PDA

View Full Version : Lee shade vs Arca Swiss Compendium Shade

postman
3-Nov-2010, 13:33
I am considering a Lee wide-angle hood with insert for a polarizer and wondering how this would compare with the Arca Swiss Compendium Shade in terms of functionality. I am using it on 6x9 Arca's with a lenses ranging from 24mm through 360mm ( intended ).

I have read many of the debates about hood vs hand and the decision for a hood is set. Now I am trying to pick the right hood.

Thanks.

jeroldharter
3-Nov-2010, 14:12
I have the Arca compendium and have also used Lee filters, but not the compendium. For use on an Arca F-Line camera, it is no contest. Go with the Arca. The Arca is vastly more expensive new and uncommon used. But it fits perfectly on the camera. The Lee requires a screw in adapter on every lens so those can add up fast. Plus they are a nuisance and cannot be used with regular lens caps. I think the ARca would be better for wide angle too because it is more adjustable.

Before you buy either, and if you can figure out a good attachment point for your setup, consider one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/412303-REG/Granview_FB99XXL.html

They have other models that will attach to a hot shoe. You use them with a spare dark slide.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images150x150/412303.jpg

streetlevelfoto
3-Nov-2010, 14:18
You'd end up needing at least two, if not three of the Lee hoods (wide angle, and normal, at least) to cover the lens range, plus all of the rings.

Personally, given that, it's a bit of a hassle. If the Arca compendium has good options for filter use, I'd go with it.

If you're going to be getting a lee foundation kit for filters anyway (so you'll already have the rings) then it's more of a toss up.

I prefer a compendium hood anyway - but that's just me and what I'm used to working with.

GPS
3-Nov-2010, 14:29
Optically, lens hoods (or compendium) that are adjusted to the lens focal length are more efficient in shielding the lens from flare causing light than a universal size hood. Also, one size opening that is just put at a different length from the lens is less efficient than different sizes put at a different distance from the lens.
But in the practical use other aspects should be considered too. Personally, I would never consider using a piece of flat cover as anything that could even dream to replace a lens hood.

mdd99
3-Nov-2010, 15:08
The Arca Swiss Compendium Shade is a winner, in my opinion.

Brian Ellis
3-Nov-2010, 16:47
I've used the Lee shade (not the wide angle) with a Lee polarizer. One problem I had with it was that with my lenses in the 90mm - 180mm range there wasn't enough clearance between the corners of the hood and the camera base (Linhof Master Technika) to rotate the hood and polarizer on the camera. There were some work-arounds that I've now forgotten but it was a pain to use with a polarizer because of course you normally rotate the polarizer to find the optimal position.

This isn't a problem with longer lenses because they extend beyond the camera base and might not be a problem with physically smaller lenses than mine but it's something I'd try to check with your lenses if you have a chance and are still considering the Lee hood.

GPS
4-Nov-2010, 01:39

This isn't a problem with longer lenses because they extend beyond the camera base and might not be a problem with physically smaller lenses than mine but it's something I'd try to check with your lenses if you have a chance and are still considering the Lee hood.

That would not be any problem for a monorail 6x9 AS camera. Even with very short lenses the OP wants to use he can always put the front standard to the front edge of the rail. In fact, with the short lenses he wants to use he is forced to do so in order to avoid sticking the rail into the lens view angle.

Brian Ellis
4-Nov-2010, 07:10
That would not be any problem for a monorail 6x9 AS camera. Even with very short lenses the OP wants to use he can always put the front standard to the front edge of the rail. In fact, with the short lenses he wants to use he is forced to do so in order to avoid sticking the rail into the lens view angle.

Thanks but I didn't provide that information only for the OP. Like most posts here, they're hopefully useful to others, in this case to others who might also be considering a Lee hood.

postman
5-Nov-2010, 00:11
Thank-you for all the comments. I have purchased a used Arca Swiss compendium.

RK_LFteacher
6-Nov-2010, 10:39
Thank-you for all the comments. I have purchased a used Arca Swiss compendium.

You might try using it with the bracket out front and extending it back towards the lens board. In this configuration you can pinch it open with out removing, to see and set the lens through the side. Saves a few drops of the shade(Experience...) and defacing the beauty of the shade, not to mention bending the mount.
Just a suggestion to try.
Rod