PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Workshops in NY

Bob Kerner
16-Oct-2010, 12:47
I'm inquiring about LF workshops in the NYC, Long Island area. I'm "returning" to LF after a long time and I never had proper instruction. I read the Simmons book way back when but think I could benefit from some hands on instruction. Don't want to make the same mistake; therefore, I'm looking for workshops or clubs that go over the very basic elements of LF camera handling, mechanics.

I found the Fine Focus Workshops up in NH, but they one for this year has been cancelled. That seems like an optimal model for my needs since they also let participants who don't have a camera borrow one for the workshop.

I know that ICP runs a program in Manhattan, but it's six weeks long in the afternoon as I recall and I cannot wiggle that much time off from work.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Please forgive the cross post down in "Meetings"

eddie
16-Oct-2010, 14:42
best in nyc

http://www.capworkshops.org/

Bob Kerner
16-Oct-2010, 16:49
Unless I'm missing something, I only see print-making workshops at CAP, nothing on the camera itself. Do they offer camera workshops and I'm just not seeing it on their course-offering list?

A couple of forum members have generously offered their resources, so I might start there and keep looking. I basically want to dip my toe, review basic operation of the camera movements so I can use that as a a guide to determining next steps.

El Topo
28-Oct-2010, 17:13
Hi Bob,

Don't know if you are still interested, but I just enrolled for a one week course at the ICP called "Portrait and the view camera". Looks interesting, is just 5 days and not expensive at all. It starts on January 8th.

I just got my flight ticket today!! (going from Spain).

Cheers.

Bob Kerner
28-Oct-2010, 18:24
Hi Bob,

Don't know if you are still interested, but I just enrolled for a one week course at the ICP called "Portrait and the view camera". Looks interesting, is just 5 days and not expensive at all. It starts on January 8th.

I just got my flight ticket today!! (going from Spain).

Cheers.

Thanks. Yes I know about that workshop but it's just a bit too long for me to take time off from work.

wager123
28-Oct-2010, 18:43
there are plenty of people around you try hooking up one and let them give you a quick course. heck get ahold of eddie in kingston he could help you.
mitch

Bob Kerner
28-Oct-2010, 18:55
there are plenty of people around you try hooking up one and let them give you a quick course. heck get ahold of eddie in kingston he could help you.
mitch

Yes, did that and he was amazingly gracious to let me work with one of his cameras for the day to refresh my memory of the mechanics of LF. Or as he put it, "ruin some film" in the camera. I'll find out in the morning how badly I ruined it!