PDA

View Full Version : Arches in January

ignatiusjk
18-Oct-2010, 17:14
Has anybody been to Arches National park in January? I'm thinking of going in January but wasn't sure on what the light is like in January.Let me know.

Drew Wiley
18-Oct-2010, 18:07
I have been there in late Dec. If driving just be aware of potential snow conditions
at higher elevations, etc, and always have warm gear and extra food and water along. Light will be low-angle, crowds will be gone, daytime temp probably decently
comfortable. Accomodations in Moab should be avail year-round or you can find
camping. I think it is a wonderful time of year there, with excellent light being the trade-off for shorter days. Canyonlands and Deadhorse Point are right there too, and the road leading upriver past Castleton Valley and Fisher Towers. Check with the
forecast if you're heading way out into Canyonlands, especially on unpaved roads.
Arches itself is comparatively very accessible.

Erik Larsen
18-Oct-2010, 20:39
It's my favorite time of the year. Beautiful light, no crowds and the scenery looks the same winter or summer give or take a little snow. It can get bitingly cold if it is even slightly windy and that is the trade off for no people I guess. You could get lucky and have snow - it never gets too much snow but it is really pretty when it does show up. Moab will be deserted except for locals so hotels aren't a problem. The tiny campground in arches may or may not fill. If you get there early you should get a spot easily if you choose to camp. You should have a good time.
erik

Eric Woodbury
18-Oct-2010, 21:20
I've been in late Nov. It is gorgeous. And COLD.

evan clarke
19-Oct-2010, 09:59
I enjoyed the Castle Valley almost more than Arches last time, We were there in middle October and the landscape was spectacular. We were headed to Death Valley, decided to swing down from the freeway for a peek and stayed three days...Evan Clarke

Erik Larsen
19-Oct-2010, 20:56
I enjoyed the Castle Valley almost more than Arches last time, We were there in middle October and the landscape was spectacular. We were headed to Death Valley, decided to swing down from the freeway for a peek and stayed three days...Evan Clarke

I agree Evan about the Castle Valley/fisher tower area being as nice as Arches plus you don't have to worry about all the national park rules.
regards
erik

lonepeak
21-Oct-2010, 10:47
Great time of the year in southern Utah. Much less haze from So Cal/Phoenix and the crowds of other seasons are gone. The blue sky and sandstone are mesmerizing.

Bill Burk
21-Oct-2010, 13:16
Coincidentally I'm reading Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire right now. The imagery would be good mental prep for the trip. Maybe you can relate to Abbey as Eliot Porter did to Thoreau.

Michael Roberts
21-Oct-2010, 14:32
ignatius, I shot images 1 and 6 on the page below on Jan 2 one year. Images 3 and 4 were made later that same day down in Monument Valley. It was a good day.
http://www.wondervuimages.com/southwest.html

Harley Goldman
21-Oct-2010, 15:33
I camped there over Xmas 5 years ago. It was beautiful. Cold nights, decent days, nice light.