PDA

View Full Version : In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

SeanEsopenko
23-Oct-2010, 16:22
Here's a question: What are some of the improvements to your workflow while out in the field you've been able to make? Things that produce better images, make the process quicker, etc etc.

I'll start with one. I've started slinging my 5D around my neck with a lens of similar FOV to what's on the technical field camera. I'll use the SLR for framing/composition, metering, and looking at histograms. Then I'll set up the 4x5 and fire away. It's been great for saving wasted time on setting up the 4x5 only to find the composition and light range isn't going to work out.

It's worked out better than carrying a little paper window like I was doing before. I could never hold the thing at the right distance from my face to get the right field of view.

Vaughn
23-Oct-2010, 16:31
Practice practice, practice...

sun of sand
23-Oct-2010, 18:28
these titles make an OP look like a phony

In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

wow

bad enough at "in the field"
where else? the actual field or in the studio either way theyre both "in the field"

i now look at the scene in "field of view" to pick my lens
just draw imaginary lines

i dont like taking a digital cause then i get sidetracked with all the other possible photos
have a hard enough time just stoppng to take the photo i saw in the first place ..usually skip those i feel are always there and chase after magic moments

SeanEsopenko
23-Oct-2010, 19:19
these titles make an OP look like a phony

In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples

wow

bad enough at "in the field"
where else? the actual field or in the studio either way theyre both "in the field"

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? It's comments like these that turn many people off of forums. People who ream on others for not using google before posting. People who taunt somebody with less experience and knowledge than themselves. Way to go; you stole the candy bar. I've added you to my ignore list.

Thanks for the advice, anyways.

jeroldharter
23-Oct-2010, 19:39
Sean,

Don't worry too much. At least this is a place where people get passionate about "large format field tips." I would not want it any other way. Nothing like a heated discussion about Pyro or this or that. Here are a couple of links of interest:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20430

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33617&highlight=field+tips

I think everyone goes through an evolution of field tips starting with things that help like a focal length frame, to radical simplification of focal lengths, etc. I always think it is interesting to see how other people do things, what they carry in their kit, etc. and then try to adapt it for my own needs which are constantly changing. I keep waiting for the point at which I don't need to change anything...

SeanEsopenko
23-Oct-2010, 19:46
Sean,

Don't worry too much. At least this is a place where people get passionate about "large format field tips." I would not want it any other way. Nothing like a heated discussion about Pyro or this or that. Here are a couple of links of interest:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20430

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33617&highlight=field+tips

I think everyone goes through an evolution of field tips starting with things that help like a focal length frame, to radical simplification of focal lengths, etc. I always think it is interesting to see how other people do things, what they carry in their kit, etc. and then try to adapt it for my own needs which are constantly changing. I keep waiting for the point at which I don't need to change anything...

"field tips". Cool, I couldn't think of a good word for it :) Thanks for the links, they're a good read so far.

Heroique
23-Oct-2010, 20:33
I could never hold the [viewing frame] at the right distance from my face to get the right field of view.

It certainly took me some practice. Now that I’m better, I think that the viewing frame is the most useful field tool that receives the least discussion in this forum. (AA calls it a cut-out card in The Camera; see “Basic Image Management.”) I've taken fewer & better shots because of it.

But one must be careful…

It’s useful in isolating elements in a scene by imposing borders roughly corresponding to a particular lens’ field of view, but this instant usefulness can monopolize your attention w/o your awareness that it’s doing so, blinding you to other ways of seeing a shot. In a phrase, it can make things too easy.

This psychological caveat aside, the frame is among the least expensive, easiest to carry, and most useful of field tools.

SeanEsopenko
23-Oct-2010, 20:41
Is it true that you can pretty much measure the distance from your eyes to the frame (if it's 4x5 inches) and that's the mm of lens you need?

I completely overlooked the focus loupe until I picked up a cheap, plastic lens 8x one (meant for viewing negatives, I think) from the local camera dealer (their own brand for $12). Man oh man! It's in my right-hand pocket at all times when I go out, now. It gave a confidence in my focusing that allowed me to spend more time on other things.

jeroldharter
23-Oct-2010, 20:49
For the focusing frame, tie a piece of white string to it. Use different colored Sharpie markers to put a mark for the distance of each of your focal lengths from the side of your eye to the frame. For example, 75, 90, 125, 150, 210, 300, 450, 600 mm or whatever you have. Might be helpful to extend the range beyond your lenses so you can better see the results of lenses you have not yet purchased.

sun of sand
23-Oct-2010, 20:53
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? It's comments like these that turn many people off of forums. People who ream on others for not using google before posting. People who taunt somebody with less experience and knowledge than themselves. Way to go; you stole the candy bar. I've added you to my ignore list.

Thanks for the advice, anyways.

lots of people do those things without you ever knowing theyre doing it
i at least let you know

those people are assholes, though
im being one because i see you as trying to become one yourself

who speaks like that? In The Field Workflow Enhancement Examples?

blink
twitch blink

only children add people to ignore lists
lol if no one ever mentioned these things exist i'd never know

Brian Ellis
23-Oct-2010, 21:02
Here's a question: What are some of the improvements to your workflow while out in the field you've been able to make? Things that produce better images, make the process quicker, etc etc.

I'll start with one. I've started slinging my 5D around my neck with a lens of similar FOV to what's on the technical field camera. I'll use the SLR for framing/composition, metering, and looking at histograms. Then I'll set up the 4x5 and fire away. It's been great for saving wasted time on setting up the 4x5 only to find the composition and light range isn't going to work out.

It's worked out better than carrying a little paper window like I was doing before. I could never hold the thing at the right distance from my face to get the right field of view.

I don't know, a 5D with lens is pretty heavy. I'm not sure I'd want to carry my 5D Mark II around just to save the time and trouble of occasionally setting up a 4x5. Have you considered mounting the 4x5 and lens on your tripod and carrying the tripod over your shoulder? It's not practical to carry it that way on long hikes but I sometimes do it if I'm in a general area where I might want to make a photograph and walking around the area looking for the right composition.

Vaughn
23-Oct-2010, 23:08
I have never cared much for the viewing frames, though I can and have used my hands/fingers to create a frame when needed. Until relatively recently, I have kept to one lens per format -- usually the "normal" for the format. This, along with hours under the dark cloth, has helped me to feel comfortable determining camera position without a viewing frame.

Switching formats and adding lenses makes things interesting, but over time one can begin to anticipate what will show up on the GG. I am still occasionally surprised at what shows up (or doesn't) on the GG, but the surprises themselves can be learned from.

But I think the main reason I do not like using viewing frames is that I tend to think in terms of what I can bring into the image, rather than isolating the image from the surroundings. Just one way of many to work.

Vaughn

Dan Fromm
24-Oct-2010, 01:45
Re viewing frames, I've never tried 'em. Probably are a very good idea, but I've learned how the lenses I use most see. Practice, also spelled experience, sometimes substitutes for gadgets. Not always, but sometimes.

Sean, I don't have a digital camera. Having one might be a good idea. I make do without by using a light meter. Histogram indeed!

Re saving time, that's a nice idea too. Setting up for a shot can certainly take a lot of time, especially a closeup shot out in the woods. I'd love to have some tips on doing that, ideally that don't involve more gadgets.

I have one trick that doesn't save time so much as it saves discomfort. For subjects near ground level, mount the camera vertically with a 45 degree mirror in front of the lens. No easier to set up than a camera nearly at ground level, takes a while to get composition right, but less uncomfortable than lying on my face or side and trying to see what's on the GG. Mirror? I use a Spiratone Mirrotach. Yes, that's a gadget.

Sean, your comment about people who tell lazy posters to search first reminds me of many discussions on The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/section/Home/5/ It seems that first year students and some older ones too -- posters on the Chronicle call them snowflakes, not a compliment -- don't have the concept "do it myself." In my limited experience, the only way to gain proficiency at anything, including figuring things out, is to practice. This means doing things myself instead of begging random strangers for help. "Google" isn't the only way to find things out. Before Google was Alta-Vista. Before that there were, and still are, books and libraries. I push people who ask old questions to which answers are easily found to look for themselves. Their pained responses, yours included, tell me that they're basically clueless. Get a clue, man.

sun of sand
24-Oct-2010, 17:47
you mean those hundreds of post-its and emails i write for my grandmother, aunt and mother explaining how to do the simplest of things on the computer probably aren't working?
even the 2nd time and third?

sun of sand
24-Oct-2010, 17:52
i use a mirror
a 4x5 front surface mirror
every shot pretty much

binocular viewer might be nice but it would also be bulky
maybe when im 50

dont think its a time saver or anything
just how i like to do it

Eric Biggerstaff
24-Oct-2010, 18:34
http://www.dickblick.com/products/viewcatcher/?wmcp=amazon&wmcid=feeds&wmckw=04995-1001

Here is a nifty viewing frame that a friend showed me. I have used one for many years and it is a great tool to help isolate images, find the right spot for your tripod and aid in lens selection. For many of us, practice is key. Once you know what you are doing it doesn't take more than a few minutes to set up the camera and get it ready to go. Normally, I do like Brian suggested, keep the camera on the tripod and slowly walk while looking, also, if I am driving around then I will keep a lens on the camera so I can move more quickly. But the key, is simply to practice.

Merg Ross
24-Oct-2010, 21:12
Sean, you have received some helpful ideas, and several from those who produce top notch work. This forum is not unique in the sense that there are those who contribute very little to the topic, and whose evidence of production is difficult to find. Never mind, move on.

As the title suggests, you are interested in field photography, although unclear whether some distance from a vehicle or working from same. So, not being a backpacker, my suggestions are for a mile or two from a vehicle, and encompass my methods over a fifty-five year period.

First, as Brian suggested, having the camera mounted on the tripod and carried over the shoulder works well. Limit your choice of lenses to two, or perhaps three. As to framing, I have always used my hands, and with a little practice you should be able to master that aspect of composition and lens selection. I believe Vaughn mentioned "practice", a vital component, to which I would add, "experience". Be very familiar with your film and learn how it responds to light and to your method of development. Spend a day or two exposing it in various lighting conditions without use of a meter; there will be occasions when you will not have time to meter a scene; be comfortable without a meter. Use filters sparingly, and only when absolutely necessary; their use slows the process.

These few comments address black and white photography; color is another matter. The key is to simplify to the point that you are unaware of the mechanical process in the field; your eye and composition are paramount.

Dan Fromm
25-Oct-2010, 01:42
i use a mirror
a 4x5 front surface mirror
every shot pretty much

binocular viewer might be nice but it would also be bulky
maybe when im 50

dont think its a time saver or anything
just how i like to do itThe difference between mine and yours is, I think, that mine goes in front of the lens and yours goes behind the ground glass. Mine is usable mainly when the camera is pointed straight down -- Spiratone sold the mirror box for "deceptive angle shooting," with the camera in normal position, i.e., level, and the subject 90 degrees off the lens' axis -- and in general not necessary otherwise.

Yours could be used to make shooting subjects more-or-less at ground level easier, but the yours and mine really aren't equivalent. Reducing pain is at least as important as saving time.

I have a monocular viewer for my 2x3 Cambo, much the same as your gadget. It saves having to carry a loupe and dark cloth, not time.

SeanEsopenko
25-Oct-2010, 11:13
I don't know, a 5D with lens is pretty heavy. I'm not sure I'd want to carry my 5D Mark II around just to save the time and trouble of occasionally setting up a 4x5. Have you considered mounting the 4x5 and lens on your tripod and carrying the tripod over your shoulder? It's not practical to carry it that way on long hikes but I sometimes do it if I'm in a general area where I might want to make a photograph and walking around the area looking for the right composition.

Why the 5D? I use it because it's what I have. The Canon 85mm lens isn't too heavy compared to the Zeiss 35mm I mostly use when I'm actually shooting with the SLR. I'm young and can stand the weight around my neck for now :). I usually shoot digital on manual so I'm a little used to guestimating the lighting situation. I just like having the histograms for when I've moved into a new lighting situation and need a quick confirmation of my hunches.

The head of my tripod doesn't fully support the weight of the view camera. When I'm shooting I have to wait until it stops wobbling in the head's loose grip of the quick-release plate. Even with the smaller 5D the quick release plate wobbles in it's holder and I don't really trust it's strength if I were to carry a camera over my shoulder attached to the tripod. I'm waiting to come across a good price on a used video head to put on the tripod, then I can go the over-the-shoulder route.

I'd say most of my shooting is done during walks through urban Calgary so I guess you could call that "hiking". They're usually 20-40 block meanders. I've found keeping the tripod legs extended and slinging it over my shoulder with a shoulder strap saves time. I carry the camera by it's handle strap with the only lens I have installed. It doesn't help with time but I compress the bellows while I'm walking out of paranoia of bumping against somebody/something and tearing it.

I'm still working out where to store everything in my bag but so far I've figured out an arrangement where I only have to unzip it halfway to access most everything I need. I sometimes have trouble setting up if I'm somewhere muddy/dirty/bird-poopy and I can't really lie the backpack down to get what I need.

I agree on filters adding time. I have a mishmash of filters at 67mm and 72mm because I've picked them up used & cheap over time and fiddling around with adapter rings definitely makes things a pain. Large filters aren't cheap so I just deal with what I have.

One of my problems, I find, is that the lens that came with my 4x5 (180mm fujinon) just isn't the FOV I like. I loose most of my time just trying to find a composition I like that'll fit in it's angle. That'll change since I'm getting a wider lens soon (135mm or 90mm). It'll be similar to the 35mm I use frequently on my SLR and I'll be able to find compositions I find worth setting up the tripod for. I've been reworking my monthly budget to compensate for the increased film & chemical consumption I'm expecting when I finally get a lens I'll actually like ;)

jim kitchen
25-Oct-2010, 12:34
Dear Sean,

If you have a moment, contact me directly, and we shall go from there... :)

jim k

bob carnie
25-Oct-2010, 13:44
I just started 8x10 thanks to Dave Wooten , and now I have to convince my young nephews to carry all this stuff.
I think carrying the camera on the tripod, 4x5 is the best advice so far. 8x10 probably is pretty hard.
Having a lot of holders full of film for me is the most important thing, I like moving the tripod around to find differing angles therefore lots of film is of importance to me.
I also like a monster size darkcloth for focusing, protecting the bellows and even angled to be a great lens shade.

Now I just have to get out a lot over the next few years since I still can bribe the youngsters to come out with me.

Some may cringe here , but I use smaller roll film first in every new location to basically scout out an area , and then go back to hit it with the larger film.
Also if you shoot both colour and black white I try to stay consistant ISO for both.

HP5 at 150ISo drop process in Pyro, and fuji colour at 150iso 1/2 push , keeps things pretty well equal when trying to figure out exposure.

36cm2
26-Oct-2010, 05:00
Jeroldharter: "Might be helpful to extend the range beyond your lenses so you can better see the results of lenses you have not yet purchased. "

Somehow I see where this is going...;)

Tim k
29-Oct-2010, 15:41
Instead of a viewing card, I've taken a piece of black ribbon and marked the different lens coverage angles on the ribbon. Simply hold the ribbon at arms length and read the marks that correspond to the lens that makes you happy. I have used different colors for different formats, and its interesting to see the comparison.

I tend to mess with a lot of different formats and for me this works. If one was to stick to a format, it shouldn't take too long to just know what lens will work.

PViapiano
29-Oct-2010, 23:48
A few years ago I decided I would carry my 4x5 gear and tripod in my trunk with the goal of shooting 30 photographs within that month. Every time I saw a photograph, I'd park the car, grab my stuff out of the trunk, set up, meter, take the shot, tear it down and get going again. Just one or two shots a day, but at the end of the month I was solid with the technical and practical aspects of working with a view camera.

Curt
30-Oct-2010, 00:18
I just started 8x10 thanks to Dave Wooten , and now I have to convince my young nephews to carry all this stuff.
I think carrying the camera on the tripod, 4x5 is the best advice so far. 8x10 probably is pretty hard.
Having a lot of holders full of film for me is the most important thing, I like moving the tripod around to find differing angles therefore lots of film is of importance to me.
I also like a monster size darkcloth for focusing, protecting the bellows and even angled to be a great lens shade.

Now I just have to get out a lot over the next few years since I still can bribe the youngsters to come out with me.

Some may cringe here , but I use smaller roll film first in every new location to basically scout out an area , and then go back to hit it with the larger film.
Also if you shoot both colour and black white I try to stay consistant ISO for both.

HP5 at 150ISo drop process in Pyro, and fuji colour at 150iso 1/2 push , keeps things pretty well equal when trying to figure out exposure.

Oh I don't know, I saw Brett Weston carrying the Calumet C1 on a tripod over his shoulder in his video, maybe a better man than most. If I did it that way I could walk maybe 6 feet or so but would have to sit down and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

I know, get a stroller, but I would like a professional model, not the kind we had when our son was a baby. I'm more grown up now, at least to me, my wife might have something else to say about it.

bob carnie
30-Oct-2010, 07:29
I think my brother will force his lazy kids to come with me and do the heavy lifting, they need to get off the couch and those stupid gameboys.
The 8x10 Dave gave me to use is actually not so bad in weight compared to the 4x5 I have, but its all the holders with film that are a pain to carry.
I cannot imagine how the ULF guys manage , and I hear there is this crazy guy in the South carrying around a 20x24 wet plate.. Manny , Minniy some silly name like that.

Oh I don't know, I saw Brett Weston carrying the Calumet C1 on a tripod over his shoulder in his video, maybe a better man than most. If I did it that way I could walk maybe 6 feet or so but would have to sit down and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

I know, get a stroller, but I would like a professional model, not the kind we had when our son was a baby. I'm more grown up now, at least to me, my wife might have something else to say about it.

Jack Dahlgren
30-Oct-2010, 08:06
Hmmm... Maybe I should replace the black ground glass cover with a piece of plexiglass that I could hold at various distances...

Or hold up a film holder and imagine the photo is everything that I'm not able to see.

SeanEsopenko
1-Nov-2010, 11:23

I met up with Jim Kitchen yesterday and saw his 8x10 set up on a tripod with a lens on it. I thought to myself "holy cow, and he said he carries that in a backpack!".

I can understand where many people are saying experience is one of the best assets to improve shooting speed. I'm still finding myself unfamiliar with the capabilities and restrictions of camera movements (coming from the DSLR, fixed lens world). I will find a composition I like but then spend much time moving the lens all over the place to adjust the framing and the focus. I'll take the picture and realize I just performed a bed drop with a camera rise, practically replicating the camera in it's default position. I sometimes feel silly when looking at my camera after I've taken a picture.