PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao with 300M

Dave Hally
1-Nov-2010, 10:53
Hi all,
I just took my Shen Hao 4x5 field camera out for its first forray on Saturday in San Francisco.
To use the 300M, I have to use base tilt on the front standard and then axis tilt to get the lens out far enough to focus at infinity, which is OK, but it doesn't tighten up really well. I have to be carefull even cocking the shutter to prevent the lens from moving (either tilting down or shifting down). The axis tilt knobs don't seem to hold the front standard tightly even when tightened down as tight as I feel comfortable with.
Is this a common problem, and is there something I can do to get it to hold without breaking it? Has anyone substituted Brass washers for the nylon ones to get it to hold tighter? Any other suggestions? Do Chamonix users have this problem ( having to use front tilts to get extra extension)?
TIA
Dave

Joseph Dickerson
1-Nov-2010, 11:38
I used to have the same problem with a Toyo 45A and the APO Ronar 300mm. Solved it by installing the 300 on a recessed board that I reversed.

My current Shen Hao and a 300 Geronar set up is no problem so I haven't needed to try the reversed recessed board but it would be worth a try.

JD

Dave Hally
1-Nov-2010, 17:17
Yeah, I made a top hat board for my 45A. I was hoping to avoid the problem with the Shen Hao, one reason I bought it. I suppose I should have done more research. How does the 300M work with a Chamonix 4x5?
Dave

Brian Ellis
1-Nov-2010, 17:25
Yeah, I made a top hat board for my 45A. I was hoping to avoid the problem with the Shen Hao, one reason I bought it. I suppose I should have done more research. How does the 300M work with a Chamonix 4x5?
Dave

Worked fine on mine, IIRC the Chamonix has about a 15 inch bellows extension so a 300mm can be used for most types of photography without going through any gyrations with front tilts. For the reasons mentioned by the OP, I've always thought it was a little misleading for Shen to claim a 14 inch extension as they do (or used to do, haven't looked lately) on their web site.

Dave Hally
2-Nov-2010, 14:00
Has anyone used the light weight Shen Hao ( which looks a lot like the Chamomix)with a longer lens?

Lachlan 717
2-Nov-2010, 15:01
The Shen Hao XPO has over 400mm extension.

Non-folding, but there always is a trade-off...

Two23
2-Nov-2010, 20:48
I too have been using the Rodenstock Geronar 300mm on the Shen Hao, and it works very well.

Kent in SD

Dave Hally
3-Nov-2010, 08:35
Kent, which Shen Hao are you using?
Thanks, Dave.

Two23
3-Nov-2010, 16:28
Kent, which Shen Hao are you using?
Thanks, Dave.

I bought it about 2002, used. It's the HZX 4X5-IIA I think.

Kent in SD

Dave Hally
3-Nov-2010, 18:20
Kent, That's the one that I have. Do you have to use base tilt forward and then axis tilt to bring the front standard vertical? That's where I was having the problem, as the axis tilt knob was not holding it very well, and the lens would move slightly as I cocked the shutter or moved the focusing lever. I 'll try to take it out again this weekend and see if there is anything I can do differently. I really like the camera otherwise.
Thanks,
Dave

Joseph Dickerson
4-Nov-2010, 09:14
Hi Again Dave,

Don't mean to jump on Kent's answer but with the Geronar there is no need for the front standard gymnastics. Focuses fine with the front (and back) standard locked down as per normal.

It will still focus down to around 15 to 20 feet or so. Infinity focus with movements is no problem.

By the way, the Geronar has a very generous image circle. Stopped down to f/22 or so it's a very sharp lens.

JD

Dave Hally
4-Nov-2010, 09:54
JD, thanks for the response. I think I'll work with the Shen Hao for a while, and then decide what to do. Either a Shen Hao lightweight or Chamonix OR a different lens. Does anyone have experience with the Fuji 300 8.5 on a Shen Hao HZX llA?
TIA
Dave

Two23
4-Nov-2010, 19:52
Hi Again Dave,

Don't mean to jump on Kent's answer but with the Geronar there is no need for the front standard gymnastics. Focuses fine with the front (and back) standard locked down as per normal.

Quite all right. The Geronar is easy to use on the Shen Hao. Seems to have enough draw unless you are doing some heavy duty macro, maybe.

Kent in SD

Dave Hally
4-Nov-2010, 20:05
Well I do like to get close sometimes. One of the shots I was working on on Saturday had one of the old bollards (6 ft away) on a pier at Fort Mason fairly close with Alcatraz in the background. Probably not going to be a great shot, but it should be interesting. One of 7 that I shot that day, several dupes, waiting for the sail boats to take their positions! Anyway, I play with what I've got for a while and then maybe look around, Maybe look at a Chamonix.
Dave