PDA

View Full Version : Advice on using X-Ray film

bvaughn4
5-Nov-2010, 21:30
Can someone point me to a few threads here or just some general advice on experimenting with x-ray film for 8x10? Searched the forums for the subject, but nothing seems to pop up. Have read a lot about folks using it for Carbon transfers and it having a high contrast, but is it practical for use as an everyday film for traditional silver prints? Can I get decent tonal range with processing manipulation?

Recommendations on using green or blue, darkroom chemistry, etc appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

RickV
5-Nov-2010, 21:50
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=48099&highlight=x-ray

Thalmees
6-Nov-2010, 08:54
Thanks RickV.

bvaughn4
6-Nov-2010, 13:32
Thank you!

Drew Bedo
7-Nov-2010, 06:24
Do you have access to any Ultra-sound film? In the 1990s, I worked in a medical imaging clinic and found that the Ultra-sound and Nuclear Medicine films worked great when rated at 200. I ran the negs through the automatic processor in the dark room. Also found that Tri-X worked well in the automatic processor and chemistry.

bvaughn4
7-Nov-2010, 16:32
Hi Drew, no don't know anywhere I could pick some up. I have asked around to no avail. Since the stuff is only about $30/bx I think I'll give it a shot. Ultimately, I hope to try some carbon transfers. From the thread above, seems to be a lot of varying opinions on Blue, Green and the processing formulas. Think I'll pick one and see how it works out.

In the meantime, I'll google for some Ultrasound films and see if I can find some.

Vaughn
7-Nov-2010, 19:57
I am using Agfa 10TL x-ray film. The box is marked "Daylight" -- so I don't know if that is different than blue, green or whatever! Definitely orthochromatic. Has a blue base.

In fact, I am having a cup of tea before developing a couple sheets of 7x17 (cut down from 14x17 -- which unfortunately does not give me two 7x17's. Cut right in half, it is too narrow for the film holder.

I'll develop it in Ilford Universal PQ Developer. Starting today's first neg at 1part PQ to 20 parts water, 70F for 5 minutes (tray). And we'll see how it goes! Not too contrasty of a scene...from 7 to 14 (no sky), exposed at 9, with a second one with a stop more (f90 and 5 and 10 seconds). Probably some small areas below 7. I used an ASA of 400. In the sunlight like today, it is pretty fast film.

Looking for a neg to carbon print.

My tea is done, time to dive into the dark!

Vaughn

Later: Just developed the second neg. Diluted the PQ to 1 part to 35 parts water, developed for 6 minutes. Nice looking negative.

Vaughn
8-Nov-2010, 11:36
Pretty nice looking negs. The highlights glow -- might be due to a lack of an anti-halation layer. I am curious on how they'll print. Plenty of contrast for carbon -- that will not be a problem!

Tri Tran
8-Nov-2010, 12:01
Hi Vaughn,
As you described. I'm sure you have a beautiful neg for the Carbon Print. Mine using D76 straight developer 6-7min , I check the density with 10 w light bulb and density usually build up after 4 min. My shadow places at Zone 4 instead. Xray for Carbon , nothing else! Thanks for the update.