PDA

View Full Version : Regulating the "friction/tightness" of the aperture control mechanism on LF lenses?

l2oBiN
23-Oct-2010, 12:28
I have several lenses each with a different level of "tightness/friction" when it comes to setting the aperture. Is this normal? In any case, can this be regulated?

Sdrubansky
24-Oct-2010, 01:49
Same here.
On at least one of my lenses/shutters I'd like the aperture
lever to be a little harder to move.

M

GPS
24-Oct-2010, 02:16
If you don't want to open the shutter and look for a solution there you can always put a layer or two of a tape on the back of the aperture ring to create some friction between it and the lens mounting board. Alternatively, you could put the tape on a small area of the lens board. Won't be even visible.

l2oBiN
24-Oct-2010, 12:34
Any other solutions? Does the shutter need to be opened?

John Koehrer
25-Oct-2010, 10:55
There's not really an adjustment for tension in the shutter.
The shims mentioned above will be the easiest.

But, as in all things there's always a hard way to it. When you look at the back of the shutter, there are probably three, sometimes four screw holding the aperture ring in place. They may be loose, if they aren't you could put a thin washer under the head of each one. a couple of thousandths should do it.
The quest will begin in earnest looking for this stuff though. Screw mount Pentax cameras sometimes had exactly what you need, they were used to adjust lens to flange distance on the bodies.
Aluminum foil?, Mylar sheet? plastic packaging from a pack of batteries. Might even be in the junk drawer in the kitchen.
You might do this by taking a square of either, put the screw through it & trim the excess after reinstalling the screw. That would be easier than trying to make a washer separately.