PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 in a Paterson 3 reel tank

anglophone1
31-Oct-2010, 16:24
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5x4-Film-Processor-Paterson-3-Reel-Tank-/130446396897

Anyone seen or better yet used on of these?
Looks like an interesting alternative to the combiplan or Paterson Orbital route......................
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

Marcial
31-Oct-2010, 17:52
Never seen before.
But the plastic doesn't look better than the combi-plan...

Marcial

mark e mark
1-Nov-2010, 12:30
I have just purchased one, but have yet to use it. The combi-plan takes a while to fill and empty; with the Paterson tank this will be much quicker (better control of development times), and not as messy as the combi-plan.
I am trying to get the manufacturer to do on for 5x7. This is planed to fit the 5 reel Paterson tank, but will do 4-5 sheets and not 6. However, it is better than the 2 sheets at a time I do in the orbital. If your are interested in the 5x7 please email and show your interest

cps
1-Nov-2010, 19:57
I have one coming. Will report back once have had a chance to try it out a few times.

Chris

Scotty230358
2-Nov-2010, 02:00
I have just purchased one, but have yet to use it. The combi-plan takes a while to fill and empty; with the Paterson tank this will be much quicker (better control of development times), and not as messy as the combi-plan.
I am trying to get the manufacturer to do on for 5x7. This is planed to fit the 5 reel Paterson tank, but will do 4-5 sheets and not 6. However, it is better than the 2 sheets at a time I do in the orbital. If your are interested in the 5x7 please email and show your interest

Mark

What size of tank will you be using? I am thinking of buying one but my biggest tank will only hold two 120 size spirals (3x35mm spirals). Would I be right in thinking that this will be too small and that I will have to go for the longer tanks that takes 5 35mm spirals (3 120 sprials)?

IanG
2-Nov-2010, 02:34
The 2x120 paterson tank is the 3 reel one mentioned.

There's a thread on ASPUG about these holders and the guy making them has posted in that thread.

Ian

tbeaman
2-Nov-2010, 16:52
I'm very interested in seeing how these work out too.

There's a thread on ASPUG about these holders and the guy making them has posted in that thread.

I think I remember that thread, but I don't remember if I followed the whole thing or not. Do you have a link?

IanG
2-Nov-2010, 16:56
I'm very interested in seeing how these work out too.

I think I remember that thread, but I don't remember if I followed the whole thing or not. Do you have a link?

It's still current :D

Fresh posts today.

Ian

tbeaman
2-Nov-2010, 17:09
Hah, thanks. I was rushing back here to edit my post after having just seen that. :o

To curb any further laziness from anyone else:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/81198-anybody-using-one-these-4x5-film-processing.html

MODPhotographic
2-Nov-2010, 17:49
hey all,

thats my processor you talking about, so if you want to ask any questions just ask.

I've also just made this vid to explain how it works-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ

Cheers,

Morgan.

PS if you would like to buy one then they're on ebay here-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130450918412&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

anglophone1
3-Nov-2010, 04:23
Hi Morgan
Welcome to LFF!
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

MODPhotographic
3-Nov-2010, 14:03
Hi Morgan
Welcome to LFF!
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

cheers clive.

Ireland and France is a nice combo.

I come from Kinsale.

And try and spend as much time away from London there.

Ed Brock
3-Nov-2010, 19:26
In praise of Paterson. I have been using the Paterson multi reel 5 for quite some time to process 10 sheets of 4x5 in screen tubes. One layer of 5 sheets uses 27 oz. of chemistry and 2 layers of 5 each uses 54 oz. My screen tubes (which anyone can make in minutes) withstand the most aggressive inversion agitation and and the tank empties and fills in seconds. The multi reel 8 will process 15 sheets of 4x5 or 10 sheets of 5x7.

Jay DeFehr
3-Nov-2010, 20:42
Morgan,

Your insert is elegant and ingenious! I hope to be a competitor soon.

Ed,

Your solution is equally ingenious, and offers some advantages over Morgan's, such as flexibility (permits the development of different film formats, and greater numbers of sheets) and economy, though it does require some DIY initiative on the user's part.

I'm grateful for the diversity of ideas shared here.

MODPhotographic
4-Nov-2010, 03:56
Morgan,

Your insert is elegant and ingenious! I hope to be a competitor soon.

Ed,

Your solution is equally ingenious, and offers some advantages over Morgan's, such as flexibility (permits the development of different film formats, and greater numbers of sheets) and economy, though it does require some DIY initiative on the user's part.

I'm grateful for the diversity of ideas shared here.

How will your insert work?

Jay DeFehr
4-Nov-2010, 09:49
Mine is not an insert, but a complete system, so I suppose I won't be competing directly with your insert. I think my system will appeal most to those who shoot formats larger than 4x5 for whom there is no good option for daylight development with intermittent agitation and minimal solution volumes.

I watched your You Tube demo, and I have a few questions about your insert.

Why does it matter which way the emulsion faces? The tank is filled with solution, and the film completely immersed during rest cycles, so it shouldn't matter which way the emulsion faces, as far as I can see.

Have you tried rotary agitation with your insert? Just looking at it, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, unless the film is prone to spring out of the insert, which I doubt is the case. Rotary agitation allows the use of smaller solution volumes, which might be desireable for some users.

I really like your insert, and wish you great success!

anglophone1
4-Nov-2010, 12:27
I'm in West Cork [near Bantry] when in Ireland, here right now. We should meet up when you're here!
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

;645377]cheers clive.

I come from Kinsale.

And try and spend as much time away from London there.[/QUOTE]

MODPhotographic
4-Nov-2010, 13:37
I'm in West Cork [near Bantry] when in Ireland, here right now. We should meet up when you're here!
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

;645377]cheers clive.

I come from Kinsale.

And try and spend as much time away from London there.[/QUOTE]

West Cork is amazing, i grew up there, my family come from Skib, and the surroundings, but i tend to go to kinsale now.

Are you there most of the time?

I go back about 1 evry two months, but will be there for Christmas, lets go for a Pint.

Cheers,

Morgan.

Bob Kerner
13-Nov-2010, 16:18
An updates on this? Anyone here use it yet?

I'd like to take a crack at developing 4x5 and this seems like a good entry point. But I haven't seen a comprehensive review of it.

MODPhotographic
30-Nov-2010, 14:54
An updates on this? Anyone here use it yet?

I'd like to take a crack at developing 4x5 and this seems like a good entry point. But I haven't seen a comprehensive review of it.

Hey Bob,

If you have a look at this forum there are some guys who have written about using my processors.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/81198-anybody-using-one-these-4x5-film-processing-8.html

That may help,

other than me reviewing my own bit of kit!

Cheers,

Morgan.