PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lens 110-135 (to be sandblasted)

Acheron Photography
21-Oct-2010, 11:24
I am going to Namibia next year, and plan to take my Arca 5x4. The problem is that there is a lot of sand where I'll be, and the wind blows. So there is, I suspect, significant danger of sandblasting the lens. I'm reluctant to take my 110XL. So, could someone recommend a cheap lens for 5x4 in the 110 to 135 range where it won't be a tragedy if it gets sandblasted? It needs to be something that comes with (or at least which will screw into) a decent shutter as the light will be strong so I need to be able go down to a 250th at least. I guess I could use a sacrificial filter instead, but still sand plus $1000 lens does worry me a bit so I'd prefer to buy some (quasi-disposable) glass for the trip.

Many thanks

David.

Mark Woods
21-Oct-2010, 11:29
Hello David,

Why don't you put a UV filter on the front, take a couple and treat them as expendables and toss them when they're blasted. BTW, you may like the diffusion effect of the blasted UV filters and decide it's your new "look." ;-)

GPS
21-Oct-2010, 11:35
I am going to Namibia next year, and plan to take my Arca 5x4. The problem is that there is a lot of sand where I'll be, and the wind blows. So there is, I suspect, significant danger of sandblasting the lens.

Many thanks

David.

The sand will not only blast your lens but the whole camera too. Chances are it will enter whatever movable mechanical part of it. How about a cheap camera (to be sandblasted) too? ;)

domaz
21-Oct-2010, 11:45
Your shutter could be the worse issue if it starts to get in there. Sand in the timing gears of a shutter would probably mean no more shutter.

jp
21-Oct-2010, 12:16
The optar and ektar lenses that come with speed graphics are high quality and cheap, then figure in a CLA before use. Their downside might be that less coverage for extreme movements. Some of the older speeds came with zeiss tessars which might be pretty inexpensive and high quality too. For modern stuff, Fuji 135 5.6 is also a quality choice. For prices of these choices you could have a spare sealed away. And keep it on a lensboard so you don't have to introduce sand/dust separating the cells.

Stephane
21-Oct-2010, 12:51
Been to Namibia some years back, visiting the diamond area. It is one of the most windy region on Earth (along the coast, that is). The wind blows the sand, while heavier diamonds accumulated. 100 to 200 years ago, you go on a full moon and pick the shiny bits off the ground. Bushmen thought they were gifts from gods and used them as arrow heads.
It's a beautiful place, definitely, where you might encounter the one-legged barman with his blind three-legged dog. Weird things in the desert sometimes!

mdm
21-Oct-2010, 12:52
I think you may find that the photo opportunities will justify the use of your 110xl. What is the point in having such a nice lens and not using it in a fantastic place. Just look after it.

David

tbeaman
21-Oct-2010, 16:41
The instinct is more than understandable, but I second the filter notion. Seems a shame to sacrifice any lens, and shun another.

Acheron Photography
22-Oct-2010, 00:20
Thanks all for your advice. I'll consider the XL plus filter idea certainly but something like an optar has a lot to recommend it...

David

Ash
22-Oct-2010, 02:34
look at some way of covering the main parts of the camera with material when you don't need access, to minimise potential sand uptake

Ivan J. Eberle
22-Oct-2010, 08:22
Or, you might instead take a folding camera with a modern lens that closes up inside in order to deploy it rapidly and not get so much exposure to grit?

I have a Meridian 45CE with a 135mm f/5.6 Caltar II-N (Rodenstock Sironar N) that folds up and has a fair amount of room for movements, including back tilts and swings. Like a Linhof Technica it also rangefinder focuses, which greatly speeds things up and allows it's use in hand-held press mode. In bright conditions, I easily handhold to 1/15s when it's not too windy. This camera actually folds up with the 210mm f/5.6 Sironar N/Caltar IIN on a slightly recessed board (though I don't have the Kalart set for it).

halberstadt
25-Oct-2010, 06:33
How about a Rodenstock 127mm Ysaron for Polaroid. The last one I got I think was in excellent condition and costed about $30. Not lots of coverage, but perhaps you can put your fancy lens in a ziplock bag and use the cheapie for all the times the sand is blowing, and the nice lens the rest of the trip?

Brian C. Miller
25-Oct-2010, 15:58
You might do what I did for my 6x7. I created a rain coat for it, which attached mainly to the lens shade. I would make a camera garment to keep the dust at bay, and leave some finger room for working the shutter. A lens hood that takes a filter would be really good.

Before you go, visit someplace locally that is dusty, and make sure that whatever you come up with woks well there.

halberstadt
12-Nov-2010, 15:05
Hey, I was testing some lenses to share with you all on this very topic when I got rousted by a security guard. I had the 127mm Ysarex, 135mm Optar, and 150mm Sironar ready for testing and .... well if you are interested, check out the story in my local paper here: http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7785&Itemid=10

Brian C. Miller
12-Nov-2010, 17:07
Wow! Bored $7/hr security guards are horrible to deal with. Did you tell him that you were just persuing a hobby?? I'm glad everything got sorted out, and the Navy reminded everybody who owns what.

halberstadt
13-Nov-2010, 07:40
Wow! Bored $7/hr security guards are horrible to deal with. Did you tell him that you were just persuing a hobby?? I'm glad everything got sorted out, and the Navy reminded everybody who owns what.

I told him I was on public property....this sort of thing happens all the time. The bigger your gear, the more attention you draw. But I was really glad to see that this one ended in a victory for photographers. Sorry I don't have the lens test results to share here though.....

okto
16-Nov-2010, 10:55
I have three suggestions for you:
1. Gaffer tape
2. Gaffer tape
3. Gaffer tape

Tape up any part of the camera/lens/shutter you think dust and grit could get into. Seal your filter onto the lens with it, tape around the edge of the lens board. Not much you can do about the gap between rear standard and focusing screen/film holder, I suppose.
Maybe pick up a Grafmatic or two. Load them in your hotel room and tape them up, so you won't have to change film holders quite so often. I suspect less dust will get onto your film that way, too.

I didn't see if you said what camera you were taking, but I second the recommendation to use a press camera. Folding it up will significantly decrease the time the lens sones exposed to windy death.

As for lenses, you might want to look at the Tominons from the Polaroid MP-4. They're cheap as old chips, come in Prontor or Copal shutters, and you can get them as wide as 75mm. They are designs optimized for macro work, but my 114/4.5 Tominon is no slouch even at infinity. They are also tiny, which may be an advantage when you're havng to carry everything with you.

Good luck! I hope you will share your images with us when you get back, it sounds like it's going to be amazing.