PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara vs. Wista/Zone VI

KyledeC
29-Oct-2010, 11:25
I'm looking to buy a field camera. I have found quit a few Tachihara's and Wista Zone VI's for sale. I was wondering which is the better camera and why?

Thank you much!

Matus Kalisky
29-Oct-2010, 11:30
Well, I would say it depends from what should be the intended usage of the camera.

I have the Tachi and it is very nice field camera - light and compact. However it would not be my choice for macro or table-top (limited bellows draw and no rear standard focusing) tight portrait (the front standard is not too stable when the camera is fully extended - and portrait lenses tend to be heavy) or architecture (the movements with 75mm lens are limited even with recessed lens board and in general less precise than movements with a metal or single rail cameras).

So - what are you after?

Bruce Barlow
29-Oct-2010, 11:45
Not much difference between the two, except for maybe knobs and levers. I have the Zone VI/Wista, which has served me well for 25 years. The Tachihara would have, too, I'm sure.

This feels like a "can't lose" proposition, with the caveats mentioned above in Matus' post.

IMHO, the best portrait lens for 4x5 is a 210, so no worries on shaky extension if that becomes your lens of choice, too.

KyledeC
29-Oct-2010, 11:48
ya the biggest lens I use is a 210mm and the widest is a 65mm. And I would primarily be using the camera for outdoor nature photography and occasional portraits.

Drew Bedo
29-Oct-2010, 13:56
Never used the Tach. I have a Wista/Zone VI and like it while recognising its limitations. At one time I had an old B&J 5x7 with a reducing back. It was clunkey and heavy but had front AXIS tilt and a huge bellows draw for 4x6. Wish I still had it . . .but LOVE my little Zone VI for what it is.

My Wista/Zone VIhas rear tilt and shift while the front has tilt, swing and rise. The front and back both tilt at the base.

I have never looked on camera owenership as a marriage ( . . .till death do us part . . .). Get whichever one is the better deal and start shooting. At some future date you will know all about whatever camera you are using and will know what features your next camera shoul have.

Daniel_Buck
29-Oct-2010, 14:50
I've used a 4x5 Wista/Zone VI, and an 8x10 Tachihara. Granted they were not the same size, but between the two I think I liked the Wista just a little bit better, it just seemed to have a better feel to it. This could be only because the Wista was much older than the Tachi was (the Tachi was brand new, and the Wista was probably 15+ years old), so the Wista may have been more "broken in" than the Tachi, and maybe that's why I liked it better. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them though, within their limitations.

I've actually been thinking of picking up a Wista/Zone because I liked the feel of the one I learned on, and I kind of miss that feel :-)

Eric Biggerstaff
29-Oct-2010, 15:08
I used the Tachi for about 12 years and sold it only to get a Zone VI (made by Zone VI, not the Wista version) due to the longer bellows. I wish I had them both. The Tachi is tough to beat for the price, quality and compact light weight design. It is a traditional design unlike the newer Chamonix but I sort of prefer that. The Tachi quality is first rate and if you get one it will be a wonderful camera for many, many years.

Vaughn
29-Oct-2010, 15:12
The Tachi is a beautiful camera, but not as robust as some other field 4x5's...say, the Shen-ho (if that is the correct spelling.) Still no reason a Tachi would not last a couple lifetimes...unless they are used in a university setting -- then they last two or three years. But we just got a Shen-ho, so we'll see in a couple years what condition it is in! The Horseman Woodman 4x5s have held up pretty good -- longer than the Tachi, but we are having hardware issues now with one of them (student-related/caused, not the fault of the camera manufacturer).

Vaughn

Jon Shiu
29-Oct-2010, 15:38
I've used the Tachihara for many years. It is been stable and easy to use, even with a heavy 240mm Caltar IIN in Copal 3 shutter. It is possible to focus with the rear standard, using the sliding feature.

Jon

SeanEsopenko
29-Oct-2010, 22:13
I don't have any experience with the Tachihara and limited experience with large format but my Wista 45SP metal field camera is built like a sherman tank. I'll pass it's the shoulder strap of my tripod through the wista's carrying strap and climb up ladders without much of a worry that it's banging around against metal. This is when it's closed of course and without a lens in it ;)

I've also heard some people say wind is an issue with their view cameras but it's never been one for mine.

Doremus Scudder
30-Oct-2010, 01:05
I own a couple Wista DXs (as well as a Woodman and a late model Zone VI) in my "woodie" aresenal. The Woodman is my European camera and lives there. In the US, where I do mostly outdoor photography and lots of hiking, scrambling, etc., I tend to use the Wista most due to its light weight.

The Woodman, I believe is much like the Tachihara. It is a good a serviceable camera, but will not take recessed lens boards (due to interference with the bellows) and will not fold up with a lens inside the camera body. The Wista does both of these things, which are real advantages when 1) using wide lenses (I use 90mm and 75mm a lot). 2) hiking with a small kit.

Hope this helps some

Doremus Scudder

Matus Kalisky
30-Oct-2010, 02:40
65 on Tachi will compress the bellows to the point that no movements will be possible (I know, the 65 lenses on the market do not offer too much movements anyhow) 210 will be fine.

I use 75, 125, 240 adn 400 (tele) lenses. The 240 is easy, but it is the small and light Fujinon 240/9. The 400/8 is from Osaka - 0.5 kg heavy telephoto lens that requires some 260 mm of extension when focused to infinity - one needs to be careful there are if any shake is introduced it takes a few seconds for the camera to stabilize (no, it is not a wobbly tripod or head).

In general the Tachi should do fine for the purpose intended. The simplicity was mentioned above and I have to admit that it is an advantage as you do not have too many controls to use (or eventually forget).

I do consider to swap the Tachi for something like Toyo 125VX for a bit more stability and precision as I seem to be shooting more in the cities recently and I would like to get more freedom with wide angle lenses. Still - for travel and hiking the Tachi is all one needs.

Two23
6-Nov-2010, 17:01
To confuse things even more, the first Wista VI were made by Tachichara!

Kent in SD