PDA

View Full Version : Need color transparency scanner advice

Hartman
3-Nov-2010, 13:33
Hello All,

I have a need to scan full color transparencies of my fathers artwork which are on either 4x5 or the larger 8x10 format. I had in the past started using a MicroTek ScanMaker 4 but it is old and Windows 7 does not support the SCSI card I was using.

I plan on using a imaging company via a drum scanner to do the archive version for printing but the cost is about $200 per image and I have over 130 images.

So I need something that I can buy that will allow be to atleast get these transparencies ditialized at resonable cost. I have been looking at the Epson Perfection V750-M Pro.

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Thanks
Hartman

roteague
3-Nov-2010, 13:46
Hello All,

I have a need to scan full color transparencies of my fathers artwork which are on either 4x5 or the larger 8x10 format. I had in the past started using a MicroTek ScanMaker 4 but it is old and Windows 7 does not support the SCSI card I was using.

I plan on using a imaging company via a drum scanner to do the archive version for printing but the cost is about $200 per image and I have over 130 images.

So I need something that I can buy that will allow be to atleast get these transparencies ditialized at resonable cost. I have been looking at the Epson Perfection V750-M Pro.

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Thanks
Hartman

Send your stuff to West Coast Imaging ... they will do the scans for $79 each (4x5); 16-bit 400MB. The Epson should be fine for web images, or personal use.

Peter De Smidt
3-Nov-2010, 13:50
Or maybe even some prints, depending on the size required.

Hartman
3-Nov-2010, 13:57
Thanks for the fast replies.

My goal is to replace the trans with digital images since they are all getting old 1988-1996. We used to make 4 color prints for sale and I want to start that up again so going to need to have the professional drum scans at some point.

Hartman

Peter De Smidt
3-Nov-2010, 15:00
How big of enlargements are you going to make? 3x, 4x, ... ?

streetlevelfoto
3-Nov-2010, 15:01
the V-750 is fantastic for the price - and for many print sizes is more than enough from LF film. But won't replace drum scans for high res, big prints.

Hartman
3-Nov-2010, 16:53
So in the begining when my father did this he would take a 8x10 to the printers and they would make a run of signed prints some as large as 30x40". I dont think I will go that large.

Idealy since I dont own most of the images but I have the copy rigth and the trans I want to scan as high as possible (use the pros for that) for keeping records of all his art.

The scanner I would buy would just be for webistes stuff and a decient digital image incase the trans get ruined. I'm also reading up on how to clean then and how to poperly store them. I have then in a case with palastic sleves.

Hartman

Peter De Smidt
3-Nov-2010, 18:00
So you're sticking to about a 4x enlargement. Most people think that when properly set up and used, the V-750 can make very nice 4x prints. So not only would it do what you want, it will probably allow you to make some very nice prints. A _good_ drum scan will be a little better, especially if your slide gets pretty dense, but whether they are worth the cost is purely subjective.