PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD & Jobo drums & inversion agitation

Matus Kalisky
2-Nov-2010, 16:24
I have a few questions concerning Pyrocat HD used together with 120 BW films and Jobo drums. As I use the Pyrocat HD as my main developer (everything apart from HP5+, actually) over last 2 years I feel that these questions below are a bit overdue.
My main question goes towards film speed, developer dilution, developing times and agitation.

I mostly use FP4+, Delta 100 and Delta 400 (I like the films and I somehow feel some affiliation to Ilford. Other films are indeed as good). On occasion I shoot some PanF+.

All below applies mostly to 120 film although I also use Jobo drums to develope 4x5 (but with constant agitation rolling the drum on the table). I do wish the Delta 400 would come in 4x5 but that is a different story.

I use the Pyrocat HD (in glycol) in 1:1:100, temperature is mostly between 20 - 21 degrees Celsius. I do continuos inversions first 45 - 60 seconds and then 4 inversions every minute. I have come to developing times of about 8 minutes for Delta 100 and Ilfor FP4+ and about 9 minutes for Delta 400.

I do 4 minutes presoak and use 4 minutes water stop followed by 5 - 10 minutes long fixing in Ilford Ilfofix (1:4) and of course washing (flowing water, 10 minutes)

To the point:
The film speed - while with Delta 400 the above procedure seems to deliver results about EI400, for Delta 100 and FP4+ it is closer to 80. I am still unsure about the PanF+ (25 - 50).

My question
- do you find my procedure sensible?
- if you have different way - how you proceed?
- I had uneven development when I tried agitation every 3 minutes instead of every minute - what is your experience?
- what is your experience with film speed with Pyrocat HD?
- does the relative ratio of A and B solutions influences film speed or contrast?
- how long can the open bottles of Pyrocat HD (glycol) - stock A and B solutions - be stored at room temperature?
- how does the aging of stock solution shows? (important)

minesix66
4-Nov-2010, 15:15
They do have Ilford Delta 400 in 4 x 5. Unless they stopped making it.
Look at Photographers Formulary directions, I used their product and had great results.
I use the PMK Pyro @ 20 degrees celsius for 14mins. 1:2:100
Fill developer, rap the tank 3-5 times and agitate vigorously every 30sec 4 times.
Water stop bath 4 mins continuous agitation.
TF-4 non acidic fixer
The after bath in used developer for 2mins and agitate every 30 sec 4 times.
Wash 15-20 mins.

onnect17
5-Nov-2010, 15:33
You should get in touch with Sandy King (username --> sanking).
Also visit pyrocat-hd.com for links to some discussions. Good luck.

Matus Kalisky
6-Nov-2010, 13:33
Thank you - the link is interesting.

I kind of hope that Sandy will be triggered by the "pyrocat" in title of this thread .. :)

Jan Pedersen
6-Nov-2010, 14:24
They do have Ilford Delta 400 in 4 x 5. Unless they stopped making it.

Delta 400 has not been available in sheet film for several years.