PDA

View Full Version : Best source for a replacement bellows in the US

Chuck Peacock
30-Oct-2010, 22:27
I guess this must be the week for bellows questions.

I've got an old Tachihara full-plate field camera in need of a new bellows. The existing one is just barely usable and getting worse.

Can anyone recommend a reliable bellows maker? I did a search of forum threads, and while I found a few warnings (mostly about people taking your money and never delivering the bellows), I didn't find anyone who seemed happy with a custom made bellows.

Are there any good stories out there, or just horror stories (I suppose it is Halloween).

Chuck

Eric Woodbury
31-Oct-2010, 00:53
I used someone in the US that I was not impressed with, but it's been 25 years. My suggestion is once you think you've found a maker, call and get a sample. The one I bought so many years ago was stiff when it got cold and made camera movements impossible.

lenser
31-Oct-2010, 03:05
It's been quite a long time, but Turner Bellows in NY did a great job for me on my Ansco 8x10. AS I recall it was a quick turn around and after thirty years, the bellows still looks great and works beautifully.

John Powers
31-Oct-2010, 03:37
I would not limit myself to a bellows from this country. Your camera is not from here. My Linhof is not from here. When I needed a bellows in 2004 for a Linhof Technikardan the forums said Camera Bellows in England provided a good product at a reasonable price. They provided that at ½ the price of a factory replacement bellows with excellent advice on how to make it last. Shipping if I remember correctly was about $25. Customs was no problem in that there was no duty or import tax. Communication was excellent.

My understanding is that Camera Bellows went out of business 1-2 years ago. I believe a new company was started by two of the former employees. One was the former bellows maker who brought all the patterns. Custom Bellows replaced Camera Bellows http://www.custombellows.co.uk/. I have not had any personal transaction with the new company, but the bellows is still very good.

John Powers

IanG
31-Oct-2010, 05:01
Camera Bellows/Custom Bellows make most of the European OEM & replacement bellows, they are by far the best. I've just sold a camera with some bag bellows they made for me back in 1976.

The new name etc was because they became independent again, they were owned by the UK Arriflex distributors who also owned Lee filters. It's still run by the same people.

They are easy to deal with and will almost certainly have a pattern for these bellow.

Ian

Nathan Smith
31-Oct-2010, 06:57
Western Bellows does a great job, I've never heard a complaint about their product - but a common complaint is that they are slow. And sometimes really slow. If you're not in a big hurry then they're an option.

cdholden
31-Oct-2010, 07:24
Western Bellows does a great job, I've never heard a complaint about their product - but a common complaint is that they are slow. And sometimes really slow. If you're not in a big hurry then they're an option.

I can confirm that they do quality work when it finally gets done.
I dealt with Jim, and was quoted a good price with a 3 week turnaround. 11 weeks later, I recieved my bellows. Communication was slow and erratic -- different stories and excuses on each call. After six weeks, I was concerned about the transaction going south. At one point, I had begun to proceed with getting my money back, but I eventually got my bellows as ordered. The whole experience left me uneasy.
I won't deal with them again.

Pete Suttner
31-Oct-2010, 11:36
I'll second cdholden's reply.

Pete

Richard Wasserman
31-Oct-2010, 11:51
I've used Custom Bellows and have been very happy with both their bellows and service.

Kuzano
31-Oct-2010, 13:13
If you run across a good contact for Mark Kapono in Hawaii, Let me know.

He had a good rep for quality bellows making at one time. About three years ago I sent him $157 for a Super Graphic bellows. Good contact and discussion right up until he was supposed to send me the bellows. Even sent pics of the almost completed bellow.

Disappeared. Was never able to raise any info on him at U of Hawaii, where his web site was hosted. He was academic researcher there.

He owes me either my money or the bellows three years now. I look for him occasionally. No luck.

mentalcrisis00
31-Oct-2010, 13:29
Wondering how much bellows generally cost from Custom Bellows? The Bellows on my Wista DX are quite dry and wrinkled. Want to see if it'd be worth it to replace them.

Marko Trebusak
31-Oct-2010, 15:45
Another satisfied customer of Custom Bellows here. I got a 1m long bellows with sinar frame on one end and Arca Swiss frame on the other end for 240 quid delivered.

Cheers,
Marko

Peter De Smidt
31-Oct-2010, 16:16
I've had bellows made by both Custom Bellows (at that time they were Camera Bellows) and Western bellows. If I needed a new bellows, I would go with Custom Bellows, no question. Imo they have better quality, better turn-around time, and better customer service than Western Bellows.

mentalcrisis00
31-Oct-2010, 16:38
Well it does intrigue me, I would like to make me Wista look good. I treated the leather bellows but it didn't take care of the wrinkles. Tried an iron and that did nothing. They're light tight and serviceable so I guess I'll keep them rather than spend $200-$300 on new bellows. I'd only have to install them and the Wista DX does not have removable bellows, they're glued into either side.

I guess if they ever fail I'll know where to go for replacements :)

Jon Wilson
31-Oct-2010, 20:07
Has anyone tried this company?
http://www.gortite.com/bellows/photography.html
Jon

Bruce Barlow
1-Nov-2010, 03:00
I think Wista bellows from across the pond (across from New Hampshire, that is) are on the order of $100, but don't quote me, a quick email should settle the matter. I want to replace the set I have on Baby Wista, which are 25 years old, and tired, like me (the tired part...don't I wish I were 25! again).

jon.oman
1-Nov-2010, 07:15
Anyone use Turner Bellows? Any problems?