PDA

View Full Version : Keeping adapter rings from sticking

Ed Richards
15-Oct-2010, 19:10
I am going to try one size of filters and use adapter rings to cut down on what I have to carry. Any tips on keeping adapter rings from sticking? I just tried a new B&W adapter and it locked itself like glue to my 77mm Hoya HMC filter. I gave up short of the vice grips and ordered a set of filter wrenches. Should I lubricate the filters, and if so, what could I use that will not coat every optical surface for blocks. Paraffin wax?

Gem Singer
15-Oct-2010, 19:24
Try running a soft lead pencil over the filter threads as well as the adapter ring threads.

Graphite works as a dry lubricant. Don't use a wet lubricant such as grease or oil.

SW Rick
15-Oct-2010, 19:43
I've found it helpful to use a piece of that mesh kitchen shelf lining or the rubber grip pads used for opening jars. Lay that on a flat surface, then place the front of the filter or adapter ring on it, and press down evenly while turning. This has done the trick for me, and I carry one with me in the field, as problems usually occur when least convenient.

Keith Pitman
15-Oct-2010, 21:29
Sometimes you can grip just one point on the edge of the filter between two fingers and separate the filter. Also, I've found that filters and step rings lock up more frequenly in cold weather. Setting the lens in the sun on the dashboard helps to separate them. Don't drive away with the lens on your dashboard, though!

Jerry Bodine
15-Oct-2010, 22:23
What Keith said. I remember reading in some Leica literature (a long time ago) that if a filter refuses to loosen, just grab the filter ring at one place on its circumference between your thumb and forefinger and turn, rather than grabbing the ring at opposite sides and turning. And by golly, it works really well!

Apparently what happens with the "opposite sides" method is that pinching from opposite sides causes the ring to try to become oblong, i.e., decreasing the ring diameter between the two pinch points and increasing the diameter at 90-deg to the pinch. The increased diameter causes friction against the ring's threads, thus creating resistance to the unscrewing torque.

Hope this makes sense.

Sal Santamaura
15-Oct-2010, 23:05
...Any tips on keeping adapter rings from sticking?...The proper term is "galling." The only way I've found to avoid it is by using Heliopan rings. They're made of brass and, unlike all other brands (aluminum), won't gall when screwed into the aluminum lens threads. They also don't usually bind with Heliopan or B+W brass-rimmed filters.

Eric Woodbury
16-Oct-2010, 06:13
Keep the threads clean. Any grit and your done for. A toothbrush cleans the threads well. The lube with graphite or wax. Graphite you can buy as a lock lubricant. It is dry and doesn't attract dirt. Wax is dry, but if you have very much, dirt would stick. If you feel grit when you put them together, back off and don't go ahead without cleaning. I've never had a problem...well maybe once ... or

John Koehrer
16-Oct-2010, 11:39
I'd agree with Gem_Singer using the pencil graphite. Canning wax will also work and much more messy is anti-seize compound use automobile work

Ed Richards
16-Oct-2010, 18:54
Tried the pencil trick, but then I get graphite on my fingers when I handle the filter. There is a fluorinated synthetic grease for preventing galling that I found. Claims to take a tiny amount and does not make a mess. Ordered a little bit to try.

Photomagica
18-Oct-2010, 22:52
Yes - you don't want to use pencil "lead" or graphite - messy. Wax works because the anodizing or other coating on most filters is slightly porous. This porous roughness contributes to the typical binding. The tiny pours also nicely capture the wax so it is retained on the ring. After the wax is applied to the threads and wiped off the surface is so smooth that there is no concern about retaining dust. I use a hard paraffin. There is also a commercial drawer slide wax with a name like "Drawer Eaze" that works great.

This wax trick is also great on zippers - so if your fly keeps getting stuck . .:)
Cheers,
Bill

Marko Trebusak
20-Oct-2010, 00:18
The proper term is "galling." The only way I've found to avoid it is by using Heliopan rings. They're made of brass and, unlike all other brands (aluminum), won't gall when screwed into the aluminum lens threads. They also don't usually bind with Heliopan or B+W brass-rimmed filters.

Well, that's what I had in mind when ordering step-up rings. But then my polarizer (brass) galled to step-up ring (brass). Luckily it went loose when it was really cold (-15 degrees Centigrade). Since then I brushed off the paint on both threads and I try not to screw filter tight, and so far it works.

Cheers,
Marko

evan clarke
20-Oct-2010, 04:45
Grabbing them on the edge works like a miracle, don't tighten the filter too much into the step up ring. It's really nice to have one uniform set of filters..EC

Sevo
20-Oct-2010, 05:13
For long term brass/aluminium combinations I use commercial anti-seize copper paste (Loctite Anti-Seize) - but that has all the contamination risks of both grease and graphite, and is overkill on screw connections within one material or for a filter only mounted for a few hours.