PDA

View Full Version : Unicolor drums

Richard Aroner
27-Oct-2010, 06:14
Help me, I'm mildly confused. New to 4x5, I purchased an 8x10 unicolor PAPER drum and motor base for developing my negatives following a number of recommendations here and elsewhere. In use the drum leaked, an annoyance at best. Searching the web this is apparently a common problem and a number of respondents talked about a plastic ring and underlying gasket which caused the problem. Also there was discussion about a locking arrangement on their drums. However my drum does not have these features. The head does not lock, it only has a locator pin and a press fit onto the drum. There is apparently no gasket, just what looks like a plastic "o" ring I think molded right to the head. Also, the ends are not externally smooth as seen in some photographs but have a crinkly finish. So what do I have here? Is this an older or newer version and where is the seal to prevent leakage? Otherwise it has the separator, internal ridges and works OK.

Richard

Jim Noel
27-Oct-2010, 09:15
That does not sound like a Unicolor drum, but a Beseler or Omega drum. I have owned all three and have had Unicolors from the time they were white, version 1. All of the Unicolor had twist on caps which locked.

Don Wilkes
27-Oct-2010, 12:00
Not entirely true, Jim. I have (and use) an old Unicolor drum, which has the press-fit cap with locater pin on the drum. Mine is black, and I don't recall ever seeing a white one. Perhaps we Canadians received slightly different stock.

Don Wilkes
27-Oct-2010, 12:03
Sorry—hit send before I was quite done. I believe the tank Richard has is quite an old one, as it sounds identical to mine, complete with leak problem, alas. I believe I bought mine in the summer of 1973. Anyone remember the old Agfa kits for colour paper?

Nathan Smith
27-Oct-2010, 12:14
There's a lot of info on the Unicolor leak topic, here's one on APUG:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/53176-final-unicolor-unidrum-gasket-repair.html

I know I saw a full-scale scan of the original Unicolor seal somewhere. Folks often cut them out of various types of rubber material.

Pawlowski6132
27-Oct-2010, 13:57
Picture is worth 1,000 words.

Daniel Unkefer
29-Oct-2010, 04:25
Haven't used it for a bit, I'm cleaning it up to use this winter. Here's my Old-Style (original) 8x10 Unidrum on a Uniroller. All of these leak, from time to time, seems like no matter what you do. My permanant solution to this issue, is to put everything into a Rubbermaid Dishwashing Tub, and place 5x7 Patterson Developing Trays on both sides of the UniRoller. I just rinse out the small trays, when I am cleaning up. Very easy to move around, and store.