PDA

View Full Version : Full Matt, suede finish B&W portrait paper

asmith
19-Oct-2010, 22:37
Would be interested in your experience and recommendations for a B&W fiber-based, double weight variable contrast (or graded) paper to use for printing portraits.

More specifically, I am wanting a heavy FB paper with a no-sheen, flat matte having the finish and texture of suede or fine grit sand paper.

If no such paper is now on the market, could a dull matte paper be employed with an at-home manual application of a suede/sand paper gritty finish matting agent, something with a lot of tooth to the finish, but not like art paper used for water color painting.

Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks.

Pawlowski6132
20-Oct-2010, 18:07
I use (and like) Ilford VC FB WT.

Mark Sampson
20-Oct-2010, 18:59
You can do what the portrait/wedding studios did; spray the finished print with lacquer. Makes a nice dull surface. I can't remember the brand name but good photo stores used to carry it.

jeroldharter
20-Oct-2010, 19:55
Foma makes a nice warm-tone paper with a velvet finish. Can't remember the model number but Freestyle has it. The surface does feel like fine sand paper.

bob carnie
21-Oct-2010, 06:08
Ilford MG4 matte , by itself is not a great look, but when you add bleach sepia and selenium it is a very beautiful paper.

Philippe Grunchec
21-Oct-2010, 08:01
The Foma paper is 532 (cream base) or 542 (chamois base) Nature.

Jay DeFehr
21-Oct-2010, 11:33
I like Slavich Bromoportrait silk. It has a kind of textile surface, and a nice, warm tone.

Jimi
21-Oct-2010, 14:08
Fomabrom Variant IV 123 - according to Foma this has a semimatt velvety surface.
I've never tried it so I can't say from experience.

Another paper that I have used and really like is the Fomabrom Variant III in its matt version, 112. There is also a graded version of this, which is as good.

Only downside is the need for dark red safelight.