PDA

View Full Version : metric scales - an expensive solution?

Henry Stanley
15-May-2002, 17:58
Is there a less expensive way to measure out the ingredients of darkroom develop ers and other chemicals in grams, etc., other than buying a $100+ electronic sca le? (I'm always impressed with the ingenuity demonstrated on this site!)

Henry Stanley

N Dhananjay
15-May-2002, 18:04
Try making percentage solutions. So, for example, if you need 0.2 gms of phenidone, make up a 1 % solution (i.e., mix 1 gm of phenidone in 100ml of water). For your developer, which requires 0.2 gms of phenidone, add 20 ml of your 1% solution to eh developer you are mixing. Cheers, DJ

Michael A.Smith
15-May-2002, 18:10
Somewhere on the Internet I found that there was a place that sold weights. For travel Paula and I bought a small weight set in grams that was very inexpensive--maybe $10, as I recall. It was so inexpensive that I bought two. And when on the road and developing in a friend's darkroom, we take along an old Pelouze scale. I think it was $9.95 new. I'm sure you can find them somewhere for a pittance.

Eugene
15-May-2002, 18:35
Henry, in the appendix of the book The Darkroom Cookbook, by Steven Anchell, there is a chart that shows gram weight equivalents converted to volume measurements. You only need to buy a set of measuring spoons at your local housewares store. For example, potassium bromide -- 3.2 grams equals 1/2 level teaspoon. The chart in the book includes most of the common chemicals, but if you want to be absolutely accurate, buy a digital scale. Try artcraftchemicals.com

tedkaufman
15-May-2002, 18:37
I can't help you with a brand name, but there are very accurate and inexpensive scales available for measuring gun powder. Reloaders use these scales to measure grains, and most of them will also measure in grams, or you can simply convert the amounts from a chart. I remember Gordon Hutchings mentioning exactly this type scale (and offering a brand name) in the back of his Book of Pyro. These scales cost less than $25.

Lars Åke Vinberg
15-May-2002, 20:12
Ask someone in Europe to buy you a Philips HR2388 electronic kitchen scales. they are about US$40, resolve down to one gram.

Or try this page:

http://www.fernsnutrition.com/hmscale.html

/?ke

Henry Stanley
16-May-2002, 02:36
Sounds like a winner. Thanks to all.

-- Henry

Mikhail Arkhipov
17-May-2002, 00:51
Try this scale (http://www.scientificsonline.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm? productid=739)

Julio Fernandez
17-May-2002, 01:20
Henry: You can buy a laboratory scale in eBay for less than $100. If you have been measuring in ounces, grains and all that silly stuff, you will delight in the metric system. The time you save will pay for the scale. You do not need an electronic scale. There are many good brands. With many labs replacing their equipment or closing, you should have no problem at all getting a really good one. Cheers!