PDA

View Full Version : Rodagon R

Roger Vadim
20-Oct-2010, 14:40
Hi everybody!

I just acquired a nice Rodenstock Rodagon R 210mm 5.6 enlarging lens for my Durst 138.

I was searching the web but couldn't find anything on the "R" designation of this lens. the manufacturing date points to around 1966 and the built quality is great, glass is pristine. I can't use it at the moment because the lens thread is 58 mm and I am in need of a LAPLA 58 to use it on the Durst.

My question is: is it worthwhile to hunt for one of those scarce LAPLA 58 or is this a special purpose lens (1:1?). I wanted to replace my somehow fogged old silver Componon 210 which fortunately has a M39 thread.

Any input welcome.

Cheers, Michael

PS: Wouldn't it a great idea to put together a list of all the different enlarging lenses with their virtues and habits?

dentkimterry
20-Oct-2010, 16:40
Not sure what the R designation means, maybe for Reproduction?

As far as the Lapla 58 goes do what I did. Bought a 39mm Lapla and had the hole bored out to a larger size, in my case 60mm for my Componon 210mm. Then I had to find a retaining ring, almost as hard as finding the right Lapla! 58mm should be easier. Heck, you could break the glass out of a 58mm UV filter and use that.

Terry

ic-racer
20-Oct-2010, 19:34
Yes that "R" is a 1:1 lens. I use a 210mm (not that one) for 8x10 1:1. Its nice because the head is not so far out of reach.

I'd just look for another 210 Componon. I think that when I got mine from e-bay there were a number of choices in various conditions. Much easier (and perhaps cheaper) than finding the Lapla 58.

3e8
20-Oct-2010, 20:26
Yes that "R" is a 1:1 lens. I use a 210mm (not that one) for 8x10 1:1. Its nice because the head is not so far out of reach.

What 210 are you using that can cover 8x10? What size enlargements are you doing?

I ask primarily since I just got a beseler 45 mcrx to convert to an 8x10 enlarger. The lensboard is so small that only repro lenses will fit. I have a 300mm Rodenstock, but wider would be nicer too.

Roger Vadim
21-Oct-2010, 01:53
Oh Boy, that was what I suspected. I should ask you guys here before buing.

Well, it didn't cost an arm and a leg, and is as I said a really beatifully made lens. I might try to make a lensboard for it and use it as a macro lens on my Speed Graphic.

How well does it behave in aspect ratios like 2:1 or even 4:1?

Thanks for the input! Cheers, Michael

Arne Croell
21-Oct-2010, 05:58
What 210 are you using that can cover 8x10? What size enlargements are you doing?

I ask primarily since I just got a beseler 45 mcrx to convert to an 8x10 enlarger. The lensboard is so small that only repro lenses will fit. I have a 300mm Rodenstock, but wider would be nicer too.

Don't forget, at 1:1 the image circle is twice as large than at infinity! Shouldn't be a problem for a 210 to cover 8x10 that way.

erie patsellis
21-Oct-2010, 07:12
Michael, my experience with older componons has been that all the fogging can be gotten to with careful disassembly with a spanner. a good cleaning and reassembly and it should be good for a few more decades. You may get lucky and the majority of it is on the accessible parts of the front and rear cells by unscrewing them.

Roger Vadim
21-Oct-2010, 12:10
Erie: already did that... And a spanner wrench is long on my whish list. Maybe it's time to get one and clean this half a dozen lenses which are liyng around since I developed a serious GAS syndrome for enlarging lenses ;)

erie patsellis
21-Oct-2010, 14:15
In a pinch (no pun intended) a small pair of scissors or smaller needle nose pliers will often work as well.

John Schneider
21-Oct-2010, 14:32
I think I may have a spare Lapla 58 lying around, or a Durst board that SK Grimes bored out and threaded to M58. I'll check tonight...

ic-racer
21-Oct-2010, 18:20
I'd jump on the board that John has!

I'd think that up to 16x20 or so that "R" lens should perform fine. Do you have the fancy Peak/Omega focuser (that can see the edges). What will happen is that the field will start to get curved as you go to bigger magnification ratios with that lens. Just check the center and edges and stop down enough.

Roger Vadim
22-Oct-2010, 02:27
John: that sounds great! I would be definately be in, just to test that beauty!
Ic's comments are always very apreciated. No fancy focuser though, just that always darkening Patterson ...

Lets see what this lens has got to do in the future...

Roger Vadim
19-Nov-2010, 12:19
Better late than never, I thought I keep you updated on my quest for a LAPLA 58: Well, I found a nice and clean 210mm Rodagon which came with a Durst 58mm lensboard! and this for 12 Euro plus shipping!! Sometimes evilbay is your friend.

This is great, now I can test the performance of the "R" lens against the normal Rodagon.
I keep you updated once the test is done. But I suspect IC racer iis right: up to say 16 x 20 I wont see a great difference...

My attempt to clean my copy of the 210mm silver Componon destroyed this beauty... Unscrewing all the elements all the blades came loose, impossible for me to get it together... well one lost one gain I suppose

Thanks for all your help and insight!

ic-racer
19-Nov-2010, 17:50
What are you going to do with the old silver componon?

Roger Vadim
20-Nov-2010, 05:22
IC, I don't know, I thought of using it as a loupe, but it's to heavy for that... and it is so well build I can't really justify it selling it - over here in germany they go for 15 - 30 euros, depending on the condition. So this one, broken, will score a tenner...

Any suggestions?

EdWorkman
20-Nov-2010, 10:30
I have a Fujinon 180 that I use for mostly 6x17, but also 8x10.
It vignettes at near 1:1 [yes well why do I "enlarge"-never mind]
So I built a shim to raise the light, found it was too high usually so I cut it 1/3-2/3 for more adjustment. I don't really use it all that much, even for 1:1.05 8x10 enlarging, but it solves a problem now and again. I also have the beselar 240 but don't use it account the distance above the baseboard. It is, albeit f9, surprisingly bright .

David Phillips
11-Dec-2010, 10:35
Hi everybody!

I just acquired a nice Rodenstock Rodagon R 210mm 5.6 enlarging lens for my Durst 138.

I was searching the web but couldn't find anything on the "R" designation of this lens. the manufacturing date points to around 1966 and the built quality is great, glass is pristine. I can't use it at the moment because the lens thread is 58 mm and I am in need of a LAPLA 58 to use it on the Durst.

My question is: is it worthwhile to hunt for one of those scarce LAPLA 58 or is this a special purpose lens (1:1?). I wanted to replace my somehow fogged old silver Componon 210 which fortunately has a M39 thread.

Any input welcome.

Cheers, Michael

PS: Wouldn't it a great idea to put together a list of all the different enlarging lenses with their virtues and habits?

Michael,
Here's one for you. I use an Apo El Nikor 210 mm on my 8X10 enlargers, (an 1800 Durst and 8X10 Saltzman and it covers 8X10 negatives perfectly. David Phillips