PDA

View Full Version : Contrast filters with a center filter

Ed Richards
5-Nov-2010, 06:07
I have a center filter for my 47mm XL. The outside threads are 86mm. I put a Lee 86mm adapter on this - normal, since Lee does not make a WA adapter in this size. Took some pictures to try it. Of course they were on location and were important.:-)

I now have some very interesting pictures that look like I was shooting through a port hole. So much for that. Anyone know if even 86mm filters will work? I can hold 4x4 filters in front of the lens, but I usually get a picture of my finger when I do that with the 47. The gel-snap only goes to 82mm. I suppose I could use an 86-95 adapter and then use the Lee push on adapter. But stacking three levels of adapters on the lens is not a very elegant solution.

Jim Noel
5-Nov-2010, 12:13
You need to get the center filter made by the same manufacturer as the lens. Chances are the rim of your filter is too thick. I doubt that you wil be able to use a Lee or any other similar filter system.

Ed Richards
5-Nov-2010, 12:26
It is the right center filter. It works fine, but I need to figure out how to use my black and white filters with it.

Steve Goldstein
5-Nov-2010, 13:09
Can you somehow get the contrast filters behind the lens?

Ed Richards
5-Nov-2010, 13:19
Not much clearance with a 47, but it is a thought. Gelatin would not mess up focus.