PDA

View Full Version : Kentmere Select VC RC paper

biglewsmi
24-Oct-2010, 08:00
Hello everyone,
I recently decided to give Kentmere Select VC RC paper a try based on hearing that it gives very deep blacks and freestyle's description that it gives "cool crisp prints." I developed it using Arista Ultra Black developer and the results are far from cool toned. In fact there are no try blacks anywhere in the print, it is just a warm brown tone. I am considering sending this box of paper back, but before I do I wanted to see what others have have found when they tried this paper. I'm thinking maybe there is a problem with this paper and developer combo perhaps. Anyway, what are your thoughts and opinions on the this paper or this problem. Thanks in advance.

G. Lewis Smith

Gem Singer
24-Oct-2010, 08:36
The problem is not the paper.

It's the combination of paper and developer.

Try another developer.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2010, 09:17
Test it under your enlarger without any filtration or negative by making a test strip. Develop. If still no blacks, try another developer, like good old dectol. If again still no blacks, it's most likely the paper. I once had the same problem with Forte VC. In the end, it was the paper.

dncswclds
26-Oct-2010, 21:11
I have never had problems with Kentmere paper. Are you sure it is not your developer ?
It is one of my favorite pprs. Very nice blacks.

biglewsmi
28-Oct-2010, 18:03
I think I'll keep the paper and order some Dektol and give it a try with that. Thanks everybody.

GL Smith

matthew klos
8-Nov-2010, 15:55
i like that paper, i use it for contacting all my negatives. I always use dektol. Ilford makes it don't they?

biglewsmi
8-Nov-2010, 16:46
I tried this paper this weekend with dektol, and I liked it very much. So, for the record Kentmere paper and Arista Ultra Black developer is a terrible combination.