PDA

View Full Version : mounting a Copal 1 lens on a 4X4 Deardorf Board

Bill Poole
30-Oct-2010, 16:26
I am in learning mode on large format. I recently acquired a Deardorff 5X7 view from Robert Seto via this forum. The camera came with a lens in barrel. Now I want to mount a (relatively) modern 180mm or 210mm lens with shutter.

I understand that I need to buy a lens board and have it bored for Copal 1--which is the size shutter that seems most common on these focal lengths. And consulting the S.K. Grimes site, I know that hole size to be 41.8 mm.

What is confusing me is that the information on the Grimes sites seems to indicate that the board is too thick for the shutter--which I guess means that the hole needs to be routed out on its inside face to make room for the mounting nut. Have I got that right?

Thanks for your help.

Oren Grad
30-Oct-2010, 17:26
What is confusing me is that the information on the Grimes sites seems to indicate that the board is too thick for the shutter--which I guess means that the hole needs to be routed out on its inside face to make room for the mounting nut. Have I got that right?

Yes. If you have someone who knows about lenses doing the work, tell them you need the board counterbored so you can mount a modern Copal 1, and they'll know what to do.

Bill Poole
30-Oct-2010, 18:13
Perfect, Oren - thanks.

John Koehrer
30-Oct-2010, 19:57
counterbored that's the word I've been looking for!
I've also got a 57 DD & have made two lensboards nad will shortly be making a couple of more.
I use Forstner bits for drilling, two sizes. Since the bits I have are not metric, I use the "close enough" technique. If the shutter and retaining ring fit without falling through, it's close enough.
For the thickness, 1/8" seems to work well, thicker and it may interfere with installing the optics.