PDA

View Full Version : Putting film back into foil pouch

Bob Kerner
20-Oct-2010, 16:37
I'm "returning" to LF after a long hiatus. I don't have any of my original gear or empty film boxes, just a simple 4x5 pin hole box and a couple of film holders. How can I offload the holders and transport to the lab without the benefit of empty boxes?

I've searched the forums here and the net and one of the suggestions is to pull the unexposed sheets out of their foil packet and put the exposed sheets into the foil. Make sense, but the foil packet by itself won't be light-tight, so how do I get it to the lab?

Also, there's some discussion that the foil and/ or box will scratch the emulsion. I used to keep my unexposed & exposed film in empty boxes outside the foil packet and never had an issue. Is it a realistic concern or just 'net gossip?

Once I hit the lab with the first batch I'll ask them for some empty boxes, just need a temporary solution for the first batch.

Thanks
Bob

BetterSense
20-Oct-2010, 16:56
I've wrapped film in regular old aluminum foil before. Just fold it over good so that the light can't get in. It's very compact and anti-static.

BrianShaw
21-Oct-2010, 06:49
I'm a tad skeptical about wrapping with tin foil. Mostly because if there is a leak you won't know it until you're out of hte dark room or changing bag an din the light.

When caught without an empty box I tend to leave the film in the holders and let the lab take the film out prior to developing. That works when the lab is someone you know and trust, but not such a good idea for mail order, etc.

Regarding fim scratching in boxes... I (personally) think it is just 'net gossip, or the concern of some much more highly cautious photograhers than I. I've never had scratches attributable to transporting film in boxes. Since I often transport small numbers of sheets in 50 or 100 sheet boxes, I'd expect to have seen some scratches if it were a realistic concern. Others might have different experiences, though.

Frank Petronio
21-Oct-2010, 08:52
Offer us postage and we'll send you a couple of extra boxes, or ask the lab for some.

Last month some guy was complaining about how he sent film to a lab in an envelope and the lab opened the envelope. The vast majority of people called him dumb for doing that but he blaming the poor lab - who gave him free film and apologized profusely. It's a stupid thing to do. Get yourself a couple triple film boxes like all the other serious photographers.

Brian Ellis
21-Oct-2010, 08:55
Couldn't you just buy a 10-sheet box, expose 10 sheets, and send the box and film to the lab? Then ask the lab for a larger box, which you say you plan to do once you get the first box to the lab?

BrianShaw
21-Oct-2010, 09:06
Couldn't you just buy a 10-sheet box, expose 10 sheets, and send the box and film to the lab? Then ask the lab for a larger box, which you say you plan to do once you get the first box to the lab?

:) Good solution if OP owns 5 holders. :)

Wally
21-Oct-2010, 09:18
Can someone in NYC offer this guy a 3-part box?

Bob Kerner
21-Oct-2010, 09:27
Thanks everyone. I'll be at the lab tomorrow and will ask for an empty box prior to shooting. I understand the use of empties for transport; I was just looking to see if there was a short term solution for my first few sheets. The foils idea sounds dicey.

Since I'm just getting back into this, I didn't want to buy multiple boxes of film just to have empties. My local shop doesn't even sell 4x5 film so I have to mail order etc. just to get box. But the box sounds like the best solution so I'll go find one.

bob

BradS
21-Oct-2010, 10:17
Solution #1:
buy two ten sheet boxes. Open them both. Remove the packet of film from one and put it in the other. Now you have all the fresh film in one box and an empty box to receive your exposed sheets!

Solution #2: ask for a box. many of us have extras that we'd be happy to share. PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one.

BradS
21-Oct-2010, 10:24
Regarding film scratching in boxes... I (personally) think it is just 'net gossip, or the hyper inflated concern of some much more highly cautious photographers than I. I've never had scratches attributable to transporting film in boxes.

Something upon which we agree....:)

tbeaman
21-Oct-2010, 16:31
I've only ever taken one sheet of film to the lab, and when I did, I just brought the loaded film holder. Nobody seemed surprised and nothing was said about it.