PDA

View Full Version : Film in Holders

gbr1000
28-Oct-2010, 15:06
Just wondering how long would it be safe to keep unexposed 4x5 film in holders. When I go out with my camera, I always come back with maybe one or two holders with unexposed film in them. Instead taking out the film, how long would it be safe leaving it in the holder in the Refrigerator ?

Jack Dahlgren
28-Oct-2010, 15:09
Several years.

The only problem would be condensation. Try using some dessicant.

Put them in a plastic bag first and let them come up to ambient temp before opening the bag.

I keep black and white film in holders un-refrigerated (but in a cool dark place) for a long time.

BradS
28-Oct-2010, 15:58
I keep black and white film in holders un-refrigerated (but in a cool dark place) for a long time.

me too. once the film box is open, it never goes back in the fridge.

BrianShaw
29-Oct-2010, 08:25
me three (regarding the holders), but I've always re-refrigerated open film boxes that have been enclosed in a zip-lock bag ( usually two of them)

gevalia
30-Oct-2010, 09:20
I've kept B&W film in holders in ziplocks in my backpack for months with no issues. Not that I think that was wise but no harm was done. Just make sure the you wait a good 20 minutes for the inside bag/outside bag temps to sync before opening or you'll chance getting a bit of condensation which will just ruin every shot.

wskmosaic
2-Nov-2010, 09:55
I've kept some in the freezer comprtment of the refrigerator--sealed in plastic--with no ill effect.
Warren

Sirius Glass
2-Nov-2010, 10:23
Once the film is in the film holder or Grafmatic, what I do not uses in a ziplock bag and back into the refrigerator.

Steve

Steve Hamley
3-Nov-2010, 04:44
Same here. The fridge is fine, but as a precaution don't expose cold film to humid air to avoid condensation. Let it warm up for an hour or two before loading holders.

Cheers, Steve