PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock 300/5.6 nad Toyo field?

Michal Makowski
17-Oct-2010, 04:41
I have a opportunity to buy Rodenstock Sironar - N 300/5.6 for 540$, the lens is very good condition… but this is huge piece of glass and I have Toyo field AX. Is this lens too big for my camera?
Regards
Michal

Gem Singer
17-Oct-2010, 05:39
Michael,

That lens is mounted in a Copal 3 shutter and weighs over two pounds.

Your bellows will be stretched to it's maximum with a 300mm lens.

If you are determined to use a 300 on that camera, look for a smaller, lighter weight lens such as a Nikkor 300M or a Fuji 300C.

Used ones can be purchased for about the same price as the 300 Sironar-N.

jeroldharter
17-Oct-2010, 06:56
I used to have an AX and completely agree with the above.

You can use a 300mm lens on the camera, certainly at infinity but but real close. Fully extended, I would not want that big rock on the front end. Also, front movements are not geared so I think adjusting the front standard with a 2-lb block attached would be awkward as well. The other two lenses referenced are also usable on 8x10 so you aren't giving up much by going with the physically smaller lens. I have the Nikon 300M which is very good in 4x5 and 8x10. (I do think that the big Rodenstock lens you are considering would have much better coverage on 8x10.)

Policar
17-Oct-2010, 13:24
I know this has been done but I don't know what the advantages are over using a smaller, slower lens. Maybe slightly better edge sharpness? But in theory this should be okay.

John Koehrer
18-Oct-2010, 10:53
The 300 is an 8X10 lens so there's a lot of wasted coverage on 4X5. But, you're using only the central section of the lens so it should be "sharper". You pay for that with extra weight, if you're going to use the camera in the field, you will sooner or later want to shave weight from your kit.

ic-racer
18-Oct-2010, 15:47
I know this has been done but I don't know what the advantages are over using a smaller, slower lens. Maybe slightly better edge sharpness? But in theory this should be okay.

You gain a brighter focusing image in exchange for some loss of resolution ( and a lot of additional weight).

(Look at the 300mm lenses tested here note that the two Copal 3 lenses here were outperformed by the Copal 0 and 1 lenses.) http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

I can't see buying a lens like that for 4x5 use, unless it is very cheap or you are planning on getting an 8x10 camera in the future.

Policar
18-Oct-2010, 17:29
(Look at the 300mm lenses tested here note that the two Copal 3 lenses here were outperformed by the Copal 0 and 1 lenses.) http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Right, but at working stops (f22) it's much closer and no one tested the "cult lenses" (apo-sironar-s, apo-symmar l, etc.), either. And my guess is that most people are using smaller stops at 300mm than at 150mm. But it still seems pointless, especially since longer lenses are brighter on the ground glass.

Still, I saw some 4x5 shots (mostly taken stopped way down) from a 300mm apo-sironar-s (I think) and they looked great. But I had nothing to compare against.