PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 3010==> Which Agitator Base and Where to buy?

l2oBiN
19-Oct-2010, 12:38
Looking for agitator agitator base for the Jobo 3010. I know of uniroller, but people said it does not make a full rotation of the 3010 on it. To resolve this it needs to have the bidirectional controller disabled..?? Is this easy to do?

Besides the uniroller, is there other options? What are they and where to buy them? (I am in Sweden)

gbr1000
19-Oct-2010, 17:25
I have a Beseler Color Drum that was found on E-Bay. Works great and it goes in one direction

Sirius Glass
19-Oct-2010, 17:30
See my classified ad for tanks, roller motor and timer. If you are interested, make an offer for what you want.

Steve

jeroldharter
19-Oct-2010, 19:24
This is useful information about Unicolor reversing rollers from this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=58911&highlight=unicolor

"The tip was to open the base, remove the lever that causes the reversing switch to flip, remove the switch and relocate it to the lower outside edge of the housing along the side. The wires reach, so no rewiring is required. All you need is a small file or Dremel to cut out 3 sides of a small rectangle of plastic from the housing that will alow the switch mechanism to fit. When you replace the metal bottom of the base, it holds the switch firmly in place.

Now I manually flip the switch every 30 seconds during development. "

venchka
20-Oct-2010, 06:05
I bought a Uniroller base for $18. It reversed. It made nice negatives with a 2553 tank and a 3010 drum. The reverse mechanism quit working. "Oh no!" It still makes nice negatives.
I got a Beseler base for free with a free darkroom. It doesn't reverse. It makes nice negatives too.
By the way, when the Uniroller was reversing I made careful observations of the action with the 3010 drum. With the lid off and different color wash cloths in each hole and left to run for 10 minutes, my average developer time, I observed:
1. Starting with one cylinder at B.D.C. (bottom dead center) and two top cylinders horizontal, the Uniroller reversed when each of the top cylinders got to B.D.C. In other words, all cylinders were low enough to fill with developer.
2. During the course of the 10 minutes, the drum walked on the rollers until the original bottom cylinder was on top and vice versa. All cylinders had a chance to be on the bottom when the motor reversed.
Reversing motors and flipping drums may make you feel better. My negatives say, "Much ado about nothing."
I prefer the Beseler base with it's leveling foot for either the 3010 or 2553. I set the foot so the mouth is slightly high. No dribbles and the drum/tank won't walk off the base and fall in the sink.
A recent sample of one way rotation. 3010 drum on Beseler base for 7:45 minutes.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/229932-2/Glenwood-1.jpg

Good luck.

l2oBiN
20-Oct-2010, 11:41
It looks spotless Wayne! I need a motor base ...

venchka
20-Oct-2010, 11:44
Thanks. I really like the ones I use. I am carefull to find film+developer+temperature values around 10 minutes (or more) to make sure that everything has a chance to soak and smooth out. That means Xtol 1:3 and as close to 68F/20C as I can get.

One more to show even development.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/203844-1/Pond+Fog+Pano001.jpg

ic-racer
20-Oct-2010, 17:03
Cpp2 :)

l2oBiN
21-Oct-2010, 00:53
Anyone willing to ship to Europe?

venchka
21-Oct-2010, 05:56
They are/were made in Europe. They should already be there.

l2oBiN
21-Oct-2010, 13:42
Well here can I buy a motor base in Europe?

venchka
21-Oct-2010, 13:51
Sorry. I thought you meant a Jobo CPP whatever.
Postage to Europe will cost 2-3 times what the base sells for in the USA.

jeroldharter
21-Oct-2010, 20:03
"The tip was to open the base, remove the lever that causes the reversing switch to flip, remove the switch and relocate it to the lower outside edge of the housing along the side. The wires reach, so no rewiring is required. All you need is a small file or Dremel to cut out 3 sides of a small rectangle of plastic from the housing that will alow the switch mechanism to fit. When you replace the metal bottom of the base, it holds the switch firmly in place.

Now I manually flip the switch every 30 seconds during development. "

I had a Unicolor drum roller sitting around and I finally got around to trying this. Removing the screws to release the switch was awkward but I managed. The dremel work was primitive. But it works! Took me about 20 minutes and just modest cursing.

Inside is a switch that looks identical to the on/off switch. It gets pushed on/off (forward/backward) by a paddle attached to the axle on the rollers. The post quoted above says to remove a paddle but I left it there. Does not seem to be a problem and is much easier to leave it in place. The switch has 2 screws that are awkwardly placed. I removed them with needle-nose pliers. The wires have just enough length so that the switch can be moved to the outer wall of the case. I put the dremel on slow speed and ground some of the plastic shell to make room for the switch. Once I had enough clearance, I screwed the metal base plate back on and fired it up.

l2oBiN
23-Oct-2010, 12:33
bump

l2oBiN
29-Oct-2010, 18:14
bump

Jimi
30-Oct-2010, 00:44
http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-CODRUM-205-CIBA-DEVELOPEING-DRUM-MOTOR-BASE-/300484020091?pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item45f63e477b

Or a Paterson Orbital. Or a Jobo CPE. Or a god damn tank that you hand roll on a level bench. Whatever. Search and ye shall find.

Scotty230358
30-Oct-2010, 02:10
I have yet to find a Unicolor or Bessler base that runs on 240V most up for grabs seem to run on 110V which is no good for me as I live in the UK. I'm not sure Bessler even made a 240V version.

As a stop gap I bough a Jobo 1509 manual roller - see the attached link

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/search/roller

It is quite expensive for two rollers and two plastic rods but it works. The only difficulty in using this (actually almost impossible) is filling the tank horizontally whilst rotating it. For that you need a trained octopus ;-)

Jimi
30-Oct-2010, 02:34
I've been doing 13x18 film (two sheets) in a Cibachrome tank, rolled on a level bench. I put the sheets into it and pour in the chemicals and start rolling. The Taco method works fine too, if you are using 4x5.

JamesLee
30-Oct-2010, 08:06
Cpp2 :)
Ic-racer,
Does the CPP2 works with Jobo 3005,3062,3063?
Thanks,
James

Sirius Glass
30-Oct-2010, 12:45
Ic-racer,
Does the CPP2 works with Jobo 3005,3062,3063?
Thanks,
James

Yes, yes, and yes.

Steve

l2oBiN
10-Nov-2010, 11:54
still looking

Jan Normandale
29-Nov-2011, 10:52
It looks spotless Wayne! I need a motor base ...

go to Amazon and purchase a voltage converter for a Unicolor / Beseler style base. They are about $20 - $30 depending on the motor you are converting for. Then purchase a base at the right price. Most likely the postage charges will equal the cost of the materials but you also might pay that in gas and parking if you were to drive to a photoshop.... "either way you're going to pay"