PDA

View Full Version : Caltar II - N 210mm vs schneider Symmar-S 210mm

mentalcrisis00
28-Oct-2010, 15:21
I'm wondering which is the better lens, primarily will be used for close ups and portrait on Wista DX field camera. Caltar II - N 1:5.6 210mm MC vs Schneider Symmar-S F 5.6 210mm MC.

The caltar 210mm is about $130 on ebay and I got offered a Schneider 210mm with lens board, cable release, and wrench for $250

Also what if the filter size of the Caltar 210mm? I've read it's the same as the Rodenstock Sirona-N 210mm which is 67mm filter size. The Symmar-S 210mm is 77mm filter size I know that.

rdenney
28-Oct-2010, 17:52
I'm wondering which is the better lens, primarily will be used for close ups and portrait on Wista DX field camera. Caltar II - N 1:5.6 210mm MC vs Schneider Symmar-S F 5.6 210mm MC.

The caltar 210mm is about $130 on ebay and I got offered a Schneider 210mm with lens board, cable release, and wrench for $250

Also what if the filter size of the Caltar 210mm? I've read it's the same as the Rodenstock Sirona-N 210mm which is 67mm filter size. The Symmar-S 210mm is 77mm filter size I know that.

A Caltar II-N is a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N. It was also sold as a Sinaron-S. They are all multicoated and use a 67mm filter. If the lens and shutter are functional, the price is quite good--$200 is more typical for a good user.

The Symmar-S is a middle-aged Schneider of similar design, but it might be only single-coated. The price with the correct board and cable release is a good one.

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between photos made with each of these, if they haven't been knocked out of their original alignment. They have a similar design and were both made by premium manufacturers.

Rick "who has a Sinaron 210 just like the Caltar" Denney

lenser
28-Oct-2010, 17:59
Can't compare the two, but I can assure you that my Caltar II is a fantastically sharp lens with wonderful color properties. Totally happy with mine.

mentalcrisis00
28-Oct-2010, 18:28
Ya the reason I asked was because there was a Caltar II-N 210mm going out on ebay with an hour left when I posted. The seller has a good rep and said the lens is clean and functioning. It comes with a lens board but not the right size and I don't think it has the caps, I didn't even realise till after I bid on it. However I got it for $142 so I saved $120 as long as the lens works properly. From the pictures it looks really clean but you can never tell unless you use it. Sort of don't like buying used equipment because of that factor, but the brand new made LF lenses are SO expensive.

I researched it a bit, I guess the Caltar II-N's are more desirable cause they're smaller, have the same picture quality as symmar-s, and generally are less costly. So heck as long as it works I'll be happy.

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2010, 19:47
Unless somebody drop-kicked it, all the German 210s made over the past 30 years are really fine lenses, so just buy the best deal -- they were the most popular lenses and are plentiful so you can get a great lens for $200 (or better).

mentalcrisis00
28-Oct-2010, 21:29
Ya I kind of figured that was the case they all seem to be really well made. The Schneider 90mm Super Angulon F8 was a real kick in the pants though. I got it for $277 and it was really about $40 cheaper than anything else I was seeing on ebay. I probably could have got one of the old chromed 90mm SA's but I really wanted the all black for personal reasons, was my favorite lens when I was borrowing gear from college.

Anyhow the 210mm for $142 helped me offset the cost of everything else so I'm happy.

Rick Moore
29-Oct-2010, 05:00
You got a very good deal. A functioning Copal #1 shutter by itself is worth at least that much.

--
Rick

Kevin Crisp
29-Oct-2010, 06:05
My Schneider-S 210 used 72mm filters.

mentalcrisis00
29-Oct-2010, 06:22
My Schneider-S 210 used 72mm filters.

Ya I couldn't find specs on the Caltar II but I did find the specs on the Sirona-N 210mm and it says it takes 67mm, and others have confirmed that so hopefully I don't get a surprise. Already ordered a 67mm NC filter. I think Schneider lists the Symmar-S 210 5.6 MC as having 77mm filters so maybe you have an older or newer one than what i was looking at?

Roboflick
1-Nov-2010, 13:40
The caltar ii n takes 67 mm filters. I just put one on the one I got from keh this week. I am using it tomorrow for the first time along with my new tachihara to take portraits of my wife. I have two more shots of fjuiji fp100b. That I plan on using tomorrow.