PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for packshot photography

pauldemarquet
17-Oct-2010, 21:28
Hello,

I'm a young photographer and I would like to get information on the usual pricing for commercial packshot photography in the US and in Europe.
How much would be the cost per item for 1 to 10 products; over 50; over 100; over 500 ?

Thanks for your answers.

sergiob
18-Oct-2010, 14:24
I don't know pricing because I don't live in that part of the world, but try not to do "work for hire" where the client retains all the rights and you none. What I do is that I don't sell images, but instead license them for use in x countries, in x media and applications, for an x amount of time. If a client wants a buyout I sell for a pretty steep price. I am a fashion and advertising photographer and it works well for me up to the point more than 25% of my income comes from relicensing images already made. I don't know if that applies in product photography. There are very experienced photographers here that can help you best with your question.

Kirk Gittings
18-Oct-2010, 14:51
commercial packshot photography

I've never heard that term. Does it refer to something like volume tabletop photography using the same lighting setup?

Vaughn
18-Oct-2010, 19:36
It is photographing products so that the product can later be separated from the background (now) digitally -- the images then can be placed in ads, etc as needed later.

I had to look it up!

Vaughn

Curt
18-Oct-2010, 19:59
Is that similar to clipart?

Vaughn
18-Oct-2010, 20:13
Is that similar to clipart?

No -- it is high resolution product photography, it is just that the image of the product will be placed in another image/ad later.

Curt
18-Oct-2010, 21:38
http://www.studiopackshots.com/index.html

Back in the day it wasn't in the Digital day. Imagine going to sleep and waking up 30+ years later.

Jason_1622
24-Oct-2010, 23:53
I've never heard that term. Does it refer to something like volume tabletop photography using the same lighting setup?

It appears to be a euro term. I've never seen it used in Texas, and I used to assist at several photo studios that did catalog work. As others have mentioned, it appears to be tabletop knock-outs...