PDA

View Full Version : Printing and proofing glass plates

Eric Woodbury
4-Nov-2010, 12:48
I just found some glass plates that were my father's. I'm not sure how to put them in the enlarger or contact frame. The contact frame would crush them and the enlarger...hmmm? I'm sure there is some easy method.

Thanks for the help. -e-

Mark Woods
4-Nov-2010, 13:20
Contact print.

domaz
4-Nov-2010, 14:01
Just put the plate on top of the paper. Should keep reasonable contact that way.

dwross
4-Nov-2010, 17:40
Depending on the size of your plates and the negative carriers you might own, you can print a glass plate just like a negative. I stick 4x5 plates in my 4x5 carrier. If that doesn't work for you or if you want to contact print, just laying the plate on top of paper will work fine if you're only interested in proofing the images. The result might be a little soft if you're hoping for a fine print. The solution is 'easy', but not necessarily immediate. Modern contact printing frames are too big. They're designed to hold a negative against paper with some slop around the edges. You need an antique printing frame. Old contract printing frames were designed to exactly fit glass plates, i.e. the plates were the glass. (Wood frame-> glass plate negative-> printing paper-> spring back.) You can find these, in various sizes, on ebay fairly regularly.

Good luck and fun.
d

matthew klos
6-Nov-2010, 16:38
I use a Alternative split back contact printer. You can buy them here

http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-246/CONTACT-PRINT-FRAME/Detail.bok

You can adjust the tension of the frame on the back. Be really careful because the emulsion can peel right off that glass plate.