PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Pickard Shutters?

sully75
18-Oct-2010, 14:39
I got a broken Pickard shutter with a camera I bought. It matches the whole outfit perfectly, and also has a nice 210 lens with no shutter, so it would be great to get the whole thing working. That said I have a million projects I need to take care of.

So...is anyone using one of these successfully? Are they reasonably reliable to work with once restored?

If anyone is interested, here's a page on restoring them:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulewins/resources/tp_shutter.htm

Thanks!

Len Middleton
19-Oct-2010, 09:19
Sully75,

I presume that is a mis-spelling and you meant Packard. If you are talking about Thorton curtain shutters, please ignore the following.

They work on the time honoured principal of brute force and ignorance. They are a very basic design and generally very reliable.

If you are time constrained, unless you have a really odd ball size, you might be better to purchase another working unit used until you have time to tear down the one you have. They are generally available and the company is still in business, so you could send it to them to have it serviced.

There are a few options for you depending upon how nice that 210 lens is and how bad you want to use it.

Hope that helps,

Len

BarryS
19-Oct-2010, 10:09
I have an assortment of TP roller blind shutters. I've replaced the shutter curtain in some of them--it isn't too hard. I've also restored a few and it's fairly simple. They're reliable, but you basically get one or two shutter speeds--and they may be off from what's printed on the dial.

sully75
19-Oct-2010, 10:20
Thanks guys.

For the record, I meant Thornton Pickard shutters. A fairly strange coincidence with the names of these shutter makers...