PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss M-Line Two / Manfrotto 410.

postman
20-Oct-2010, 22:47
I posted this on GetDPI too.

I have a Manfrotto 405 geared head. This head has a quick release plate, on top of that I have put the short clamp that comes with the M-Line Two. These 2 together do not offer enough clearance to allow the back standard of the M-Line Two to move freely. I use the 405 with an M-Monolith with no problem, but the rear standard of the Monolith works a little differently. I am not a fan of sticking lots of bits between my camera and the tripod. So my question!!!

What is the most efficient way of getting the additional height needed to have the rear standard move freely? Efficiency being defined as : least number of components, lowest price.

darr
21-Oct-2010, 05:00
I sympathize with you! I did notice the rear standard of this model as being very different from my other Arcas. When I had first received this camera, I placed it on top of my large studio Gitzo Rational 4 head and immediately realized it was not going to work. So I then tried it on my Really Right Stuff BH-55 with screw knob clamp, and it operates just fine. I use my M-Line 2 for mostly studio macro shots, so it sits on top of a 40cm rail and not the smaller rail that came with it.

I am not familiar with your tripod system, but I can see from a web photo of it, that the knobs would be a problem for rear standard clearance. You might want to talk with Manfrotto, and/or send Arca Swiss an email (arcaswiss@aol.com) for suggestions. I do not know who you purchased the camera from, but here is a list of Arca dealers to speak with as well:

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Media/DealerList.pdf

It is a fabulous camera, so if you have to put some $ into a different tripod head, I would do it.

Darr