PDA

View Full Version : Graflok back for wooden 4x5 camera

B.S.Kumar
15-Oct-2010, 17:36
I am helping a friend sell off his late father's huge stash of camera equipment - mostly large format and some medium format cameras, lenses and accessories. Naturally, I have first dibs on everything :) I will list everything else in a few days.

So, there is a small, light wooden 4x5 camera with a spring back. It takes Technika type boards, so that is the main attraction. The back doesn't open wide enough for Polaroid or slip-in roll film holders. I have a spare Horseman Graflok back that I'd like to place in a wooden frame, so that it can clip onto the camera in the same way as the spring back. I do not want to damage the Horseman back in any way. I can post some photos later to illustrate what I want, but I think this probably has been done a million times already.

Now, my woodworking skills are certain to destroy the camera. I know that many of you are experts at crafting such things. Would someone be willing to do this for me? There would be compensation, certainly. Perhaps in the form of equipment, or some nice cash :)

Please let me know.

Best,
Kumar

John Koehrer
16-Oct-2010, 11:22
I just built a replacement back for my 5X7, it's not difficult if you have a router.
I would think that you would be able to find a local craftsman to make one more quickly. I don't know about expense though.
I have a Graflok back for the camera that someone modified to the camera & it looks like they used plywood to fabricate the spacer it's very crude.

B.S.Kumar
16-Oct-2010, 21:48
John,

Thank you for the offer. My camera measures 171mm square on the outside, and the inner part that goes into the camera is 156mm square, so your back probably won't fit.
The Horseman back is 139mm square, so I need a frame 171mm square on the outside, and 139mm on the inside, with clips to let me fit the Horseman back in the frame.

Locating someone here is of course possible, but probably more expensive.

Kumar