PDA

View Full Version : Grandagon 115 Question

Richard K.
3-Nov-2010, 09:31
I've been looking for a wide lens for my WP camera. A firend of mine has a Grandagon-N 115mm f/6.8 that he no longer uses and would sell me for a good price.

I'm just curious about a couple of things:

Was there a f/4.5 version made of this lens? How does its performance compare to the f/6.8?

How would this Grandagon compare to a 110 Super Symmar XL?

As well as contact printing B&W in Pt, I would like to make the occasional B I G (24x30) print from colour neg.

Thanks!!

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2010, 09:34
Was there a f/4.5 version made of this lens?

No. (That was easy. :))

Richard K.
3-Nov-2010, 09:36
Oren, I'm not sure - I'm checking with the moderators - but I think that that was the fastest answer to a post on record!! :D

Now, which of the two mentioned lenses might be better? :)

Phil Hudson
3-Nov-2010, 09:46
Many users report superb sharpness from the 110XL but the Grandagon is no slouch. Also the Grandagon probably has less light fall-off because of a different near-symmetrical design.

If max aperture isn't a problem look at the 8-element Nikkor-SW 120mm as well. It has top notch performance and a slightly bigger image circle.

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2010, 09:51
Now, which of the two mentioned lenses might be better? :)

Afraid I can't answer that one. The Grandagon will do splendidly as an ultrawide for WP if you're making negatives for contact printing. But I've never used the 110 SS-XL, nor enlarged from a negative made with the Grandagon.

Ed Richards
3-Nov-2010, 09:59
If it matters, the 110 is quite small, and the Grandagon is BIG. I doubt there is any difference in sharpness, and after looking at the literature on the 110, I do not think there is any difference in fall off. But the 110 is expensive.