PDA

View Full Version : Need a Pair of B&L 15" Triplets for stereo?

Richard Rankin
2-Nov-2010, 13:29
I picked up a couple of lenses with the idea of keeping one and selling one. I have purchased a new (old) wp camera with far more bellows than my old one, so have been trying to find some longer lenses than I currently have.

Anyway... I received these 2 today (15" ef, approx f6.3 triplets) and haven't even cleaned the glass. They were off an old stereo magic lantern, I believe.

You don't often have 2 lenses so perfectly the same at the same time, so I thought maybe someone out there might be needing a pair of very similar lenses for a stereo application. If so, drop me a line and maybe I can loan them to you or sell them cheaply for an interesting project.

I haven't listed this in the Classifieds because I'm not really trying to sell them at the moment, I just want to see if someone might need to use them while there is still a well-matched pair.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven Tribe
2-Nov-2010, 16:32
I'm all for the loan idea!
These are so large that they are way beyond the normal purpose built stereo camera sizes. The distance between centers will also be way past the normal eye to eye spacing so the stereo effect will be "out of this world". I can only imagine a project where someone has 2 identical large cameras (both mounted with sinar copal shutters!). Stereo images with really large format - greater than 2 images on a 1/2 plate or 5x7 - would be great fun.

Richard Rankin
2-Nov-2010, 17:59
Well, you never know what the next Man Ray is waiting for to do that break-out image, so thought I'd offer... I was thinking that a studio camera with 9-10" lens boards could mount 2 at a time.

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2010, 02:40
That sounds like an idea. A big square barn door shutter. Stereo portraits on a Studio camera(Ansco/Century). Shot on horizontal 8x10 giving 5x8 portrait images.

jb7
3-Nov-2010, 05:20
Oh no, you've just given me another idea...

Christopher posted a fabulous portrait recently, taken on a Cambo TLR...

He mentioned that it was a side-by-side camera-

However, considering how unwieldy LF cameras are anyway,
perhaps the reflex aspect is unnecessary?
Perhaps it would be easier to make a side by side camera, using one as a viewer-
An 8x10 Portrait camera?

Unfortunately, I'm too far away to take advantage of your kind offer-

Also unfortunately, I have a matched pair of 8" f/3.1 projection triplets that could be used to make a 4x5 version...