PDA

View Full Version : Lens Mounting Service

joekenney
4-Nov-2010, 04:20
Anyone recommend a lens mounting service with reasonable turnaround?
Thanks,

Peter De Smidt
4-Nov-2010, 04:50
S. K. Grimes? I haven't used them in a long time, not since before Steve passed away. Back then, though, turn-a-round was very fast.

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2010, 07:05
I had a lens mounted at Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA -- metal lens board that needed machining to enlarge hole. It was done the next day, despite their estimate of 1 week.

okto
9-Nov-2010, 13:54
Why is there need to pay someone to mount a lens? A spanner and a lens board and you're done. *confused*

Joe Forks
9-Nov-2010, 13:59
Why is there need to pay someone to mount a lens? A spanner and a lens board and you're done. *confused*

I won't speculate about the OP's situation, but there are times when one might need
a hole machined in a blank metal lens board or a lens adapted to a particular shutter and you might need someone with a machine shop or specialized parts and or tools to accomplish the task.

Dave Hally
10-Nov-2010, 09:26
A lens board can be "drilled" without machine tools (lathe or drill press): Scribe a circle in the correct position. Drill small holes just inside the circle, all the way around, as close together as possible. Knock out the center and file and sand it smooth. Clamp it when you drill it. Clamp it vertically when you file it (half round file) or use a Dremel tool if you have one.
I did this to one of my Toyo boards a few years ago. When I swapped my lenses to techinca boards, it wasn't obvious which one I had done and which ones came drilled.
It's not that hard to do.
Good Luck,
Dave

Michael Cienfuegos
10-Nov-2010, 09:39
Most people can probably do this job, but there are those technically challenged people in the world who should not be allowed in the same room as a screwdriver. My dear late wife tried to remove a Phillips head screw with a regular screwdriver, she didn't know the difference. She destroyed the screw head and I had to drill it out and use an EZ-out to remove the damaged screw.

okto
17-Nov-2010, 23:02
Good point on adapting a lens to a shutter. I was thinking only of mounting a shutter/barrel lens onto a lens board.

I wouldn't expect those who can't handle a screwdriver to have the patience or inclination for large-format photography! :D

myoptic
4-Dec-2010, 04:19
Good point on adapting a lens to a shutter. I was thinking only of mounting a shutter/barrel lens onto a lens board.

I wouldn't expect those who can't handle a screwdriver to have the patience or inclination for large-format photography! :D

You'd be wrong in that assumption. I have lots of patience for waiting for the right weather, the right clouds, the right expression, but am all thumbs when it comes to practically anything that needs fixing mechanically, although I can resolve many computer issues some techs have problems with.

I'd rather pay someone who knows what the heck they are doing with lenses and shutters than screw it up myself.

Frank Petronio
4-Dec-2010, 08:09
SK Grimes is excellent but they can get backlogged. This guy is at least as good as they are: http://www.lensn2shutter.com/.

If it is only screwing a lens onto a standard shutter-sized hole on a commercially bought lensboard with a predrilled hole... using a $19 flat lenswrench or spanner... if you can't do that, then you probably should stop and sell your equipment right now. Large format photography requires a minimum level of manual dexterity to load the film, use camera movements, etc. and this is not going to be a successful activity for you.

However, if you are determined, patient and (only moderately) careful, and willing to take your time and ask a lot dumb questions, then you can engage in an activity in ~the physical, tactile realm~ which should be quite novel and ultimately useful for your survival when our society breaks down and there is mass chaos in our streets.

myoptic
7-Dec-2010, 14:50
..... if you can't do that, then you probably should stop and sell your equipment right now. Large format photography requires a minimum level of manual dexterity to load the film, use camera movements, etc. and this is not going to be a successful activity for you.

However, if you are determined, patient and (only moderately) careful, and willing to take your time and ask a lot dumb questions, then you can engage in an activity in ~the physical, tactile realm~ which should be quite novel and ultimately useful for your survival when our society breaks down and there is mass chaos in our streets.
I remember once, many years ago in Ottawa, watching a homeless man trudge through the snow. Not only was it the middle of winter, but it was snowing heavily and the old guy had two crutches, as he only had one leg. I got off the bus at that stop (my stop was another 10 mins or so) and ran over to see if I could help. He did not want any, but did take my gloves as he did not have any. The point is people do things for their own reasons, and in their own ways. Like that old guy, I am now slowed somewhat by arthritis, which came on after I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Photography is the one thing in life I refuse to give up on, but now my manual dexterity is diminished for sure, but I still trudge for miles through conservation areas, etc. in search of images. Just because I suck at lenses and shutters, does not mean that I can't manage swings, tilts, etc., nor does that mean it can not be a successful activity for me.
I'll do what Frank Sinatra said, and 'I'll do it my way...."