PDA

View Full Version : Problem with static charge when pulling dark slides in the field

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 16:57
Anyone have advice on ways to decrease or eliminate static charge when pulling dark slides in the field? I'm experiencing this when shooting in Death Valley. I can hear it when I pull the slides, and it's visible on the negatives.

I use a PVA drying towel with a few drops of anti static film cleaner, along with a dedicated vacuum to clean film holders. I was hoping the anti static cleaner would help minimize static charge in the field but it's not.

Thanks for your help,
Laura

numnutz
30-Oct-2010, 17:13
Fidelity made film holders with the dark slides and the septum made from metal to stop static so you could try to source some of these I have a pair but have never seen them on normal sale.

I think it is the dry atmosphere that is causing this, Perhaps you could try to earth the holders before shooting.

nn :)

Steve Sherman
30-Oct-2010, 17:16
Anyone have advice on ways to decrease or eliminate static charge when pulling dark slides in the field? I'm experiencing this when shooting in Death Valley. I can hear it when I pull the slides, and it's visible on the negatives.

I use a PVA drying towel with a few drops of anti static film cleaner, along with a dedicated vacuum to clean film holders. I was hoping the anti static cleaner would help minimize static charge in the field but it's not.

Thanks for your help,
Laura

Water /moisture naturally kills static electricity, in the car painting business a mixture of water and alcohol to promote evaporation eliminates surface static. Possibly a light spray on the holders immediately before inserting film holder and pulling dark slide will help with your scenario.

Cheers

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 17:18
Thanks nn! Will keep a look out for those. Earthing the holders ain't a bad idea... :-)

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 17:25
Water /moisture naturally kills static electricity, in the car painting business a mixture of water and alcohol to promote evaporation eliminates surface static. Possibly a light spray on the holders immediately before inserting film holder and pulling dark slide will help with your scenario.

Cheers

Thanks Steve! This is a great idea. I'll give it a try!

Jerry Bodine
30-Oct-2010, 18:02
I've never had the static problem with my Fidelity holders, but here's another option. It's a spray-on product called Brillianize that has multiple uses and can be used on the darkslides for anti-static purpose as well as making them really slide easily. It's recommended for cleaning & polishing acrylics (picture framing). I can vouch for the acrylic use, as it makes a really smooth static-free surface. This time of year in DV you may be experiencing both dry and colder air temps, which can generate a lot of static. You might also try sliding the darkslides very slowly to reduce static. Here's the Brillianize website:

Gallon jug to refill the spray bottles (will last you for life).
http://shop.brillianize.com/brillianize-1-gallon-jug-p7.aspx

Edit: It's also available in a 2-pack of 8 oz. spray bottles.
http://shop.brillianize.com/bottles-and-sprayers-c2.aspx

Eric Woodbury
30-Oct-2010, 18:03
Wipe the darkslides with staticide. You can get this at Radio Shack or eqivalent.

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 18:09
Thanks Jerry! This sounds promising.

Sirius Glass
30-Oct-2010, 18:11
Static electricity builds when things are moved quickly. Pull the darkslides very slowly.

Steve

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 18:17
Thanks Eric!

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 18:22
Static electricity builds when things are moved quickly. Pull the darkslides very slowly.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Yep, I'm pulling slowly but maybe I need to slow it down even more. It's pretty dry out there this month. I thought the clouds would bump the humidity but the wind cancels it out. ;-)

BetterSense
30-Oct-2010, 18:23
I always spray my film holders with Static Guard. I've been using it vinyl records for years to kill static too. It lasts a long time. If you go to the travel-size section of the supermarket you can find cute mini spray cans of Static Guard for a buck or two.

Lenny Eiger
30-Oct-2010, 18:29
I wipe my holders down with an anti-static cloth every 3 or 4 loads...

Lenny

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 18:42
I wipe my holders down with an anti-static cloth every 3 or 4 loads...

Lenny

Thanks Lenny! Tried this, but the anti-static cloths aren't enough for the dry climate here.

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 18:45
Thanks Bettersense! Does the Static Guard leave a residue behind?

tgtaylor
30-Oct-2010, 19:57
So far I haven't had a problem with the holders but I admit to slowly pulling and inserting the dark slide. Where I have experienced static electricity was when I was a newby unloading ready loads in the darkroom: I flexed the film too violently which produced an electric spark which showed up on the negative. Ever since then I've learned to handle the film very gently being careful not to bend it sharply and to slowly pull and reinsert the dark slide

Laura_Campbell
30-Oct-2010, 20:13
So far I haven't had a problem with the holders but I admit to slowly pulling and inserting the dark slide. Where I have experienced static electricity was when I was a newby unloading ready loads in the darkroom: I flexed the film too violently which produced an electric spark which showed up on the negative. Ever since then I've learned to handle the film very gently being careful not to bend it sharply and to slowly pull and reinsert the dark slide

Thank you! I just bought a twin pack of Brillianize, so hopefully that combined with super slow dark slide movements will take care of the problem.

Sirius Glass
30-Oct-2010, 20:30
Thanks Steve! Yep, I'm pulling slowly but maybe I need to slow it down even more. It's pretty dry out there this month. I thought the clouds would bump the humidity but the wind cancels it out. ;-)

You are located near Death Valley, so having clouds in the sky would not be an indicator of higher humidity. Have you considered a Grafmatic film holder?

Before putting the film holder in the camera, touch both sides of the film holder while touching the camera to help discharge the static electricity so that it does not arc in the camera or the focal plane.

BetterSense
30-Oct-2010, 20:47
Thanks Bettersense! Does the Static Guard leave a residue behind?
Yes, that's the whole point. You can only detect the residue if you over-apply it, though.

Michael Rosenberg
31-Oct-2010, 10:26
I always dust off my darkslide with a Kinetronics brush, and slowly remove the darkslide. This seems to work for me.

I have tried static sheets from the dryer, and Static Guard, but sometimes get residue. I have tried cleaning the darkslide and my grafmatic septum (plural of septum) with alcohol based screen cleaners that are antistatic.

In part I believe it is all a mystery what really works best for any particular person, and you have to try more than one. And each time you try one, then do a dance and hop on one foot 5-1/2 times.

Mike

jp
31-Oct-2010, 19:26
I'm in a different climate and don't get sparks from static, but do collect dust from static.

I suggest keeping the film holders in antistatic bags like computer parts or electronics components are sold in. It's been almost 100% effective at stopping dust. At work in a low humidity workspace, I have a plastic chair that likes to charge me up, so I taped a antistatic bag to it. Problem solved. Just their presence seems like magic; you don't have to contain what is causing static, just have it in contact with what is causing static and it seems to interupt charge buildup.

Robert Skeoch
3-Nov-2010, 07:56
I wish I had this problem right now. I'm looking out the window on another cold dark wet day. It's just refreshing to think someone is out in Death Valley making great photos.

-Rob