PDA

View Full Version : Fidelity holder

Shigehiro Ishii
27-Dec-1998, 10:08
Does anyone own Fidelity 11x14 film holders ? I've just bought 4 holders from ADORAMA and found the fact that the flap area do esn't set properly. The cloth-bonding part seems fatter than it should be. The a rea collapse a liitle bit When I pinch. The holder is engraved "MEDICAL HOLDER". Is this for usual film holder for 11x14 sheet films ? Anyway it doesn't look like any other Fidelity holders I'm using. Please give me advise.

Micah Marty
30-Dec-1998, 16:05
Yes, "Medical Holder" is stamped on all current Fidelity 11x14 holders; the hosp ital market in the US is huge and I suspect Fidelity can charge its institutiona l customers much higher prices if the holders are sold as custom-made for medica l use.

As far as the the cloth/flap problem is concerned: no, this isn't normal. The fl aps and tape should be as snug as with Fidelity's smaller holders. If you were i n the US, I'd recommend calling Fidelity and seeing if they'll do an exchange wi th you from the factory, as Adorama's customer service is often weak; only if Fi delity won't help would I go back to Adorama. The problem with getting an exchan ge from Adorama is that they don't sell very many 11x14 holders, and if Adorama sends you replacements they could likely be from the same batch from the factory --and may have the same defect.

However, because you're in Japan and any exchange would be difficult and expensi ve, I would try to make an exposure with the loosest of the film holders (being careful not to scuff the holder during insertion, so it still looks like new) an d see if it has problems with fit or with light leaks. If it looks like there's a problem or even the potential for a problem, I'm afraid you'll have to call Fi delity or Adorama and work on an exchange. Good luck, and let me know if you can 't track down contact numbers for Fidelity; I'll try to find something.