with no dodging or burning. I used incadescent bulbs hanging about 3-4' above the contract print frame. I didn't make test prints, just started out with guesses. My first print was on the AZO. I had just taken possession of a 20x24 50 sheet box this week and couldn't wait to use it as I have only read about this legendary paper. So, I cut it down and I was ready to go. The subject of the negative was a rusting large antique leather tool set against a brown leather chair as part of the background with natural norther exposrue light.

After two prints, I got the AZO to where I thought it looked good to me. I used a 300W bulb with some white tissue paper across the bulb at about 10 seconds. The amidol formula was diluted a bit and needed about four min of development. Selenium toned (ratio unknown but, strong) for about 3 min. At this point, better than the Lodima print I had originally done of this negative about a month ago. So far so good.

I then wanted to try the Fomalux. Not knowing much about it, I started with the same wattage and time. Paper is WAAAAY faster. I had to down shift to a 60W bulb for about 15 seconds: Amidol, selenium. The second thing I noticed that was way different than the AZO (besides being double weighted) was how really beautifullyand quickly) it toned. Maybe it was because the subject really lent itself to it but, I really liked it. Also, the contrast of this paper really brought out the texture in the iron tool. Overall, the print might be a little dark but, I really like the tones and the contrast.

I then thought I should reprint this on the Lodima in these same conditions. I did a much better job. Again, prolly a little dark but, again, much better contrast for me. Funny how the Lodima G3 was soooo similar to the Fomalux G2. I really wish I had AZO G3. I think that would have been a much fairer comparison. Oh, the Lodima printed with the 300W bulb around 13 seconds.

Well, I have 300 sheets of the AZO and only had the Lodima and Fomalux in 25 sheet packets.

I will have to learn how to process my negatives to get the print I want out of AZO but, I will definitely be buying more Fomalux also. Somehow, I will have to try to keep Michael Smith in business too!!

Pawlowski6132
6-Nov-2010, 09:23
BTW, I think it will be easy to pick out the AZO!:D

Ha! Yeah. I guess I never thought of that. Especially if you're handling 'em.

:p

Mounted on the wall? Maybe not.

Richard K.
6-Nov-2010, 09:56
Ok, here's the list in order of those who will be receiving the box:

1. Richard K
2. Bob Murphy
3. Forrest Atkins.

Please plan to keep the box for no longer than two weeks. Also, please post your impressions back here. Richard K. Please contact Bob for his address when you're ready.

Thanks for this! :) I will PM Bob for his address.

Richard K.
6-Nov-2010, 10:00
So, tonight I printed on:

Fomalux 111 G3
Lodima G3
AZO G2

I contact printed an 8x10 negative: Kodak Plus-X developed in PMK Pyro. Paper was developed in Amidol and toned in Kodak Rapid Selenium toner.

Anywho, I don't have a scanner so, can't show you the results. I think that would be a waste of time anywho due to the Analog to Digital conversion.

But, if anyone is interested, I'm willing to ship all three prints along with the negative with more detail information.

Is anyone interested?

BTW what is your first name (I assume that Pawlowski6132 is your last name :D ) and where are you located?

Pawlowski6132
6-Nov-2010, 10:04
BTW what is your first name (I assume that Pawlowski6132 is your last name :D ) and where are you located?

I am Joe Pawlowski.

I will be shipping this on Monday or Tuesday from 49085; St. Joseph, MI. About 90 miles east of Chicago.

It will come in an Ilford 8x10 Film box.

Bruce Barlow
7-Nov-2010, 06:08
Thank you! Whether you think you're an "amateur" or not, your impressions are valuable. I enjoyed reading it and got a lot out of it.

Having been a little haphazard up to now, I'm calibrating my darkroom setup for printing on my stocks of Azo and Lodima - I want to have as much "routine" as possible so I can pay attention to whether I'm making good prints (the old Mecahnical vs. Creative thing), so your setup details were important.

Thanks again!

Cool! Let's make prints!

Pawlowski6132
9-Nov-2010, 06:52
Sending paper out today.

Richard K.
24-Nov-2010, 11:07
Thanks for the papers Joe. I am sending them on to Bob Murphy. I'll wait until Bob and Forrest have had a look before commenting! :D

Forrest Atkins
13-Dec-2010, 12:40
Prints received, reviewed and ready to return or forward if anyone else is interested.
PM your return address or the next in line.
Its noted you numbered the prints but no gave indication of which was which.
A good exercise whether intentional or not.
I'll say I was impressed with the different prints but wonder about papers full contrast range given neg you had to work with. You mentioned varying the time, filtration, and used grade 2&3 papers so difficult to infer from that. I will definitely give Formulax a try as couldn't see a significant difference between it and Lodina.

Thanks again Joe for letting us view the sample prints, they were very helpful.

Pawlowski6132
15-Dec-2010, 12:58
Thanx Forreest. I'll PM you with my address.

Sorry for the dark prints.

;^(

csant
15-Dec-2010, 13:09
Has anybody scanned them for us who live in Europe? Of course it's not like holding the real print, but a good scan can tell *something* at least…