PDA

View Full Version : Quandary - Old Monorail Camera

IanG
16-Oct-2010, 13:17
This isn't a sales advert, I have the camera listed elsewhere and I'll list it here as well in the right section in the next day or so..

I have a post WWII De Vere monorail camera, it has 3 backs Whole Plate to 5x4, but it's heavy, fit only for a studio or copying. I'm realistic in not expecting it to sell for much.

My dilemma is it's plus sides, good set of bag bellows made by Camera now Custom Bellows, 3 International bale backs which are easily adaptable, and the standards could be easily used for project cameras.

I've been very honest about how I describe the camera, and have turned down a potential sale due to postal costs and my opinion that it's unsuitable for a first LF camera (except for Studio use).

So the quandary is do I sell as a whole, or split it into parts.

For example the 5x4 back could be unscrewed from it's plate and a new plate made to fit most cameras, likewise the half plate back, and the whole plate would be ideal for Wet plate work. It would be easy to adapt the bag bellows as well.

I guess I have a little sentimentality as this was my first LF camera, but any thoughts would be helpful.

Ian

BrianShaw
18-Oct-2010, 07:20
I understand both the quandry and the sentimental aspect of your question. If it were me, I'd tend toward selling as a whole. If it doesn't sell (or there are many requests for parts) I'd consider breaking it up. The risk, as you well know, is selling parts of it and then having to dispose of those parts not selling. That would break my heart... hence the tendency to try selling as a whole unless that turns out to be impossible.

IanG
19-Oct-2010, 10:04
Thanks Brian, Well after 3 days and one potential buyer I'll post it on this site next week :D See what happens.

I was too honest and told the potential buyer it was not the ideal first LF camera for him, as he was in Easter Europe the postage would have been close to the value of the camera, it's very heavy . . . .

My sentimental streak is more about sending the camera for recycling as scrap metal. I've held off listing here because it's in the UK and I don't fly back for a couple of days.

I will list as a whole camera but want to be far more specific about how it can be split for parts, and take some more photos.

Ian

jackpie
19-Oct-2010, 14:53
I would buy just the 5x7 back if offered the option.

I am in the UK.

Kuzano
19-Oct-2010, 16:14
Then make the completion of the sale conditional on taking the whole camera.

For instance, I have a 1969 Chevrolet 3 door suburban which is a bit of a cult vehicle in the auto world.

I haven't been able to sell it for as low as $500. (doesn't run, needs paint, but is all complete). Now interestingly, I could sell the excellent, rust free front clip (front end sheet metal) all day long over and over for $1000. So, I am going to start advertising the front clip for $1000 with the proviso that the buyer take the rest of the vehicle for free (it's a rolling chassis, which if restored sells frequently for $15,000 or more).

So, I have the feeling that buyers in the camera market are somewhat the same as buyers of unique vehicles.... can't see the trees for the forest, or vice versa.

As far as the purist approach (in either market), those who want to save the original item are often found to be hoarders. People with enough parts laying around to complete 20 back to original projects, but not one of them will ever see the road, or the top of a tripod, again.

Part it out and throw the rest away, or give it to the buyer of the last part that actually sells.

Think of it this way..... what are your heirs going to do with these items?