PDA

View Full Version : Toyo metal field 4 3/4 x 6 1/2

Thierry Schreiner
1-Nov-2010, 18:49
Hi to all,

Just bought a Toyo metal field camera 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.

Can you please help me with the following:

- What are the appropriate lens boards and where to find them?

- Do international 5x7 film holders fit this camera?

- Any general comments on this camera?

Thank you in advance and best regards

Thierry Schreiner

jackpie
1-Nov-2010, 19:15
These are great lightweight half plate or 5x7 metal field cameras. There are a number of interchangable backs available for them, 4x5, half plate, 5x7 and larger. The 5x7 back is rare and highly desirable. I wish I had one!

The lens boards are standard Graphic Pacemaker boards. Mine come off ebay US.

Andrew Plume
2-Nov-2010, 07:48
Hi to all,

Thierry Schreiner

Thierry - SK Grimes have the boards in stock and yes the back will take the standard 5x7 holders

andrew

bvstaples
2-Nov-2010, 12:16
I've had mine for a few years now and have been toying with selling it. But I just can't part with it, it's a sweet little camera. I shoot 4x5 in mine.

When I got mine I didn't get it with lens boards. But as mentioned they take the standard Pacemaker boards. I got three on eBay for about ten bucks each (had to wait a little while for them to come up, but then I was refurbing the camera at the time).

Let us know how you like the thing!

Brian

brianam
2-Nov-2010, 12:35
Standard 5x7 holders will not fit unless of course do you have an actual 5x7 back for it. The one Toyo made is apparently so rare that most anyone using these as a 5x7 has a back that was adapted to it. Mine has a 5x7 back adapted from the Toyo G monorail line. Frank P. just sold one on this forum with a different adaptation.

I have and use 4x5, 5x7 and whole-plate backs with mine. I have the half-plate back too, but don't know what I'd ever do with it! I guess there's been enough interest in recent years to have Ilford package WP film, but I'd never heard of half-plate in OEM packages. Just too close to 5x7 to be worthwhile I guess.

Jimi
2-Nov-2010, 12:39
The 13x18 cm, 5x7", 12x16.5 cm, and the 4 3/4 x 6 1/2" holders all have the same outer dimensions. Although I don't know if there's any film for the last two variations. I was a bit interested in that Toyo but I didn't remember the above facts. So it goes. :)

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2010, 16:26
I've seen photos of the original 5x7 back and thought that it would be on the one had bought but instead a metal 5x7 back from another camera was bolted onto a piece of sheet metal. Because the camera has a flat back/interior, any flat sheet of metal cut to the right dimensions and the right thickness will work to attach whatever back you can scrounge up to use. I would have preferred the original back as it was lighter and most compact, but the set-up I ended up with was fine for shooting.

Oren Grad
2-Nov-2010, 16:44
I guess there's been enough interest in recent years to have Ilford package WP film, but I'd never heard of half-plate in OEM packages. Just too close to 5x7 to be worthwhile I guess.

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=114

jackpie
2-Nov-2010, 20:20
In europe I have found Wephota Planfilm B&W 100 ASA 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.

http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=1670

jackpie
2-Nov-2010, 20:25
The 13x18 cm, 5x7", 12x16.5 cm, and the 4 3/4 x 6 1/2" holders all have the same outer dimensions. :)

Standard international film holders do not fit the Toyo half plate back. They will fit the 5x7 back.

rknewcomb
3-Nov-2010, 12:03
Standard international film holders do not fit the Toyo half plate back. They will fit the 5x7 back.

Don't modern film holders in half plate and 5x7 have the same outside dimensions with just the inside being different sizes for the two different sizes of sheet film? I know that I have some older wooden Kodak holders that are marked half plate that are the exact same size as the 5x7 holders on the outside.

Are you sure they won't fit?

paulr
3-Nov-2010, 13:18
I've had this camera for years ... not counting an early abortive purchase it's the only lf camera I've owned. I've always liked it, and found its movements ample for urban landscapes. It's suffered my abuses without complaint.

I would love to have had a 5x7 back for it, but as others have said these are rarities. The easy availability of lensboards is a consolation.

One caveat is that it folds up extremely thin, so if you need a new bellows for it, it will have to be cut by hand.

I'm curious to know any other trivia about the camera. I got mine in pre internet days from a guy who advertised in the back of shutterbug. He told me I'd like it so I bought it!

jackpie
3-Nov-2010, 15:06
Don't modern film holders in half plate and 5x7 have the same outside dimensions with just the inside being different sizes for the two different sizes of sheet film?

Yes, that is right modern 13x18 cm, 5x7", and half plate (4 3/4 x 6 1/2") holders are the same outside dimensions. So they will all fit in the rare 5x7 back for the Toyo Field.

However the Toyo Field half plate back is non standard. It is smaller than a standard, modern 5x7 back, and the standard modern 13x18 cm, 5x7", and half plate (4 3/4 x 6 1/2") holders do not fit. This back takes non standard Toyo Field half plate holders.

I know for sure because I have a Toyo Field with half plate back, and the unique Toyo Field half plate holders that fit.

rknewcomb
3-Nov-2010, 20:12
Thanks very much for letting me know. I'd say that is the answer then.
Much appreciated!

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2010, 21:16
However the Toyo Field half plate back is non standard. It is smaller than a standard, modern 5x7 back, and the standard modern 13x18 cm, 5x7", and half plate (4 3/4 x 6 1/2") holders do not fit. This back takes non standard Toyo Field half plate holders.

Just curious - can you name some specific camera models that do accept standard modern half-plate holders? Perhaps they'll be Japanese, as the format has lingered in commercial use far longer there than here.

Jimi
4-Nov-2010, 12:37
I got so confused by the (dis)information that I had to do a reaility check on my film holders in the lab today - yep the outer dimension are the same. :)

I found this information which may or may not add to the general enlightenment regarding the various japanese formats: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Japanese_formats

Thanks for the tip on the Wephota film. I'll have to try that in the future.

jackpie
4-Nov-2010, 15:37
I got so confused by the (dis)information that I had to do a reaility check on my film holders in the lab today - yep the outer dimension are the same.

Jimi you are repeating an undisputed truth. The outside dimensions of standard international film holders for 5x7, 13x18 and half plate are the same .

However this thread is about the Toyo Field Half Plate camera, which has a Half Plate back that will only take Toyo Half Plate holders, which are non standard. Regular holders are too large to fit.

I've just measured my holders.

Fidelity Elite 5x7 width 149.5mm

Fidelity Elite Half Plate width 149.5mm

Toyo Field Half Plate width 136.2mm

Because of these compact holders a Toyo Field fitted with it's Half Plate back makes a very compact and lightweight field camera, if you can find the right holders and film.

jackpie
4-Nov-2010, 15:50
Just curious - can you name some specific camera models that do accept standard modern half-plate holders? Perhaps they'll be Japanese, as the format has lingered in commercial use far longer there than here.

Most modern (post ww2?) 5x7 cameras will accept modern standard half-plate film holders. Sinar, Arca, Cambo, Linhof etc. including Japanese cameras like Rittreck and most Toyos.

It's just this Toyo metal field camera that has the non standard half plate back. As far as I know the Toyo Field Half Plate film holders fit no other cameras.

If the Toyo metal field camera is fitted with a 5x7 back then it will accept regular film holders.

Please be clear I am only talking about modern cameras, not old wooden cameras that take bookform plate and film holders. It seems there were no standard sizes for the old British, Japanese and Indian bookform film holders.

Oren Grad
4-Nov-2010, 16:05
Most modern (post ww2?) 5x7 cameras will accept modern standard half-plate film holders. Sinar, Arca, Cambo, Linhof etc. including Japanese cameras like Rittreck and most Toyos.

Whoops - my bad. :o If the external dimensions of the non-Toyo holders match those of a 5x7 holder, there are a grillion cameras to choose from.

Jimi
5-Nov-2010, 00:00
Jimi you are repeating an undisputed truth.

Yep, sorry about sidetracking the subject. I understand your halfplate Toyo is one of many different sizes under the guise of halfplate.

rjmeyer314
5-Nov-2010, 06:00
I don't have a Toyo 4 3/4 x 6 1/2, but I do have a Premo-style half plate camera. I have found some Graphic-style (the usual kind) half-plate film holders, and they will work in the camera. However, they are really a little too small for the film holder slot. I have tried 5x7 film holders and they will also work in the camera. They, also, are a little smaller than I would like but they fit better than the half-plate holders. I've recently brought one of the book-style half plate film holders from Great Britain. That is the best fit in this camera. At any rate, you should try 5x7 film holders to see if they will fit. I bet they will. True 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 film holders are quite rare. Most I find are really glass plate holders.

jackpie
5-Nov-2010, 06:29
I have made it very clear in several previous posts that the film holders that fit the Toyo Field half plate back are the proper Toyo Field half plate holders. They are available used in the Japanese market. I recommend you ignore other less informed posters, who suggest other film holders might fit, and and source the correct ones.

I use my camera in the field with the half plate back. The Toyo Field folds up with a Kodak 203mm f7.7 lens mounted, making a very convenient, and robust package.

The only half plate film I have found available is Wephota B&W 100 ASA & 25 ASA so I use that. I've built up a little stockpile in the freezer which gives me some long term security.

At first I was determined to get a 5x7 back made for this camera, to make it more standard and increase the film choices. However I'm settling into the zen like simplicity of using just the 2 films I have available. The half plate back is lighter than a 5x7, as are the unique film holders, so it's lighter for carrying around. As for the film size, half plate is just 1/2" less wide than 5x7 so who's bothered? It's still a great size for contact printing.

I also have the 4x5 back but don't use it much in this configuration. I suppose I would need to use 4x5 for colour, or I could cut 8x10 sheet film down to half plate.

The Graphic lens boards mean that my lenses can be swapped between my Crown Graphic and the Toyo.

One limitation is that the bellows are not very long. Maximum extension is 370mm, but the longest lens I use regularly is a Nikon 300M. The shortest is a SA 90mm f8. I have just got a 15" Wollensak telephoto to try for close portraiture. The camera is best suited to small to medium sized lenses. If you need to use larger, faster and heavier glass then the Rittreck 5x7 field is a better choice. But the Rittreck is a lot heavier.

All in all it's a great little field camera that seems to have a small, but passionate following. Or maybe it's just me that gets over excited!

Thierry Schreiner
13-Nov-2010, 18:21
Hi to all,

First, thank you very much to all of you for your contribution.

I got the camera today, in 99% new condition. Frightening, how compact and light it is. Regular 5x7 holders definitely do not fit in the 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 configuration.

Guess I will have to adapt a 5x7 back, like some of you previously did.

A few more questions, please.

- When was this camera built?
- Do the lens boards on Ebay auction No 200504909876 fit?
- Was there ever an adapter available to mount Technika lens boards, or did someone make an adapter?

Thierry Schreiner

jackpie
13-Nov-2010, 19:40
My advice is to use the half plate back.

John Schneider
14-Nov-2010, 10:43
- Do the lens boards on Ebay auction No 200504909876 fit?
- Was there ever an adapter available to mount Technika lens boards, or did someone make an adapter?

Thierry, both Midwest and SK Grimes sell lensboards which are nicer than originals, which tended to have loose tolerances and be made from too-soft aluminum.

I made such a Technika-Graphic lensboard adapter (using a Toyo Field-Linhof TK adapter). Because the TK board is bigger than a Graphic board, and in fact wider than the front standard struts, the adapter needs an additional spacer to mount the adapter far enough out. This also means that the camrera won't fold with the adapter lensboard in place.

Also, I had to mill recesses in the back of the adapter board to provide clearance for the screws which hold the lensboard sliders on the camera.

Thierry Schreiner
16-Nov-2010, 14:46
Thank you very much for all you replies.

I guess I will follow jackpie s advice. John, thank you very much for illustrating your project.

Best regards from Fance

Thierry

Capt. E
3-Feb-2024, 09:26
Hi to all,

Thierry Schreiner

I had one for many years with the rotating 4x5 back. It takes speed graphic lens boards. Excellent camera...you need to remember how to close it. I've seen the bellows damaged by improper closing.

Neal Chaves
4-Feb-2024, 18:18
Here is my Toyo Field 4 3/4x6 1/2. I use Speed and Crown Graphics and Pacemaker adapter boards on Toyo Views and Calumet C2. I modified the back to accept a late production Toyo Focus panel and ground glass. I did not like the bail arrangement on the factory back as it interferes with viewing devices like the Toyo shown. Less extension makes it possible to focus the 47mm Super Angulon XL to infinity. Also shown is an originial Field Camera back with barlocks to accept newer Toyo Backs Fixed or revolving .