PDA

View Full Version : Who's shooting whole plate?

dsphotog
17-Oct-2010, 22:21
I have a whole plate Century Universal camera, I'm thinking of restoring.
Are you shooting film, is film avail? or do wet plate?

Richard K.
18-Oct-2010, 06:37
I'm surprised no one has answered you so far...
UM, OK, I'm shooting WP (also a couple of other formats) and I use film. FP4+ and HP5+ film is readily available on the yearly Ilford run. Some dealers try to keep stock as well. Here in Canada, Rob Skeoch

http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp?WebsiteID=1507&theIF=%2Fud6.asp%3FWebsiteID%3D1507

currently has stock. A truly lovely format and would be the last one I would give up.

Richard Rankin
18-Oct-2010, 06:45
I'm shooting film. View Camera Store did have a few boxes. You can also sign up with Fred Newman there and he will email you when it is time to place an order in the yearly Ilford Run. If you just need a few sheets to test it, I'm happy to send you a few sheets of FP4, which is the only film I have in wp.

Midwest Photo Exchange did have some HP5 but no FP4.

Or you could sell me the camera....

Cheers,
Richard

rjmeyer314
18-Oct-2010, 06:58
I shoot whole plate from time to time. I have a view camera of unknown make that I picked up at a flea market in Pittsburgh 30 years ago, and 6 film holders from the Pittsburgh Photo Exchange. The film I'm shooting now is Lucky Film from China. It was advertised on Ebay for a while, but I haven't seen it lately. The only place I know of selling it is the Canadian place mentioned by one the of other responders. I mounted a 5x7 film back on the camera, and use it more in that format. I also shoot half plate film. That's available from Mr. Cad in the UK.

Oren Grad
18-Oct-2010, 08:41
I've been shooting WP since 1998. I've gotten film from a variety of sources, but in recent years have been using HP5 Plus obtained through the annual Ilford special order.

Jim Galli
18-Oct-2010, 09:12
I actually shoot quite a lot. Film. I've solved the availability problem with long rolls of aerial recon B/W. Of course it is all out of date now and getting costlier than a few years back. You have to make 2 cuts in the dark before you load and I won't tell you that there isn't a price in dust to pay in all that extra handling no matter how clean the space.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Oct-2010, 09:15
When I manage to buy film I do use WP, but my foresight is short and planning skills poor. Now and then I cut film down, but usually can't be bothered. I do use WP in alt processes much more frequently.

Peter Gomena
18-Oct-2010, 12:16
I've been using a WP camera for several months now. I bought my first batch of film from Rob Skeoch and had no trouble getting it mailed here from Canada. I bought another batch through Glazer's in Seattle. They had it drop-shipped directly from their distributor. I think I ordered from Rob in February or March, and from Glazer's in June or July and had no trouble getting it. FP4+ in both cases. I love the format. You are likely to find that locating film holders is the most difficult part of the restoration process.

Peter Gomena

David Karp
18-Oct-2010, 21:37
I use it too. Jim Galli sold me an Improved Seneca WP camera and some holders, and that was it for me. I really like the format. (Later, he sold me a 5x7 reducing back for it - I like that format too. Not sure what he has in store for me next! :) )

I use HP5+ and some FP4+ too. I got my first boxes from forum members, and since then have purchased WP film from the annual Ilford run when I need more.

Hugo Zhang
18-Oct-2010, 21:54
I use one with Tmax400 film.

Chauncey Walden
19-Oct-2010, 08:26
I use FP4+, HP5+, TMAX 400, Wephota NP15 (Efke 25), and ERA 100 (cut down from 7x17). A great format.

Andrew Plume
20-Oct-2010, 08:32
I hope to join the wp club shortly

I've a Lancaster wp and a London Stereoscopic Co tailboard that both use the old book film holders, which I find fairly problematic - so I'm on the look out for something more modern

As to decent modern film holders, I've recently picked up four really good used ones from the auction site - at reasonable cost, so I've probably tackled the tricky point already

I'm potentially interested in the new wp cameras made by Argentum - anyone on here any experience with either that camera or the Company's other products? If so, it would be good to have some info etc

regards

andrew

Jimi
20-Oct-2010, 12:59
@Andrew: Yes, I have an Argentum 5x7. In short, it's a great little camera. Good quality of the workmanship. The people working at Argentum are very nice and easygoing.

brianam
20-Oct-2010, 14:23
Andrew, there are also WP expansion backs available for the early Toyo field (gray metal) and the Rittreck 5x7. I have both cameras. Don't need them both, so my Rittreck kit is going up for sale soon. I don't have a WP back for that one, but do know where you could source one.

If you're going to get serious about WP, you're right that a dedicated camera is probably best. Chamonix and Argentum both look good.

Sal Santamaura
20-Oct-2010, 16:34
Who's shooting whole plate?...Are you shooting film, is film avail?...I am:

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007/04/more-about-ebony-sv-wholeplate_09.html

Film. I've tried TMY-2, FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus, settling on the latter exclusively. I plan ahead and purchase during Ilford's annual special sizes ordering periods.

dwross
20-Oct-2010, 19:09
WP silver gelatin dry plate with a hundred year old Century/ variety of lenses, old and new.

davidjohnlotto
20-Oct-2010, 23:49
I use an Empire state whole plate camera for Wet- plate work. I've used all formats up to 12x20 and this is my current favorite. Love the size ...not too big- not too small.

Andrew Plume
21-Oct-2010, 05:28
@Andrew: Yes, I have an Argentum 5x7. In short, it's a great little camera. Good quality of the workmanship. The people working at Argentum are very nice and easygoing.

Hi Jimi - many thx for your post - good to hear what you've had to say

regards

andrew

Andrew Plume
21-Oct-2010, 05:32
Andrew, there are also WP expansion backs available for the early Toyo field (gray metal) and the Rittreck 5x7. I have both cameras. Don't need them both, so my Rittreck kit is going up for sale soon. I don't have a WP back for that one, but do know where you could source one.

If you're going to get serious about WP, you're right that a dedicated camera is probably best. Chamonix and Argentum both look good.

Thanks indeed Brian - I was already aware of the option of using both the Toyo and the Rittreck's for wp - I'm more interested in the Rittreck but long term it's probably going to be an Argentum as it'll probbaly be lighter in the field

regards

andrew

Jon Wilson
24-Oct-2010, 19:49
I have 3 WP rigs. 2 are used now. I too picked one up from Jim G. It is great for it uses the 6x6 Kodak Eastman boards. The downside it is as heavy as my V8. I have mostly Ilford film (HP5*) at present. I love the format and fortunately have the added bonus of a Durst 8x10 enlarger set up in my darkroom. Jon

Diane Maher
25-Oct-2010, 17:59
I shoot whole plate, HP5+, TMax 400, and also 5x12 and 8x10. :D

Diane

jan labij
26-Oct-2010, 08:52
H-m-m-m, maybe I'm missing out on something here. Maybe I could shuck my 8X10 and switch. I prefer the proportions of 5X7, and I'm thinking maybe whole plate is even more of the same? But bigger?

dwross
26-Oct-2010, 09:20
I was barely aware of the WP format a few years ago. Now, it's almost impossible for me to understand why it faded. There's something really perfect about its balance of aspect ratio to size. The proportions are smack dab between 8x10 and 5x7, and it frames up beautifully in 11x14.

A huge perk of the format is that the old Century cameras (at least) are amazingly lightweight. Minus a lens, the body doesn't weigh as much as my digital SLR. I'd shoot the format even with a heavier camera, but I admit, I'm drawn to the whole elegance and ease of my rig.

2 cents,
d

Scott Davis
26-Oct-2010, 12:39
I'm another whole plate fan. I've got two cameras currently that take whole plate - a Seneca "black beauty" and a Century Master studio camera. I shoot film with it- Ilford FP4+ and TMax 400. I bought up a stock of the TMax from a couple of folks who had bought more than they needed, and the FP4+ I get from the annual Ilford run. I have a little bit left of some Arista.EDU 200 that I cut down from 8x10. Great film, unfortunately they've discontinued it. I love the format for all the reasons mentioned previously. The cameras are only slightly bigger than 5x7s, but the image size is only slightly smaller than 8x10. I would definitely travel with it - I would not travel with an 8x10 or bigger (although god knows I've got the burning itch to take the 14x17 on the road).

Jim Galli
26-Oct-2010, 13:17
I have an extra whole plate back if someone would like to build a reducing back for their 8X10. I'll admit sheepishly that after owning several WP cameras I now just have a WP reducing back for my 2D 8X10. That way all my lenses are ready to go. One system, 2 backs.

Vaughn
26-Oct-2010, 13:41
Of those shooting WP (which I assume is 6.5x8.5) and are using, or have plate holders, would there be any interest in a few sets of adapters to shoot 5x7 or 4x5 plates in the WP plate holders. I also have film sheaths to fit so one could use 5x7 or 4x5 film in the WP plate holders. (adapters and sheaths are marked Eastman Kodak.)

I am not trying to sell them right here -- just curious about the demand.

Thanks, Vaughn

David Karp
26-Oct-2010, 14:12
I think the big interest would be in sheaths to hold WP in a WP plate holder.

Oren Grad
26-Oct-2010, 15:05

I think that's right. The biggest hurdle for someone on a budget wanting to try shooting film in WP size is finding usable holders. There seem to be far more vintage WP plate holders floating around than there are film sheaths to adapt them. And not everybody is into glass-plus-strawberry-jam. :)

Jim Galli
26-Oct-2010, 15:39
I think that's right. The biggest hurdle for someone on a budget wanting to try shooting film in WP size is finding usable holders. There seem to be far more vintage WP plate holders floating around than there are film sheaths to adapt them. And not everybody is into glass-plus-strawberry-jam. :)

We got so close a couple of years ago getting new modern plastic holders out of Japan. That's what would really make this format live again. All of my holders are from the 1920's except for 3 Burke and James ones I think are probably from the 1950's.

Richard Rankin
26-Oct-2010, 15:41
If someone is looking for holders, I think I have a few around I'm not using. Probably the smaller ones like for a Poco, but I can find them and measure them. I love wp format and wish I had found it years ago.
Richard

Vaughn
26-Oct-2010, 16:20

I don't remember seeing any WP sheaths, but I'll look tomorrow.

The reducers I have would suit someone who was a WP plate set-up who was making their own jellied glass in various sizes.

Roger Thoms
26-Oct-2010, 16:34
I'm close but lack holders for my Seneca. Maybe when I go back to work (which will be soon I hope) I'll buy a couple of new wooden ones. I'll be shooting film. I was able to get Tmax 400 from Glazers and HP5 from Fred at the View Camera Store a while back.

Roger

dwross
26-Oct-2010, 16:47
Vaughn,
As generous as always! Having reducing inserts for large plate holders is a real boon for testing dry plates. I always coat a half dozen 4x5's along with the bigger plates, especially if I'm trying out a new emulsion or camera/lens. If anyone is thinking about making dry plates someday, you should take Vaughn up on his offer.

There's no argument that having new WP holders available would be great, but while we're waiting there are still options. Because of my personal workflow, I'm very happy that plate holders are as (or more) available as film holders. But, I do shoot WP film on occasion. It doesn't have to be anywhere as complicated or messy as strawberry jam.

Cut 4-ply mat board (good quality and very flat) to fit inside a WP plate holder and then put small pieces of double-sided adhesive tape in each corner. Cut up as few or as many as you want to 'load' with film. Line them up in the darkroom with a box of film ready. Go dark. One by one, attach a sheet of film to a mat board. The film/board sandwich goes in a plate holder just like a glass plate. I actually find the whole process easier than trying to guide film into those fiddling narrow channels.

An added bonus is that with a film changing bag, you can get by with owning just one plate holder. Have the unexposed film-boards in one box, and another box for the exposed film (don't get them confused :) ). Working in a changing bag, it's far, far easier to lift out and replace a film-board than it is to unload and reload film in a regular film holder.

Denise

David Karp
26-Oct-2010, 16:48
I meant to say "WP film in a WP plate holder" but everyone seems to have gotten my meaning.

Jim: Those holders were going to come from Fotoman in China, but unfortunately, that fizzled out. It was a big disappointment.

Sal Santamaura
26-Oct-2010, 17:05
...Those holders were going to come from Fotoman in China, but unfortunately, that fizzled out. It was a big disappointment.Having evaluated the prototype Fotoman holder, I wasn't too disappointed when that project fell apart. I'm much happier with Chamonix WP holders:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/holders.html

They're lighter weight, built with greater precision, have dual light traps (so immune to leaks through the dark slide slots) and are not much more expensive. Really beautiful, too. :)

Roger Thoms
26-Oct-2010, 17:06
Vaughn,
As generous as always! Having reducing inserts for large plate holders is a real boon for testing dry plates. I always coat a half dozen 4x5's along with the bigger plates, especially if I'm trying out a new emulsion or camera/lens. If anyone is thinking about making dry plates someday, you should take Vaughn up on his offer.

There's no argument that having new WP holders available would be great, but while we're waiting there are still options. Because of my personal workflow, I'm very happy that plate holders are as (or more) available as film holders. But, I do shoot WP film on occasion. It doesn't have to be anywhere as complicated or messy as strawberry jam.

Cut 4-ply mat board (good quality and very flat) to fit inside a WP plate holder and then put small pieces of double-sided adhesive tape in each corner. Cut up as few or as many as you want to 'load' with film. Line them up in the darkroom with a box of film ready. Go dark. One by one, attach a sheet of film to a mat board. The film/board sandwich goes in a plate holder just like a glass plate. I actually find the whole process easier than trying to guide film into those fiddling narrow channels.

An added bonus is that with a film changing bag, you can get by with owning just one plate holder. Have the unexposed film-boards in one box, and another box for the exposed film (don't get them confused :) ). Working in a changing bag, it's far, far easier to lift out and replace a film-board than it is to unload and reload film in a regular film holder.

Denise

Very interesting as I do have a couple of plate holders and I have lots of 4 ply mat board.

What kind of double sided tape do you use?

Roger

dwross
26-Oct-2010, 17:57
Roger,

Scotch Photo & Document Mounting Tape. The kind with release paper on one side. I pull off about a 6-inch strip and stick one end to the shelf above my work surface, and cut off ~1/4-inch pieces with sharp embroidery scissors. After the all the pieces are on, I pull off the paper with tweezers.

When I'm ready to develop the film, I pull it off the mat board. Enough paper lint stays on the tape to prevent problems with having something sticky in back. Still, I process one sheet at a time. I don't know how it would work to try to interleave a lot of sheets at a time in the trays. After the film is dry it's very easy pull off the tape. Only one time have I had a piece come off the back of the film during processing. But still, I keep my eyes open for the possibility. I imagine tape schmutz could cause problems.

Sal: The Chamonix holders really are gorgeous. Thanks for the link.

David Karp
26-Oct-2010, 19:29
Having evaluated the prototype Fotoman holder, I wasn't too disappointed when that project fell apart.

Hi Sal,

I guess it was the promise of reasonably priced plastic holders that was exciting. It is too bad that they did not work out.

Roger Thoms
6-Nov-2010, 00:35
Roger,

Scotch Photo & Document Mounting Tape. The kind with release paper on one side. I pull off about a 6-inch strip and stick one end to the shelf above my work surface, and cut off ~1/4-inch pieces with sharp embroidery scissors. After the all the pieces are on, I pull off the paper with tweezers.

When I'm ready to develop the film, I pull it off the mat board. Enough paper lint stays on the tape to prevent problems with having something sticky in back. Still, I process one sheet at a time. I don't know how it would work to try to interleave a lot of sheets at a time in the trays. After the film is dry it's very easy pull off the tape. Only one time have I had a piece come off the back of the film during processing. But still, I keep my eyes open for the possibility. I imagine tape schmutz could cause problems.

Sal: The Chamonix holders really are gorgeous. Thanks for the link.

Hey dwross thanks for the info.

On closer inspection my 2 plate holders both had light leaks. I have the light traps on one holder successfully disassembled. It looks like moths have eaten holes in the felt. I have obtained new felt and backing plastic on top of the springs, plus hide glue for the reassembly which I hope to do tomorrow. If that goes well I'll try your method with some sheet film . Then I'll rebuilt the other holder.

Roger